Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the deal with your speedo, Ray?
    I'm not Ray but mabee I can help.
    The cable is broken about half way, in the middle of the sheath. Pulled both ends off and tried to turn by hand. Was very hard to turn. Kinda like,,, Lack- o- lube... Was going to do the ol' switch-a-roo with MIYAMI but I have an SF and they would not interchange. Looked on the shelf, only had what's left of a broken cable from a Kawi... Dammm Not gonna work. We road at different speeds and judged his tach against my speedo (UUooo,,, I said speeedo)
    We did 30, 35, 40, 45, 55, 60, 65, 70, and 80mph,
    Ray,,, Glad the JB worked for the time being. Hope it stayes for the rest of your quest.. As the ol' saying goes God Speed.
    S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
    1-big XS patch
    1-small XS/XJ patch
    1-XS/XJ owners pin.
    1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
    2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
    1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
    1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Czekus21
      As the ol' saying goes God Speed.
      Hmmmm...maybe in this case we should say...
      God Speedo!

Comment

"But I don't get cable!"

Thanks, Czekus.
        Ray, when you read this, I gots a cable ready fer ye.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Well, I made it to beautiful Ritzville, WA. I figured since I have about two hours of nothing to ride through, and the fact that it's getting COLD! (down to 70 F.), I'd stop for the night.
          I've been running between 4500 and 5K RPMs, so the gas is only going about 100 to 120 until reserve. I did have it at 5400 for a little while, as that seems to be a sweet spot. The bad news is that will give me a chance to talk with the local troopers, and I'm trying NOT to do that. Once I get a new speedo cable, I'll be back to my old ways....
          I did stop a few times today, both to eat, and at a used book store in Montana. I have a hard time passing book stores, as I'm looking for a few books in an old Sci-Fi series.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Cept for a bit sore and tired back-side, glad to hear that the XS is pretty much behaving Ray...............that's a long haul on any bike!
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

"An interesting man, our Ray."

Pulled in fer a quick pitstop at the shop. Bike and rider both holding up well.
              Gabbed fer a coupl'a hours as he gave the bike a quick "once over". (Oil change, new plugs, and a functioning speedo cable)
              A bright flash of LED tail lights, and he was off chasing the fading sunset once again.
              Get home safe, Ray.
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Well, I'm getting close to home... I'm in Yreka, CA. Met with Geezer today, and had a talk about the charging system. I now know I'll be pulling the bike down for a complete wire harness check very soon. I had to top off the battery once again, and so I'll be keeping an eye on it.
                Thanks to prometheus578, the bike is back to running great, and letting me know just how fast I'm going. It's been a great trip, and being able to meet some of the people, and wordsmiths, we write to all the time.
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

Ray

Glad to hear you're almost home.

I will likely be returning the favor in about a month if everything goes to plan. I'm going to ride straight down the Loneliest Highway (50) again. While I'm at it I think I'll go to Monterey ... turn north on the PCH to Oregon for a few days. It's just another thousand miles or so.

Blessings

Cody

Comment

Come'n home

Man it'll be goood to have you back. Holding down the fort by myself has been tough. Being President, Vice President, and member all at the same time has been a tall order: the bickering has been intence!
                    E.Liberty
                    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                    I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

• Re: Come'n home

Originally posted by E.Liberty
                      Man it'll be goood to have you back. Holding down the fort by myself has been tough. Being President, Vice President, and member all at the same time has been a tall order: the bickering has been intence!
                      E.Liberty
                      Is there a 'Coup d'e tat' in the works?

Comment

• Well, I'm home once again. I slept for almost 12 hours, after I did some pressing chores. The bike ran great all the way home, and the speedo is working very well! (thanks once again, prometheus).
                        I think I wanted to get home, as I made Redding to San Jose is 3.5 hours!! (actually, officer, I think my watch stopped) I will post a write up of the ride at a later date. as of now, I need to get the Zodiac ready for the morning, and get with Abby for tonight.
                        Thanks once again to the members that gave me all the help on the way, everyone I was able to meet, and for those I missed, I guess the road is still open, and a ride must be forever in the works. If anyone rides out to this coast, PLEASE let me know, as I will do whatever I can to return the favors I've collected on my ride.
                        This is the greatest group of owners of any type, and I consider all of you friends.
                        Ray
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

• Fire up the grill! Ice down the brew! I'll be there in a month.

Comment

• Might have to organize a ride around your arrival. I could lead one hellava tour of the Santa Cruz Mountains!
                            Keep the rubber side down!
                            E.Liberty

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"

Comment

• Possable Tour?

Might have to organize a ride around your arrival. I could lead one hellava tour of the Santa Cruz Mountains!
                              Keep the rubber side down!
                              E.Liberty

Comment

• Ed

If I go all the way to Monterey I'll be headed north up the coast to Oregon. But I'm not sure if I'll even make it that far.

If I do you be one of the first to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X