Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not getting "BENT" about my FRAME!

Hey there Xsives,

I wanted to share something that I found about Godzilla(81SH) whilst attending XS East 2006. It first started with Laxdad wanting "someone" Xperienced with XS's to ride his bike to tell him IF it sounded and felt alright, or if anything was amiss! So, after I rode his, I asked him to ride Godzilla. Then several of us got into sharing each others rides. MartyA even let "me" take ILENE out for a spin. Thanks but nothanks, Godzilla has more than enough horses for me, and I didn't really fit very well on that SportBike Frame anyways!

After we were done sharing our rides, GNEPIG/Gene from Fla, showed me where my frame had gotten bent, just under the steering head, where the downtubes connect. There is a prominent crease there instead of just a subtle curve! Note the photos below, first 2 are of a 79SF I have, and the second 2 are of Godzilla!

I had wondered about why my front end felt so much easier to steer than the other bikes I had ridden! Just a few years after I had gotten my bike back to the states from Japan, and gotten out of the NAVY,~1986 I was involved in a modest front ender with a woman who had turned in front of me, hit her front right fender at about 30mph, bent the front forks and wheel into the engine! Had it repaired at the local "DEALER", and apparently they didn't check, or realize, or covered it up so that the Insurance wouldn't have totalled it. I drove it for 7 more years after that, but that was when I had also added the 4" over forks, and so I attributed the steering change to the forks, not the possibility of a bent frame!! Then 1st/2nd gear went, sat for 9 years, then resurrected it in 2000-2001.

Fortunately it tracks straight, and I actually like being able to steer it easier than STOCK, but I think both the front tire design
    (have a "soon to be changed" ChengShin with raised center ridge which causes the tire to want to turn faster once it's leaned over beyond the ridge) and the increased RAKE angle due to the frame being bent makes my steering so flickable, so that's why I want to try the Standard Triple Trees to push the angle out just a little further, putting the rake a little closer back to stock, but probably still not that far, so that I will probably retain the ease in steering, but it won't be as Squirrelly!

Amazing what you can learn about your bike with a fresh set of eyes and hands on!!
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

HI T.C.

Do you have a standerd triple tree I have a nice one here rember the parts bike back by the shop.

XSively
    Bruce
    Bruce Gerken
    '79 XS1100SF
    "The Black"
    '2009 BMW k1300GT'
    The Red Sled.
    St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

LOL! Rake adjustment the hard way!
      CUAgain,
      Daniel Meyer
      Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
      Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

or the easy way
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

How does it handle at speed? Any headshake?
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Any headshake?
            Yup... when he goes red-line in 5th and gets SCARED!! lol

So I guess when someone tells you to go get bent.... you can smile and tell them.. "Already did... now YOU go get bent!"

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

better get bent than to bend over
              "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
              History
              85 Yamaha FJ 1100
              79 yamaha xs1100f
              03 honda cbr 600 f4
              91 yamaha fzr 600
              84 yamaha fj 1100
              82 yamaha seca 750
              87 yamaha fazer
              86 yamaha maxim x
              82 yamaha vision
              78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Hey Pat,

Surprisingly well. I've had it up to 110 okay. Had a crosswind and windshield, and did seem like it wanted to shake/shimmy a little but not sure if it was due more to the wind and shield?
                I ran it on the racetrack with no problems up to 100. I've felt the tail wag/hinge effect on some modest bumpy sweeping curves when trying to negotiate them at 80+mph, but again, might be the limits of my suspension, and again windage?

Only after I took these photos did I notice the RUST along the weld seams ! ? I'm wondering if the welds are cracked, or only the overlying paint that got cracked when the welds ?BENT?

Wonder if I should grind them down and reweld them, or run another bead on top of them?? Or even cut them away and then reweld another beam below the main downtube similar to the ones in the below photos. I can't remember where I got these from, think it was PGGG or another DownUnder XSive, but you can see where the large plating was removed and the cross and down tubes are exposed, and it looks like the owner welded in an extra down tube, along with some corner braces!

What do you guys think? T.C.
                T. C. Gresham

Comment

Personally.... I think you should stay away from the red headers.... lol.
                  But yeah... I would take a small grinding or wire wheel on your dremmel, and go down that rusty seam a bit. Get it good and shiny and look for a crack. In the pictures, it doesn't look like there would be any cracks... but who knows from a picture. Then, if you think it needs a bead on top of it, it's clean and ready. If it really doesn't need another...(No Cracks) it's ready for the touch-up paint. If there is a crack, and it would make you feel better, weld some extra supports in there like those pictures.... but I personally think it's a bit of overkill.... like someone trying to salvage a bike frame that probably should have been junked.
                  On the other hand, that frame won't be as strong as it was originally should it encounter another car fender, but then again... I don't think they were designed for that even from stock!
                  It sounds like from your post that you have ridden it like this for at least 7 or 8 years.. Not counting the down time. I think personally, it would be just something I remember to look at every now and then, but it's your body on the line, not mine TC. Just an opinion, but definately not our call... It's your decision, no matter what the general consensus here. .

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

HI T.C.
                    I have 80 Special frame in realy nice shape Its yours if you want it back to new

XSively
                    Bruce
                    Bruce Gerken
                    '79 XS1100SF
                    "The Black"
                    '2009 BMW k1300GT'
                    The Red Sled.
                    St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

.. i like Bruces idea the best, and the price seems right. a frame swap might take you two days at the most and will give you a chance to inspect the condition of your motor mount rubbers, or maybe give you a chance to make up a set of solid mounts.
                      ..the improper steering geometry and unown stress fractures are all kind of scary.

Comment

Yep, guilty, that's my 'modded' steering head, with dynacoils and disgusting pink pipes The pipes are now HPC coated in black The frame bracing up front stiffens the handling noticibly, believe it or not. The fork brace is heavy duty also, and brake lines are rigged from SS braid. If you're into wheelies on your XS, you'll likely get cracks up round the headstock.

Comment

Starting to get bent?

Hey Bruce,

I truly appreciate the offer, and I "might" take you up on it, after some more open discussion!

As Todd said, I've been riding this thing for the past 5 years since I rebuilt it, and for some 7 years right after I had wrecked it! I confess, I have done a few wheelies, , but I don't make a habit of it! I would like to investigate the seams a bit more first, and try the extra bracing, along with bracing the Swingarm while I'm at it first! I'm kinda lazy and don't really want to have to switch FRAMES, along with re-registering it, etc! So, I'd rather play with the frame and the TT's and a new tire first.

I do know that my rubber engine mounts are not as tight as OEM, on a previous rally with lots of up and down revving/engine braking, the engine rocking caused one of my exhaust nuts to work loose, and fell off on a trip home.

Since it's held up this long, and once I check for cracks, and do some bracing, do you REALLY think it would still be unsafe??
                          T. C. Gresham

Comment

do you REALLY think it would still be unsafe??

No,.............. BUT

But if I was repairing it for a customer would not let it go.
                            Went and looked at mine. Absolutely no flex/give in that area, metal should not fatigue, but since its "bent" it can not be as strong as designed and just because it hasn't failed, ...................did you hear about the guy struck by lightning riding on the highway?

mro
                            Last edited by mro; 06-23-2006, 06:57 PM.

Comment

.. so what is the plan TC? got any cool ideas or you just going to leave well enough alone?

Comment

Working...
                              X