No announcement yet.

trip to the midwest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a pic of our intrepid rider as he prepares for the looong trip from Texas to Oklahoma.

He'd gotten a good nights' sleep, and did an ol ( that's Texan for oil) change just before hitting the road. It was nice meeting him, and having a chance to talk for a short while. It was around midnight when we finally turned in, and I had to get up at 4:30 am to get ready for work. Needless to say I wasn't worth a damn the next day at work, and had to take a nap shortly after getting home.
    Good luck on the rest of your trip. Keep us informed of your progress Ray.

Comment

Don't remember your ride looking that good in April.
      And I see you finally got a new hearing aid too

Safe riding DiverRay

mro

Comment

Well, I'm now in Cleveland, and made it in less than 24 hours! Can you say "iron butt"?
        The bike is running well, I just had a hard time running with it. I'm going to recoup today, and head for Wisconson in the morning. My plan is just an hour stay with my niece and her family, then back on the road. I'm about 30 miles South/East of Cleveland, and plan on just going the turnpike to Chicago. I'll go up to Kenosha(sp?), and after a short visit, hit 94 WEST, and head for Washington State.
        I still plan on a stop in the Dakota's, and may go for a second IB if things work out. I'll try to call as I get close, Steve!
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray how's the new battery? And is the cam chain still tight?

Be careful brother.

Cody

PS: Thanks for calling me this morning to let me know ya made. Godspeed!

Comment

For the rest of yaz. Ray is "refreshing" his bike. When he finishes it will be UNIQUE. The paint is like out of this world I can't even describe it accurately except to say it is cool.

The new fairing and the bobbed windscreen are the bomb schnizzle. As a matter of fact I will be following suite with Mr. Zilla after he rolls off the dyno tomorrow. That bobbed windscreen rox!

The other mod that is simply a must are the badd a$$ LED tail/stop lights he mounted in his Vetter trunk. When he pulled out of my shop Monday night (about 11 pm) and hit the brake it light up half the countryside! Those LED brake lights are must if you want the idiots in cages to see you. I will be installing a set on Zilla soon.

Comment

Sounds like I'll be installing LED's on MIYAMI as well.
              S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
              1-big XS patch
              1-small XS/XJ patch
              1-XS/XJ owners pin.
              1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
              2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
              1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
              1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

leds

Glad yer doin' well Ray... ride on!
                Re. leds: de bomb was (is) Drag XS11's: spells out "XS11" when the tail light is on and lights up the whole thang when the brake is on! Wu hoo!
                Keep the rubber side down Ray!
                Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

Keep SteveC and I posted when you will be coming through. I am back in SD and still "leaving the lights on". If you don't need a place to stay I will ride up to Sioux Falls, SD and hook up with you and Steve C. Ride safe......
                  DEW
                  One Red "Creation 1"
                  One Black"Creation 2"
                  One Black"Creation 3"
                  One ???? "Creation 4"
                  One ???? "Creation 5"
                  One ???? "Parts Bike"
                  All the above 1100 Specials
                  78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                  1980 Midnight Special
                  1978 650 SE

Comment

SteveC- if Ray takes 94 he will cut diagonally across Minnesota and end up at Fargo, ND. Fargo is a few hours north of us. I wonder why he doesn't consider I-90 so he could go right by us? When does Sturgis start as that could be a concern on I-90?
                    DEW
                    One Red "Creation 1"
                    One Black"Creation 2"
                    One Black"Creation 3"
                    One ???? "Creation 4"
                    One ???? "Creation 5"
                    One ???? "Parts Bike"
                    78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                    1980 Midnight Special
                    1978 650 SE

Comment

dewibp,
                      I missed you on this trip. Steve wasn't able to get ahold of you on the phone.
                      I'm now in Chaimberlan for the night. I did loose the speedo on the way in, but with the oil chnge at Steve's house, it's been running well. I'll be running without a apeedo until I get back home.
                      I am beat, it's 4:00am, so I'm off to sleep...
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Too bad I had me cell phone laying in the car! Glad you hooked up with Steve though. You got a HOT one left from Chamberlin to the Black Hills and then it should cool down a little. Be safe.
                        DEW
                        One Red "Creation 1"
                        One Black"Creation 2"
                        One Black"Creation 3"
                        One ???? "Creation 4"
                        One ???? "Creation 5"
                        One ???? "Parts Bike"
                        78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                        1980 Midnight Special
                        1978 650 SE

Comment

DiverRay, Glad you were able to stop in. Was nice meeting you. Probably would've been a better visit if my A/C/ in the house wasn't on the fritz. Good thing for Shop A/C's. Too bad the speedo cable from MIYAMI wouldn't work on your bike but I think you'll be alright. Here's our Guru doing some battery maint.

And at the small truckstop we parted ways

After seeing the LED's on the trunk, I defenetlly will install at least one on the back of MIYAMI.
                          How did the JB weld do? Good luck on the rest of your trip. When I eventually make it out to Cal. I'll look you up.
                          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
                          1-big XS patch
                          1-small XS/XJ patch
                          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
                          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
                          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
                          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
                          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

The JB weld did OK, but I've put another layer on last night. I made Billings, Montana at 9:00pm, so I was doing OK. Thanks again for the oil change and company. It was great to meet you and SWMBO, and I hope to see you out west sometime.
                            I am riding without a speedo, but I think I have a new cable at home. If not, I'll just order one, as I know about what speed I'm doing at what RPM. I have been running daily ride at close to 5K rpms, or about 85 to 90 mph. It helps on time, but I need to stop for gas at 110 miles at this speed. Perhaps I'll find a 6 gallon tank before the next ride, and be able to get 150 per tank at speed.
                            Prometheous, it looks like we will be able to play with the lifts in the shop Monday, as that is when I plan on stopping by. I'll try to find your number once again, and give you a call.
                            It's 7:30 local time, so I'll shut down and pack. I'm going to try and be on the raod at 8:00am...
                            Ray
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

Ray

I think I recall seeing a Dunlop Elite II on your 17 inch rim right?

The OD of that tire according to Dunlop is 26.18

If so the numbers say your doing right at 82 mph at 5000 rpm

Just FYI:

4000 - 66 mph
                              4500 - 74 mph
                              5500 - 90 mph

After that you're on your own!

Be safe.

Cody

Comment

"I'll wear my Speedo for you, Ray"

(It's Spandex, you'll like it)
                                What's the deal with your speedo, Ray?
                                Cable? The housing at the wheel?, or the box on the handle bars? I've got a spare"F" that I can pull from, and an "F", I think, in buckets, (plus boxes of stuff from Andreas Weiss that I'll probably never use... I just like sending him checks)
                                No worries, Mate, your speedo problem is solved.
                                "Good morning, Sir. Do you know how fast you were going?"
                                "Why yes, Officer... I most certainly do!"
                                Of course, the only problem now is for me to find the stuff. You know how it is. Divorced... living with two dogs.
                                I'm the old codger down the street. Never leaves the house... damned neighborhood kids ringing the doorbell and running away... Police enter the house after the neighbors complain about the smell and find me buried under a collapsed wall of motorcycle parts and National Geographics. (Oohh, those African women!)
                                Give be a buzz when you get within range, and I'll start strippin'.(Parts, that is)
                                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                                X