Type of helmet poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of helmet poll

I have read lots of threads about helmet usage, and non usage, but I have not seen much on the different TYPES of helmets people are wearing. I am looking to replace the helmets I got from the PO of my bike.

My question is for the helmet wearers..

What type do you wear most often??
    Full Face
    73.64%
    3/4 or Open Face
    17.27%
    1/2 - Lid - Beanie
    8.18%
    Novelty
    0.91%
    JimBoReeno
    My Ex!"Half-Breed"
    '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
    '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
    2000 Indian Chief
    Millennium Edition

.. i wear a full face helmet all of the time. it is an Icon and only cost about 160 bucks. i have fallen off several times and skidded down the road on what would have been my face, had i not been wearing a full face helmet. another benefit is that full face helmets are more aerodynamic than most peoples heads[thats right, i said most people].
    when its real hot i leave the visor cracked open a little, when i have to ride a bike that has a wind shield or fairing, i leave the visor fully open.

Comment

+helmets

haven't purchaseds one yet but WE will have the xs700 http://www.scorpionusa.com/products/..._raider.html:D

Comment

All the gear all the time

If you would have see my last Helmet you would understand why I will were my full face and the rest of my gear all the time.

XSively
        Bruce
        Bruce Gerken
        '79 XS1100SF
        "The Black"
        '2009 BMW k1300GT'
        The Red Sled.
        St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

I have a ZEUS full face with the wrap around chin piece that flips up. Easier to burn a smoke when riding. I too have fallen off of a bike and have found that it hurts and not to do that anymore. If your going to were a helmet, Might as well be a full face. It will save your chin.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Current helmet is an ageing Shoei RF105V. I have virtually worn it out. Had to replace the padding inside. Will be buying a new one soon. I am leaning toward a full face with a flip up chin section, looks real handy. I have budgeted about $300 for a new one. The scooter mags have done some in depth testing on flip-ups and regular full face skid lids. I will be looking for Snell approval (or the european equal), good venting and light weight. I was surprised to find out that Cycle Gear offers 30 day trials for all there helmets. If you don't like it bring it back and try another!!! Try that with the mail order folks.

I went to a full face after a nasty broadside accident that I had on a open face (captain america graphics). They did a geat job of sewing my chin back together.

I still have my first open face, Bell Star, circa 1974. Its on "static" display in my garage.
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Wear full face Nolan, but removed the face shield. Prefer a little wind in my face.

mro
              eventually will get armored pants/jacket
              hope to have before hitting the ground.............agin

mro

Comment

Full with the flip up face style also. You can find really nice ones on Ebay. If you have 300 bucks to spend on one, you could buy at least 3 of them there for that!

I do like SHOEI's fastening system though better than anyone else's... just like a little seat belt buckle.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Shoei TZ1 full face.
                  I was interested in the flip-face helmets until I got to thinking about their construction. The chinbar that pivots is held on by 2 screws. Those two screws are all that's keeping the chinbar to the helmet. The chinbar is latched down by a tiny piece of plastic. That's all that's keeping that chinbar in front of your face.
                  I'll stick with a standard, one piece full-face helmet. I consider the flip-face helmets an open-face.
                  Just my opinion and prefrance
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Old Shoei RF700 full-face with 1 of 2 visors, clear for evening/dark days and high-vis (orange tint) for most of my riding. Shoei fits my head better than others I've tried, also have a full-face HJC (with heated visor) for snowmobiling.

Your jaw is a weak joint; best protect it with something or it will get messed up in an accident. Besides, full-face is quieter, at the loss of a lot of fresh air. Like a few others, I often ride with my visor opened a bit.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

i always wear a full face on bikes and sleds . i live in the country and june bugs sting at 60 mph. and frost bite is a bad thing.
                      one day im gonna ride it

Comment

I just got my first full face helmet, a Shoei TZ-R traveller. What a difference wearing this helmet makes! It's almost like riding with a fairing. I've always worn an open face with a flip up screen, but this thing is soooo much quieter, I don't even need earplugs with it. The quality of this lid is beyond anything I've worn before. I wish everything was this well made. Attention to detail is faultless. When I have tried on full face helmets in the store before, they always made me feel a little claustrophobic, but once you get out on the road, all is good.
                        I got it on e-bay for $135.00. It was a display model, but after a good cleaning,( not that it needed it), I am very happy. I don't know if this helmet or any other is worth the $400 list price, but I am very happy with my purchase.
                        Mark Stanton
                        78XS11e

Comment

Full face Shoei. Will probaly replace with a flip over the winter.

As for the DOT/Snell certs, (I saw some post about snell and the chin bars), there was a good cycle world article about it a few years ago.

DOT looks at lower inpact, but more hits, while snell looks at higher inpact, but only one hit. Both is the best, of course, but Snell does not have a standard for flip helmets, and so does not test or certify them.

Flip helmets are popular with the LDRider crowd (Where 800miles for lunch is not just normal, but not really far enough away), and there have been several get-off with the flips. I am not aware of any that resulted in the failure of the chin bar, but that is not exactly scientific either.

I would not be worried about a quality flip helmet. I let my fiancee get one, and I sure want her face to stay the way it is. But, like all gear, different people are going to have different comfort levels.
                          I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Got a schubert concept...
                            a good quality modular pot. Flip for the rest of the world I guess.
                            Not really comfortable riding with the chin part up, but good enuff for the occasional smoke through the city.
                            Very nice venting, actually usable, but not the cheapest (hey, I love myself the most)

LP
                            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I was using full stationary full faces. I now have switched over to the flip ups, it's nice to be able to flip it up at the stops and breathe. I'm a little claustrophobic. I used to wear open face helmets and goggles until a chance encounter with a Bumble Bee...
                              Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                              78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                              02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Working...
                              X