Trip back home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip back home

Well no pics yet but the boys from fond a lac yamaha were not so responsive when it came to making the bitch roadworthy.Went over her thursday and found a fairly major oil leak ...cam cover and at the cam tensioner, she was supposed to be tuned and all fluids changed. I checked a bit further and no air filter was present and mid and final drives were topped off to the threads of the fill plugs.re did the tune up and visited with my brother for a while and hit the road this tuesday. Short hop to Chi town caught a Cubs game and enjoyed the company. Woke on Wednesday and rode 5000 mi to Pa.no major issues ,plenty of pep etc no leaks but the front end felt funny on occasions. Thursday at around 9:45 on I 80 the ride got interesting running at about 75 down a large hill the front tire decided to blow .Thankfully a tire repair rig was right behind me and threw his flashers on, can't belive I'm sitting here posting this but rode it out and the tow truck guy was as amased as I was funny but a post from here was running thru my head "don't quit riding" the deer story Thanks . Driver of the tow rig figured me down at least 6 times. Got her done and wound up on the shoulder with th bike between my legs. threw a new tire on the front and took the long way the rest of the way home. Anyhow think I'll keep her!!!
    79 XS 1100 sf

WELCOME

HI Scootjak
    Welcome to the XSive I am very much a belever in these bike,s after 27 years of ownership and 180.000 miles on (The black) My 1979 XS1100SF I can tell you have been now been hooked no other bike will live up to an XS1100 . I beleve . And agin welcome to the XSive

XSively
    Bruce
    Bruce Gerken
    '79 XS1100SF
    "The Black"
    '2009 BMW k1300GT'
    The Red Sled.
    St.Augustine (354-430 AD) wrote,"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only a page . Well motorcycles turn the book of the world into a page turner. That is often impossible to put down.

Comment

COngrats on makin it home safe, sound like the trip was adventurous.

Pictures Pictures Pictures.

Oh, and I second the whole "hooked" thing.
      I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Hi scootjak

but the front end felt funny on occasions
        Have a fork brace???
        I've got the "tubular" brace on my 80G. Have noticed slight and short "wobble" at high speeds when I hit pot holes etc..

After first time I checked air pressure was equal in the forks and then took the front wheel off and checked the bearings. All OK.
        Still get it now en then.

When I get my MNS on the road will have the aluminum fork brace on it. Others I've talked to don't seem to have any problems and they've had the other brace.

mro

btw
        "Woke on Wednesday and rode 5000 mi to Pa.no major issues"
        Did ya start in Brazil???

Comment

You don't need thousands of miles to be hooked on these bikes. I was hooked before mile 1
          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Working...
          X