Hard Saddlebags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Saddlebags

Hi everyone. I own a XS1100SF. I've noticed that some of the later models of the XS have a fairing, box and panniers. I like the idea of fitting a set of those panniers with chrome steelwork to my SF but without the fairing. My question to all you members is have you any experiances in doing this? Will they fit? If so have you had any problems? Which models have these extra's fitted as standard so I may look out for them on Ebay? Any responces will be gratefully recieved.

2 countries divided by a common language!

Hey Ardvark,

Where's your missing "a" in your handle? Must be the "English" spelling?

Had to do a little search in the TECH section to find references for "panniers" to remember what they were. Here in the colonies we call them saddlebags, and when you're looking for them on Ebay, you'll want to use that term as well!

The Venture model of the XS, 81H is one that came with it standard. I think the bags were optional equipment for anyone with the $$ for them.

There could be a little difficulty mounting them onto your special frame, but would probably just involve fabbing a bracket for the mounts, they should otherwise fit fairly easily.

You can do a search for saddlebags and find lots of posts, many with photos about what folks have done. I even fabbed up a set out of diamond plate tool boxes!

I've seen NEW smaller hard bags on Ebay for relatively cheap prices, about $100.00 a pair, they ARE smaller, but you may not want that much storage space??
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi Topcat thanks for your reply. Will make a note of the different names and have a look. As for mis spelling of my handle Ive had it for donkeys years and didnt realise there was two As at the beginning till Id had it for sometime and it was pointed out to me many moons ago. By that time Id got use to it and prefer it this way. By that time that spelling was on a lot of my paperwork and to change it would be more trouble than it was worth. Thanks again.

Al the Ardvark

Comment

Hard Saddlebags

Hi everyone. I own a XS1100SF. I've noticed that some of the later models of the XS have a fairing, box and saddlebags. I like the idea of fitting a set of those saddlebags with chrome steelwork to my SF but without the fairing. My question to all you members is have you any experiances in doing this? Will they fit? If so have you had any problems? Which models have these extra's fitted as standard so I may look out for them on Ebay? Any responces will be gratefully recieved.

ps Thanks to TopCat for advising me to the correct terminoligy ( I think you spell it that way)

Comment

Panniers, fork gaitors, saddle bags, fork covers. We are bilingual.
          When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Originally posted by webbcraft2150
            Panniers, fork gaitors, saddle bags, fork covers. We are bilingual.
            Potato, potato, - no wait, that would be a H@r!!ey. What would that make us?
            Ken Talbot

Comment

Potato, Potato? Are we cracking up here? Looks like these ere Panniers/ Saddlebags are hard to find these days. I'll keep me peepers peeled to see what I can come up with. I dare say the lingo difference can be funny at times but we all are singing from the same song sheet in the end.

Comment

Spuds are for Puds

Potato, potato, - no wait, that would be a H@r!!ey. What would that make us?
                "Rice, Rice, Baby" Rice is Nice!
                Vroooom is usually how mine goes!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

I bet that shipping those across the pond would be pretty high. I have leather bags that I can put on or take off at a moments notice. Just have to do some modding to the turn signals and such. pretty easy and cheap compared to hard bags.
                  Travis Miller
                  1978 E

Comment

Hard Saddlebags

The ones I'm after I would be able to fit a helmet in. Save me lugging the thing around with me when visiting places. Don't fancy a top box, ruins the look of the bike don't you think?

Comment

Helmet sized "Panniers"?

Hey Ardvark1,

Unless you are using one of those 1/2 helmets=bad, finding the "bags" wide enough to hold a fullface helmet is a very tall...
                      errrr....wide order indeed!! Good Luck.

Btw, it seems that the UK term panniers is more for bicycle bags more so than motorcycle bags, although many folks posted both terms in their items on eBAY.
                      T.C.
                      T. C. Gresham

Comment

Hi TC,
                        I know there is a differance in the lingo we both use. Makes me smile sometimes. I dare say some of the termanolgy I use have ppl your end in stitches as well. At the end of the day we are both bikers and that is what counts.

Al the Ardvark

Comment

Saddlebags, panniers....

There were a couple ways to go for the XS 11. Factory bags were a bit narrower and had some extra chrome that came with them. Big problem these days is finding / repairing/ replacing the top-mounted covers, which seem to fall off or crack. Covers are no longer available from Yamaha.

After market bags from Vetter are popular; I have a set on my XJ. They are a bit triangular in shape, bottom is wider than the top, but hold a bit more than the Yamaha stock units. Vetter also sold a matching trunk / luggage rack that fits the Vetter frames. The bags are not model specific, but the mounting frames are. However, the frames are fairly easy to modify to fit most bikes if you can't find the exact match. Bags are detachable (key lock releases bags from frames) but I leave mine on most of the time. The Vetter frames come with mounts for the tail lights, you may have to extend the wiring to make the lights work once they have been relocated.

One member, Maximan, made mounts to fit bags from a Yamaha Venture to his XJ, and it looks nice. He made the mount out of aluminum plate, proving you can go the custom route if you have the tools and time.

Vetter had an early style, not common, and late style bags which come up on eBay quite often. Some times the key are missing or the locks are bad, but (over here) replacements can be found at any good hardware store, so really is not much of an issue. Getting the bags open to replace the locks is the hard part.

In looking for hard bags, questions to ask include:

Keys?
                          Locks OK?
                          Mounting hardware (frames)?
                          Condition: cracks, loose/missing rivits and bolts, rust on chrome,
                          scrapes / marks?

I find having the bags, even on short trips, is very convenient. I can carry a camera, beverage, a few tools, gloves, windshield cleaner, lunch, and other odds and ends without having to go to a tank bag or carry stuff in a backpack. The benefit is worth the effort of getting bags on your bike.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Cheers M8. There are 2 sets on your ebay atm. I'll keep an eye on them

Comment

You could do a custom job, here is the only known XJ1100 Interstate

The only known XJ1100 Interstate

Comment

Working...
                              X