Going Going... not QUITE gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going Going... not QUITE gone

I posted a thread a while back and we all discussed the bluing of the pipes, and after much discussion, it was determined that mine were that way due to running rich. I have since installed the individual air pods, and even though I haven't ridden the bike alot like that, there is a very noticeable difference in the amount of bluing that is now on the pipes. I haven't cleaned them or put anything on them. I realize I am now running leaner. Is this something like a tempering process for the pipes each time you ride.... if the fuel mixture is right, will the silver chrome eventually return? I swear I haven't been smoking anything. I can post some before and after pics to show you if you'd like.... just didn't know if someone had an easy explanation or had ever noticed this.

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Sounds like you do not have the stock pipes anymore. Aftermaket pipes are single wall tubing. Unfortunatly, the blueing will never go away completley. There is a product called Blue Away but is marginal at best at removing the blueing. Blueing is indicative of a lean fuel mix resulting in higher exhaust temps resulting in blued pipes. Personally, I always liked the "blued look", but then again I eat all my veggies.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Well, first of all, I'm betting the pipes are still stock since the mufflers are. I have definately been wrong before though. We had discussed this in another thread and learned that bluing comes from a lean as well as a rich mixture. Lean tends to blue the pipes closely to the head due to overheating in the cylinders themselves, while a rich mixture is actually still combusting in the header and makes for a long blue pipe.

I went and took a quick picture.... here's the pipe before

And here's after. Different angle, but you get the idea.

It's kind of hard to tell with pictures, but was just wondering if anyone has ever experienced this with blued pipes.

On a side note.... last time I really got to ride this thing, I was in a heavy coat and gloves. Today was the first time back on the road... charging under her own power. It immediately made me think how bad she needs a bath, and that the cheap generic pod filters from Partsnmore will be on sale to anyone who may want the things as soon as I get some decent ones in. Thanks again to Tony (Geezer) for all his electrical help.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own