master cylinder rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• master cylinder rebuild

oh my lord - what in the world tools do you use to get out the circlip which holds the plunger in under the reservoir? My otherwise trusty and reliable needle nose pliers are too thin to maintain their tooth on the circlip holes and they bend as I compress the handle and then pop out. The only circlip pliers I have found locally are too short. Aaarg!

thanks!
    Your Mileage May Vary

Uh ho..... I'm expecting a MC rebuild kit this week and hadn't anticipated difficulty removing the circlip. Hopefully someone will chime in with a great tech tip.

Rob

Comment

Guys,

Mikes XS sells the tool for $9:

Mikes xs

Comment

perfect!

Originally posted by randy
        Mikes XS sells the tool for $9:

Mikes xs

Thanks Randy!
        Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

oh well.

mikes is currently out of stock.
          Your Mileage May Vary

Comment

I have access to weird tools

Of the 2 pairs of ring pliers I had, none would get in there. I ended up using two long slim stiff metal rods used for VCR repair to get in there and (%^@^% finally) get one end of the ring up so I could hook it and pull it out.

I would imagine you could find a longer nose set of ring pliers somewhere else. If I ever have to take that damn thing off again I'll probably try to find another pair. That's probably been one of the bigger pains in the arse I had restoring my bike.

This tool looks interesting. Not sure if it can get in there deep enough though. Price is certianly right.
            80 XS1100SG
            81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

JW,

That's the tool I used and it works fine. I made one minor modification, I ground the sides of the long straight attachment to allow me more flexibility to get at the circlip. Worked like a charm for both removing and putting back in.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Working...
              X