Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hiking the High Sierra Trail in CA

Hi all-
    I'm planning a trip to CA in mid-August. A few buddies and I are planning on hiking the High Sierra Trail from Crescent Meadow to Whitney Portal (82 mi.) over a 6-7 day period.

Do any fellow XS'ers have any advice for a relatively-new-to-mountain-backpacking guy? Either about the trail itself, weather patterns to watch out for, other stuff to watch out for, backpacking in general, etc...

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

-Erik
    -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
    '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
    ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Bears, what bears

I hope at least one of you guys is experienced, if not, you should try out a short 2 or 3 day trip a few times first.

Get good topo map and compass. Know how to read it. Plan first day easy to get used to air. August is hot up there while sun is out, so be prepared for that and would be surprised should you not come across at least a few snakes. Inexperienced people seem to have a way of finding them. Don't over load pack, but still need to plan for unexpected $hit.

Used to backpack above Hetch Hetchy regularly. Prefer early spring and late fall myself, fewer people and kids in school.

mro

Comment

Eric,
      It's been too many years since I've done a high sierra trip, but this is what I remember about it.
      1. It will rain/thunderstorm every day about 3:00pm. Bring rain gear.
      2. Keep ALL food away from the tents, and up in a tree via rope at night. (bears)
      3. Try to give yourself one or two days at 5K' or higher to adjust to the high altitude.
      4. Enjoy the hike, and take plenty of pictures.
      5. The lakes are COLD!!!
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I agree Ray. If you don't take time to get used to high altitude it will ruin your day. My house is at 7018ft (GPS) and when my lowland family comes out I have to remind them every time to take it easy. Hiking Pikes Peak almost killed me. I've never run into any dangerous snakes in the sierras personally but I did watch a cougar sprint up the next ridge on Fort Hunter Liggett once and that straightened the hair on the back of my neck right up.

Clark

Comment

I've done a couple 3-day backcountry trips. Last year to Mt. Robson in BC and Skoki (sp?) in Banff. We do have experience w/ topo maps and compass reading. I've also been quizzing other friends about mountain backpacking. The one thing everybody has stressed was planning for time to adjust to the altitude.

How heavy do the rains tend to be, and for how long do they typically last? Am I looking at soggy boots monsoons, or nice refreshing sprinkles?

As long as the cats are in front of me and not behind me, I'm happy.
          -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
          '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
          ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

We waited out the rain, for the most part. It was usually about 1 hour or less, and there is lightning!! best to find a low place , not to close to trees to wait it out. We had ponchos, and that was all we needed.
            The views should be grand, but do watch out for the bears. If you see a cub, slowly go the other way!! DO NOT get between a cub and mama.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Gave up hiking years ago. I only go as far into the mountains as LO-LOC will get me. On the serious side, plan, plan, plan. Figure on the worst and expect the best. Something as simple as spare boot laces can make a world of difference when you bust one 20 miles back in the woods. Read up on the right foods to take. Your gonna burn calories like mad. That coupled with the altitude could make you miserable. Start a conditioning program NOW. When I started my lowly desert racing career years ago, I blew off any conditioning program before my first race.(10 ft tall and bullet proof back then), I spent the next three days trying to figure out what muscles I could have used that would make my fingernails sore! Hell, my hair even hurt. Prepped right for the next 100 mile race and actually could move the next day. Backpacking into the mountains is not unlike riding on the street, you hafta watch your ass all the time. You guys have fun, cover each others 6 and post a "hike" report when you get back.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Go to a good backpacking store and get one of those water filter pumps for drinking and cooking water. It may look clean, but micro oganisms can make your life really miserable. Have fun.

Steve
                80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                Norton Electra - future restore
                CZ 400 MX'er
                68 Ducati Scrambler
                RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
                X