Removing Rotor From Motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing Rotor From Motor

DOES ANYONE HAVE A EASY WAY TO REMOVE THE ROTOR FROM THE CRANK WITHOUT HAVE THE SPECIAL TOOL THAT IS REQUIRED? SINCE I CAN'T SEEM TO LOCATE THE TOOL ANYWHERES. THE YAMAHA SHOP IN MY AREA HAVE THEIR NOSES IN THE AIR BECAUSE MY BIKE IS OUTDATED AND DON'T WANT NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. @@##%^$&!!!!! TO THEM , BEST BIKE THEY EVER MADE , WHY DID THEY STOP. WOULDN'T OWN ANOTHER TYPE BUT THE XS 1100. HELP PLEASE!!!!! WANT TO HIT THE ROAD AGAIN, HAVING D.T.S

BOYZSBLUE (LEON)
    BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Do you have an auto parts store in town that rents/lends out tools? If so, then just get a two or three jaw puller to remove the rotor. Once the puller is in place, and it has a good amount of tension on it, whack the end of the arbor shaft with a hammer, and it should break loose. If the first attempt doesn't work, try it again. Don't try prying it off, you'll just end up messing up something expensive/unavailable.

Comment

JOHN

THANKS FOR THE INFO . HAD THAT IN MIND BUT WAS A LITTLE WORRIED IT WOULD DAMAGE THE STATOR... THIS STATOR IS A AFTERMARKET THAT I HAVEN'T SEEN BEFORE,ON A PART OUT BIKE I BOUGHT IN NC LAST WEEKEND BECAUSE MY CHARGER BURNT. SMELLS REALLY BAD WHEN YOU TAKE COVER OFF. BIKE STOPPED SPARKING AND WHEN I CHANGED EVERYTHING OVER FROM PARTS BIKE THAT DID SPARK.... STILL NO SPARK. WENT TO ROTOR AND FOUND THIS, ONLY THING I HAVEN'T CHANGED YET

BOYZSBLUE
      BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

First off, turn your CAPS lock off...

I just used a bolt to remove mine. If you look at the inside of the rotor, you will see that it is threaded. Don't know the size, but I got lucky when the bolt from my puller happened to be the same size thread. Tighten, couple of wacks with a hammer, tighten again, couple more wacks and WOOSH!!! it came flying off (Literally!!) almost took my nephews head off on it's journey across the garage.
        Brian
        1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
        1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
        remembering the same thing!

Comment

Thanks Brian , that worked. I leave caps on because I deal with extremely blind (joke) people at my work. also I don't type . good info and thanks alot .

boyzsblue ( leon )
          BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

Try using the rear axel. It should have the same threads. Screw it in then tap on it with soft faced hammer. The rotor should pop right off.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer
              Try using the rear axel. It should have the same threads. Screw it in then tap on it with soft faced hammer. The rotor should pop right off.

Geezer
              Now that's clever! I'd have never thought of that.

Comment

I have heard that a rotor can go bad, but have never seen in here about anyone's that actually had. My rotor was on EXTREMELY well, and I used the jaw type puller, and like xssiveone, when it finally came off it was heading south for the winter I think. If you can believe it, I actually bent my rotor this way, so be careful. I couldn't see it wobble when I cranked the engine with the starter, but it was rubbing my stator on one part of it.... and killed my stator. Leave it to me to mess up a big hunk of steel.
                There is a way to test your rotor without pulling it off though. Also... maybe a no-brainer, but have you checked the voltage in your battery and all your fuses?

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

job done

I used the bolt and hammer way and it came right off.Thanks guys
                  for the help. I ghanged out for to reasons , it was bad and the parts bike had a different style that had a different that was chromed. more chrome the better. Parts bike had chrome all over
                  it. Front forks,swing arm , alt case, timing case, mid case covers.
                  Not bad for 250. Not much missing off bike but tac, turn sigs.
                  one thing i know i,m going to need soon is a rebuid kit or replacement for front master cyl. leaking really bad, though of checking to see if new vmax cyl will work. putting the bike back
                  to orig. why skimp. bike looking great, hope to soon put pic online
                  as soon as i fig. out how, not a computer buff. least of my worries for now, getting bike up to par comes first. any suggestions on
                  mas. cyl ????

boyzsblue ( LEON)
                  BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

Most any brand of M/C will work actually, It will need to be for a dual caliper system, and fit a 7/8 handle bar. The PEM M/C has a bore of 11/16 ". Some of the online parts suppliers sell one that looks very much like the one for an XJ11. Some guys here have bought them, and hopefully they'll chime in.

Comment

Working...
                    X