car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car

Hey, smart xs'ers. Here's an electrical question relating to my neighbor's car. If I can fix his old dodge, I figure it earns me refrigerator priveleges (and he drinks the expensive beers).

His cooling fan went out. instead of tracking down a short or replacing a relay, I said, let's just by-pass it. I cut the wire, jumped it to the battery, and voila, the fan came back to life. I thought, well, I'll just hook it to the alternator, it'll come on when the car is running, turn off when the car is not running, and no one will ever have to worry about it again. I hooked it to the alternator, but even with the car off, the fan started right up. Shouldn't the alternator only put out power when the belt is turning it? i don't know.

Anyway, where should I run this jumper wire to the fan so that it only runs when the car is running?

Thanks guys. And remember, successful electrical work keeps a fellow xs'er in expensive beers, at least through the summer.

Bobby
    1979 XS1100 Special

First, a word of warning, wiring a fan to run all the time will cause the fan motor to burn out much sooner. Second, it will affect the way the sensors on the car work because the engine will not always reach optimum temperature, particularily in the winter.

That being said, I would look to splice into an accessory line, such as the AC controls (if the fan is problematic, then more than likely, AC is old enough to not work either). I'd avoid ignition circuits for the same reason you try to avoid drawing down the voltage on an XS, the igntion will fail to work if the voltage draw gets too great and you fall below a set voltage.

The fan is running all the time because the alternator is connected to the battery to charge it. Fiund a switched circuit.
    Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
    78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
    02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

cooling fan

Don't know how long the electric fan will last before you burn it out if you wire it direct.

Fan only runs when needed and is not needed all the time, like above 30 MPH. A thermostat regulates fan which may be bad and why it's not working.

mro

Comment

Okay, just noticed you are in Florida (lucky B@#^%$*), ignore the comment about proper temperature in the winter (although it does hit freezing in T'hassee, right?).
        Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

Hi ya BLUEJEEPLAB

What you said

Can freeze all the way down to Miami too

Been there, done that

mro

Comment

Hey there Brock, not sure what flavor vehicle your on, but there is a electic sensor screwed in radiator tank. replacing that should solve your problem. There may be more than one(other would regulate timing advance according to engine temp.) Follow out wires as to which temp sensor goes to fan. Had same problem on girlfriends 91 Voyager, and just wired it to a wire in loom under hood that was ignition hot with key on. Has been working like this for over two years now with no problems and temp gauge stays constant when at operating temp.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

"I'm a big fan of yours!"

Yeah, there should be a temp. sensor on the block that tells the fan when to turn on. (My fans are always turned on, but then again, my fans adore me)
              Should the fan be on all the time? Had to hotwire the fan on my Camaro when the sensor failed, ran it like that for years. Ex wife's hubby, who is rather "mechanically declined", dicked with my son's starter and messed up the sensor wire somewhere, so I hot wired him, too. (Son's car, not the ex's hubby).
              ((To not have the fan running all the time, I would wire it to the wiper switch. When the engine gets too hot, anti freeze starts to boil and the steam and antifreeze spray will then get on your windshield to let you know you're too hot. Turning on the wipers not only cleans the windshield again, but also turns on the fan to cool down the engine. sort of "...two birds with one stone, thing"))
              Find the temperature sensor for the fan and replace it, provided the wires are not the culpret.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

"More fan mail..."

but there is a electic sensor screwed in radiator tank
                Mine was a sensor on the block.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Park the freakin car and buy a XS11. Problem solved.
                  When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

There should also be something from the A/C system. When you turn on the A/C, that fan should come on. I know a replacement fan can be over 100 bucks aftermarket, but it does sound like just a sensor out... no idea on a price for that. I would check that before I started using that "Southern Inginuity" on it.

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

When I bought my '92 Saturn, fan would not come on. Through user group information I traced it to a bad coolant sensor in the block. Replaced sensor, fan comes on at right temp and no problems. Same sensor feeds info to the FI system as part of the enrichment system.

I'ld take the time to fix it right. Sensor was around $13.00, not worth 'custom" wiring and problems it might bring, and it is likely the same sensor is causing trouble elsewhere.

Do a web search for the brand/model and try to find a user group; a lot of tech info (just like XS11.com!) floats around and the fan issue has probably been addressed.

Any other Saturn owners, check out www.saturnfans.com
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Fix It / Or Modify?

Brock,
                        Two ways to check cooling fan-------1) Turn a/c on, fan should come on 2) Hot wire ( i.e. youv'e done that)
                        Prob. most likely cooling sensor on block located around thermostat area. If you choose to modify, under dash at fuse block find acc. term. You can run wire off that to toggle switch, from toggle switch to fan--------- Then, IF operator is AWARE of their vehical, run fan as needed!
                        JMO, Been there----------done that!!!!!!! Jack of all, Master of none!!!!!!!!! Oh well, just think of all the experience
                        "Elvira"
                        '80 XS1100LG

Comment

JMO, Been there----------done that!!!!!!! Jack of all, Master of none!!!!!!!!!

Huhhuhh huhhuhhuhh, huh, he said ... Jack.

Sorry, feeling infantile and missing good ole B and B. Have to go home and watch the tapes tonight I guess.
                          Papa Gino

78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"

Comment

Me too

My daughter had the same prob with her car. I finally went to NAPA and bought a fan kit. It is a unit that you mount under the hood.It has a temp probe that you install in the radiator hose and it splices in to any hot wire. You just turn the knob on it to come on at the temp that you pick. About $40. Money well spent!
                            Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special
                            1979 650 Special - sold (Stupid Me!)

Comment

It would really help to know what year the Dodge is. You say old so I'm guessing early 80's to early 90's. I know. A lot of years there. Some are right about the temp switch being in the radiator or by the temp housing. The problem is some Dodge's had both. More then likely the switch on the radiator is bad. You can pull the plug and make a jumper wire and let the plug lay down away from the fan. This worked on my moms old 84 Newyorker. Or if you really want to you can wire the fan to the hot wire on the coil. Just find which one is the ground. It's not good to do it this way but it can be done as a temp fix. The switch for it isn't that high. If you neighbor goes to replace it be carefull as you have antifreeze to deal with. No mater which temp switch you replace. Also the reason why the wire on the alternator ran the fan when the car is shut off is the alternator needs a hot wire all the time to make it work. That is why they say disconnect the battery when replacing the alternator as that wire is hot at all times. Most cars are like this. That is also one way you can hotwire an old car. Just run a jumper wire from the alt to the hot side of coil and short out the starter and your off. No radio of signals but the brakes lights work as with the headlights. And it's best to do it with a car that the steering wheel doesn't lock. Don't ask me how I know this
                              Hope this was some help. After all I love MOPARS!
                              Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                              87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                              93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                              71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                              69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Working...
                              X