New Meat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Meat

First let me say this site is FANTASTIC!! I bought a 79 xs1100sf (my first REAL bike-a honda aero50 and a trail 110 don't count!) about two months ago from a gal at work whose husband passed away last year (Luekimia). It hadn't been tabbed in 10 years and not started in 5, with 26,000 on her. Thanks to this site I have rebiult the front brake system and the carbs 3 or 4 times before I got it to stay at 1000 rpm at idle. Bread ties are my newest tool!!! Can't afford any merc sticks yet, but might try the vacuum gauge I saw in the tech tips.

I am still messing with the mixture as it was running WAY to lean ( can you say cracked insulator) of course this was after going on a tank draining tour a couple saturdays ago. I finally had a little color after redoing the Mikunis this last weekend. I think another 1/4 turn out is going to do it. If it wasn't for this site and all I have learned in the last two months, I would be pulling what is left of my hair out!

Most of my buddies have HDs and they were smoking me before I redid the carbs. I think they will be surprised on our next ride, she runs A LOT better now! I am anxiuos to see how she does after I get her dialed in.

So far I have only put in new plugs, oil, filter,headlight bulb, front brakes and a front MC rebuild kit. Even though it sat, the PO took care of it. Not one crack in the tires and they look almost new(Metzlers). They will be replaced this winter for GP and so I can feel safe hitting 80+.

Now for the bad news.............

I have my daugher for the month and can't take any long (4+ HRS)road trips until she goes back to her momma at the end of the month.
    I have noticed there are several of you live in the puget sound and am wondering if you ever get together for rides?

Again, let me say thanks to all you Gurus who are sharing your knowledge to keep these machines on the road dusting off lesser machines. Now if only I didn't have to fill up every 100 miles I would be XStatic!

I would post a pic but I am out of town and can't get to them till Friday, I'll try then.
    1979XS100SF
    2007 Dyna wide glide
    Too many dodge trucks to list!

I have noticed there are several of you live in the puget sound and am wondering if you ever get together for rides?
    The sad fact is that we all hate each other!
    Actually... that wouldn't be such a bad idea.
    My schedule is pretty well eaten up right now, but sometime towards the end of September things would look different.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

10 year old "almost new(Metzlers)"???

Had an old set tires on my 80G. Thought what a crappy handling bike XS's were. Top heavy, rut followen, drifting sob.

Rode it for several thousand miles that way. Finally got some new rubber but was not expecting much of a change.

Pleasantly surprised, stops way better, not in the rut's anymore, and goes around corners w/o slide'n. Hard old tires in the rain may give you a surprise you don't want too.

mro

Comment

Sounds like lots of hard work and fun play all wraped into one.

This site rocks and the guys that offer all the knowledge are a great assest to the rest of us!
        JimBoReeno
        My Ex!"Half-Breed"
        '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
        '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
        2000 Indian Chief
        Millennium Edition

Comment

Working...
        X