Big Ben

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ben

Here we go again, the calls for manditory helmet laws because some high profile idiot gets in over his head with no helmet or BIKE LICENCE. Don't get me wrong I always ride with a full face helmet (I just don't have that hard of a head). What I don't care for is Uncle Sam telling me I have to wear one. We've become such a nation of sue happy idiots that you have to put a warning on a curling iron that it is hot and may burn. AHHHHH what ever happend to common sense. Maybe they have it right over seas when they make you pass a proficientcy exam before you cuold BUY a high powered bike, it might help some but there will always be idiots like Big Ben.

Ed Z
    It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
    81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
    82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
    82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

well true and the bike he was riding was a hayabusa and what kind of idiot would ride that kind of bike with out a helmet
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

1200+cc Busa sport bike with no helmet AND no liscense (had recently recieved a learners permit, woopdydoo)

So this was probably his first bike, loved how he looked on it specially without a helmet, and he learned the first hardcore rule of beginner motorcycles. Start small and work up through the cc's with experience.

I betchya he hasnt had the bike for more than a few weeks. Reminds of when the ZX-11's were being first sold in 89-90, alot of em were returned within a week, occasionally with a deceased owner. Alot of new bike riders have no idea what they are getting into, but hey! it looks cool right? Damn organ donors.
      -Still trying to figure out how to pack up the entire family of 5 on 1.5 bikes for a vacation.

Comment

I'm not sure how long he's had the 'Busa, but I do know that a PIT 'Zuki dealer gave him the bike for doing a couple promo spots. He has been riding for longer than that, but mostly cruisers and choppers. He probably has very little experience on a sport bike.

From what I've read it most likely wasn't his fault at all, as the car pulled into his path at the intersection. Still he should have had a helmet on.
        '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Shoulda, woulda, coulda.........If you make the decision to wear a helmet, that's great. To say the man was stupid for not wearing one is stating the obvious. But remember, we are all bikers, and as such must stand together or fry alone. In places where it's legal, many choose to go bare-headed, and that is their right. If kicking a man while he is down gives you some sort of satisfaction, go ahead. It's a free country. Right? Of course you guys never, ever break any laws while riding. Gimme a break. Burl
          '79 XS Eleven Special
          "Dirty White Boy"
          "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

Re: Big Ben

Originally posted by e.z.nightrider
            What I don't care for is Uncle Sam telling me I have to wear one. We've become such a nation of sue happy idiots that you have to put a warning on a curling iron that it is hot and may burn. AHHHHH what ever happend to common sense.
            Ed Z
            I'm all for freedom of choice, but the people with common sense are the ones wearing the helmets, in my opinion. If he had hit 3 inches to the left the Steelers would be in the market for a new quarterback. Possibly even if he had been wearing a helmet. From the look of it if he had just had a skullcap on it wouldn't have changed much.

Full Facer, baby!! My face may not be all that pretty, but I sure don't want it looking worse!

At least he can afford the hospital bill he's looking at. I just hope the fool has learned his lesson. I think Terry Bradshaw said it best when he heard Ben was a rider. "Save it for when you're retired." It's not really all that far away for him. What, 10-15 years maybe? At the whopping old age of 35-40. Hell, I'm that old now. If someone invested $45 Million in me, I'd think that was worth a few years off the bikes. Why take a chance of destroying a dream career that he almost didn't get to begin with. Tempts fate a little too much.
            80 XS1100SG
            81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

My reason for calling him an idiot was not that he didn't have a helmet, but was riding without a licence. With out proper training on any bike (let alone one that does 170+) it's just to easy to get in over your head and shows the ego of someone who thinks they're indestructible not the judgement of a leader looking out for the best of the team.

Ed Z.
              It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
              81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
              82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
              82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

I support anyone's right to ride without a helmet, as long as they are licensed, insured, and have their will in order and not allowed to sue anyone else. Uncle Sam tells us too much as it is. Common sense tells us that a hard coating of fiberglass offers levels more protection than a bare head or Skull cap. Still, it ain't a magic bullet... However, you can't legislate common sense.

What's next? Can't have a beer in my own home because alcohol damages my liver?
                Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Hey... haven't you heard the latest on that? 17 beers a day may help keep you from getting colon cancer... and then they also found that by drinking coffee in the morning... it may help prevent cirrhosis of the liver!! Yeah.... like I'm going to try to make it to work in the morning after 17 beers with NO coffee?!?!?

As for Ben... he made his choices, now he must live with them. At least he was able to have the means to pay to put his face back together without being a drain on the rest of us.
                  Most of the guys that make it to that elite status in as competitive a sport as football... (The real American kind... not the little round checkered ball they are trying to force feed us lately) you are going to find a person that kind of likes to live on the edge a bit anyway. Sometimes they fall off of that edge. I know people who have ridden their whole lives without a helmet and are fine... (Well sort of.... they did go through the 60's!) lol. I have also picked up people off of the street with brains coming out of their cracked helmets. And yes... contrary to the popular saying... I HAVE unbelted dead people from a car... but scraped up many more off of the road that weren't wearing one.

Like he said... There ain't no magic bullet, and when it's your time... it's your time... but why tempt it?? I wear a helmet and seatbelts, but hate someone telling me I HAVE to. I saw in an Email today on a sign.... something about seatbelt laws being a governement racket to expand the pockets of local townships... and to ask your congressman why we have to wear them if it's ok for 40 million kids to ride a bus twice a day without one?? Made me go hmmmmmm. lol.

Tod
                  Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                  '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                  '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100
                  *Crashed/Totalled, still own