Problem with showing license plate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with showing license plate?

I've heard that it's not good to show your license plate on the internet. Got to thinking about it and i'm not sure why. It's public information that I proudly display for hundreds of people to see every day. What can someone learn about me from my license plate that they can't get from hundreds of other places? It's just been buggin me.
    1981 XS 1100 SH

i had the same question, lame i don't think it's possible to steal your i d theft from it, maybe they can track you down from the dmw and steal your bike, if they like it,

i guess it's like price line.com where you shop and compare bikes on the net go to the dmv find the owner's address and pay them a visit, i think it's a wierd concern

it would be easier to drive around with 3 or 4 big guys and just lift the damn thing in a pickup and go chop it up...

what do you think?
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

LOL! Granted these are the greatest bikes ever made, but if some thief has to browse pictures of 28 year old bikes to find a target ... True if i had some $50k chopper i may think about limiting my exposure.
      1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

you would be supriced what you can find out about somebody from the dmv all it would take is the wrong person getting the info and you would be sol
        79 yamaha xs1100f standard
        best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

"If only I'd use my powers for good, instead of evil."

Gee, I like Mpcluever's bike(or maybe I hate him, who knows), and I too, live around Minneapolis. I take his plate number, type and year o' bike, birthdate which is 25 Jan, '76 and what ever else I can divine and start to play.
          I put on my old Army Recruiter uniform and hit the DMV, as "I need a driving extract for his enlistment papers" Now have his home address, and if I'm lucky, his SSN.
          Just for sh*ts and giggles, I hit the county offices, run a search for his birth certificate, "again for enlistment purposes", and then hit the sheriff's joint for a copy of his police record(which is considerable... don't buy parts from this guy), again, as "I have to run a police check and do an enlistment waiver".
          Not too hard of a guy to find, as I know where he lives and just need to drive around town looking for an XS parked outside a Burger King.
          Credit card numbers I can get at the end of the month. He leaves them at the end of the driveway for me on Fridays, as he never shreds his bank statements and all the junk mail with personal info on it before he throws it out.
          His mailbox is either attached to his house, or it's clustered with several others at the corner. Nice that he has his name stenciled on it, as I can raid it before he gets home from work.
          I wait till it's a week or so before Christmas, cancel all his credit cards, reroute his mail, and get his phone, cable, and other utilities turned off for him.
          I could go on, but I won't.
          Is it easy? Uhmm...
          There was a clown once who really pissed me off.(Actually, there were several over the years, but...) He was set to leave Korea two weeks before me. As soon as he signed out and headed for Kimpo International, I cancelled his leave and cancelled all his stateside connecting flights home(Was close to Christmas time) I so wanted to be there when he landed in San Francisco and tried to buy "new tickets" with his "reported stolen" credit cards.
          The jerk my "then wife" bought a vacuum cleaner from used all my credit card numbers and personal info to run up about $1500 before I caught on. Careless idiot.... turns out he lived right down the street from us. I dailed 911 for him as I was leaving his apartment .
          Takes a lot to piss me off... Why people attempt to do that, I'll never understand.
          What can someone learn about me from my license plate that they can't get from hundreds of other places?
          Sure, internet makes it easy. (Even a simple google search turns up my name, address, what my house is worth and my property taxes. ) But why make it easier for someone.
          You don't have your actual name posted here, but your license plate makes my day. ("Officer... the man who was offering candy to the little girls on the playground... I didn't really get a good look at him, but as he rode away, his license number was..."
          Oh, the possabilities!
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

lol asked and answered. I guess you never know which piece of the puzzle will unlock the possibility for someone to gain more information. I'm still WAY more worried about the guy I cut off this morning on the way to work having access to my plate #. Sure would feel stupid though if it did happen and I found out it was because of information that I put out there.
            1981 XS 1100 SH

Comment

Heh...identity theft.

That's what my shotgun collection is for.
              CUAgain,
              Daniel Meyer
              Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
              Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

In some states the license plate is listed as a public record in all the local courthouses, along with the name addy etc of the owner and the vehicle info including VIN. I did a stint as a P.I. several years ago. WV I recall was one, maybe FL, KY? It was a few years ago.
                Marty in NW PA
                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

We have had a couple of friends that have had wallets and purses stolen, it's amazing how fast someone can ruin your life or at least make it very miserable for a while!
                  "DuctTape"

- XS1100E (Project: Has a long way to go)
                  - 2008 Honda Goldwing GL1800P
                  Two Lane Road Riders Association
                  Southern Cruisers
                  TMRA, TxCOC, etc....

Comment

Hey Prom

Remind me not to piss you off!!

Been waiting for this guy in modesto to restore his MNS....
                    Still need a few parts for my project

mro

Comment

Re: Hey Prom

Originally posted by mro
                      Remind me not to piss you off!!

Been waiting for this guy in modesto to restore his MNS....
                      Still need a few parts for my project

mro
                      Which guy? Uncle Spot has a MNS
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Which guy? Uncle Spot has a MNS

Yeah,..................

but I got a pic of your license plate

mro

Comment

Working...
                        X