First Saddle Sore 1000 on my 79 xs100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Saddle Sore 1000 on my 79 xs100

Just finished my 1st Iron Butt ride here in Montana with my 79 XS11SF. We had to finish the 1000 mile ride in under 24 hours. I was able to finish with the 1077 mile ride in 21 hours 3 mintues and I won the the oldest bike award for the ride. Had a great time and she ran like a top the whole trip, I just wished she had a little bigger gas trip for the ride. There are some serious distances between towns in Northern Montana. Anyway so don't let any one tell you these bikes are to old to be top preformers as mine put several 20K hogs to shame.
    Last edited by mtmopar; 06-19-2006, 03:22 PM.
    1979 Yamaha XS1100 (The Beast)
    2004 525SX (AKA "The Compensator")
    1967 Yamaha Trailmaster 100 (1186 org. miles and all org. bike - even tires)
    1986 BMW K100 RT - wife's
    2003 Honda CRF230 - wife's
    2001 Honda XR200 - son's
    1991 Honda XR200 - son's
    2002 Honda CRF70 - son's

Room in garage for cars - None

Whooooooo hooooooo. Good work !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
    1981 LH

Comment

.. good job man!. i have done this kind of riding before and by about mid way through the trip[about 500 miles] i was lookin forward to the gas stops![was real glad the bike only went 100 miles to reserve] man, my ass hurt all the way up to the base of my skull by the time i was finished-

Comment

Awe, man, you beat me to it. I also have a 79 XS11, and I was thinking about doing one of these later this summer.

What kind of seat do you have on your bike? Original or something else?
        1979 XS11F Hazuki ('cause she's always trying to make me her slave.)

Comment

I have a king/queen and the org. seat. I did a 300 miler in May with the org. seat and decided to try the "Big Butt Seat" as my wife calls it. I did pretty well up to about 600 miles, after that I could not find a comfortable way to sit. But I'll tell you what that last 100 miles was the toughest, 12:30 at night through deer country, my nerves where shot. Sad thing is I can't wait to do another one.
          2001 Honda XR200 - son's
          1991 Honda XR200 - son's
          2002 Honda CRF70 - son's

Comment

I can't wait to do my first one. Once your ride is certified by the Iron Butt Association, be sure to let us know where it is on their website so we can read it.

The ironic thing is that you posted this right after I finished reading an article in Motorcyclist about an editor doing 3000 miles in three days to earn his Iron Butt patches. I've already mapped out a 1140 mile route in Washington State and Oregon that I'm going to try to get to before the cold weather hits.

Speaking of which, what was the route you used?
            1979 XS11F Hazuki ('cause she's always trying to make me her slave.)

Comment

It was a sponsored rally put on by the Last Chance Riders Association here in Helena MT. The Rally was called The Montana Asphalt Dance and had 5 mandatory fuel stops. It went from Helena to Dillon to Hamilton to Plains to Chester (via way of Glacier Park) to Bozeman back to Helena. It was an awesome ride and all but 1 mile (Idaho) was in western Montana.
              2001 Honda XR200 - son's
              1991 Honda XR200 - son's
              2002 Honda CRF70 - son's

Comment

Congrats on your long ride. My 80 SG has a made-to-measure Diamond Seat. It's a wonderful thing, an all-day seat for sure. Pricey, but if you're doing that kind of road work, it will work for you. Used to have one of those King/Queen seats. Diamond is way better.
                1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Welcome to the club, you may get a handwritten note from Mike Kneebone as he is an XS11 fan. If you get a chance do the route again but do not do that 1 mile in Idaho, the IBA has a unique pin for all 50 states if you do an SS1000 within the borders.

I never seem to show up with the oldest bike, there always seems to be someone on a GL1000!

Ride safe,
                  Scott
                  I have a bike and I am not afraid to use it

Comment

Thanks for the info, I'll let the club know for next year.
                    2001 Honda XR200 - son's
                    1991 Honda XR200 - son's
                    2002 Honda CRF70 - son's

Comment

Congrats on the acomplishment, I am so glad that these old bikes are over looked for there stability, and there stamina, the only bike you can compair them to is a gold wing, the only thing is people who bought gold wings ran them to death so they are becomeing harder to find in decent shape. I agree though you cant beat a good seat.

Comment

There was a gl1000 at the rally but it was an 82. He did finish 2 hours ahead of me though. Owners a local Mech. who rides all the time and logs around 7k a summer.
                        2001 Honda XR200 - son's
                        1991 Honda XR200 - son's
                        2002 Honda CRF70 - son's

Comment

Working...
                        X