Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• street legal

Hi,

Just wondering if these kinds of brake light mods are street legal?

BRAKE_LIGHT_MODIFICATIONS

I live in California and I have searched DMV for info

CA_DMV

but - how strange - couldn't find anything useful...

ALSO

on the subject of street legality, I'd like to tint the windows on my car and am told that ALL tinting is technically illegal in CA, or I've heard that you can tint the heck out of any window except the front and drivers side? Which is it and how do I know for sure?

Thanks!!

-Patrick Kennedy

p.s. My ride with doors and windows is a gorgeous 2 owner '78 300D Mercedes-Benz with only 88K original miles - all the electricals/AC/power windows still work!! ^_^ I just had it set up to run on straight vegetable oil too! Check it out:

RUNS_ON_CORN_OIL
    Your Mileage May Vary

You should have no problems with those bulbs other than the fact that you tail/brake light will be dimmer (I have some on my LG). Led bulbs shine in one direction as opposed to incadesent bulbs which shine in a full circle. Part of what makes our tail lights bright is the light reflecting off the backing plate inside the housing. The LEDs will shine straight out at 45 degrees (our bulbs are angled).

It is illegal to tint any window farther forward than the drivers nose. All windows behind the driver can be blacked-out if you want as long as you have a right and left rearview mirror (cargo vans, all metal, no windows). Tint the back and side windows dark and the front two not as dark and you might get away with it (like with our Suburban ). CHP carries a meter that reads the tint of windows so they can nab you if they're in a mood for it. Another tip-off that windows are tinted is the 1/4" border where there is no film (seal tears it loose). A partially rolled-down window can give this away.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

cool - i was thinking about putting it on my LG too, but if it is dimmer, maybe I'll just stay stock...

thanks for the 411 on the 5-0. I've had that encounter with what must have been a bored CHP officer with nothing better to do. . .

Thanks again
      !
      Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Hey Pat Kennedy,

The LED's are dimmer than OEM bulbs, but IF you are wanting to save amps and your charging system resources, you can get one of those large 56 bulb truck light arrays, they will fit inside the Specials wide tail light, much wider and shining directly back thru the lens, not at an angle from being in the sockets!

Or, you can get plates of LED's mounted on loose boards with wires attached to the 1157 plug ends, so you can keep your OEM sockets, and still have large bulb arrays that you can position aiming rearwards. Check out Superbrightleds.com, there is a link to them IIRC in the links section, if not, I know I updated one in the tech tip I posted for the LED replacements of turn signals and brake lights!

Plus, the LED technology is getting better, and the bulbs are getting bigger and brighter, I've seen some trucks that I would have had NO PROBLEM seeing with the sun shining directly on the lights!!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Bright LED's

I got two 4" long Red LED strips and mounted them with sticky tape to a plate vertically on each side of my licence plate, legal, and mounting bolts for the plate with LED's, all running light connected, and a 19" long red LED mounted accross the back of the top box connected to the brake light circute. Only problem is the LED's around the license are so darn bright it's impossible to read the numbers on the plate and it's still legal. He He He HP man said he liked it. All this bright red stuff and all for around $40 at JC Whitney and it uses almost no electricity at all.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Problem with LED's

The LED replacements for the bulb won't work on my bike because there would be no white light shining down through the clear section of the tailight to iluminate the license plate.
            You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system

Comment

thanks you guys. I really appreciate all the input!
              -pdk
              Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

Hey Dick,

The LED's draw such little power, you could easily ADD a pair of white LED's to shine down thru the clear section to lite up the plate!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I know...

TC, I don't have a power problem, I just wanted to have a "brighter back end". I don't know why there is so much complaining about the charging system. I think that 23 AMPS is is plenty of charging power. Until recently, most autos only had a 30 AMP alternator unles the car was equipped with AC and an electric fan. I figure it takes about 5 HP to provide 30 AMPS of current.

Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system

Comment

Working...