H20 motors.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H20 motors.

Believe it or not you can apparently give your petrol engine a boost with just 1 litre of water. Run your bikes 12V current through a 97% water / 3% KO solution in a plastic container, and HO gas bubbles off the positive terminal. A thin hose runs from the exhaust and blows the bubbles of HO gas off the anodes, and the gas goes through to your air intake via a rubber hose. 25 - 50% CLAIMED increase in fuel economy. There's a pdf of the diagram, it looks very simple.

heh, too bad the exhaust for that'll be steam and will probably rust yer pipes from the inside out...

...and too bad also that the XS11 has a low-output alternator.

But if it DOES work... let us know!

An aside - I was thinking of trying to make use of electrical surplus also, but by hooking up little fans to my intakes and to the alternator directly so that they increase in speed along with the RPMs, giving me a sorta "ghetto" turbocharger.

I was ALSO thinking about taking my alternator into a motor shop and asking them to rewind it for more power.
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

Is this the Sci-Fi channel?

Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another.

Comment

Originally posted by randy
        Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only changed from one form to another.
        Yes, BUT...

Energy inherent in a system can be harnessed, and energy surplus can be redirected to increase efficiency.

we have bikes with alternators that drive the electric lights, charge the battery, etc. That alternator produces more energy than our bikes actually USE.

depleting some of that surplus to generate hydrogen and oxygen through electrolysis is an interesting idea, and could technically work, however, I wonder if there's anything to be gained from it.

I realize that my electric turbo idea would have to use more electricity than it's worth to be useful, but I was planning to have an "on/off" switch, and to use it when I wanted a little extra.

I mean, if you REALLY wanted the bike to be efficient, you'd route the exhaust through a boiler connected to a steam turbine to generate extra electricity that could be used to heighten either of these ideas.

Alternatively, we could attach a dedicated high-capacity battery bank that would have to be charged inbetween runs to do either of these things. Whether or not it'd be worth the additional weight remains to be seen.

PGGG, got a linkie to that diagram?
        Kristoffer
        "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

http://waterpoweredcar.com/hydrobooster2.html

Comment

Dunno until you try it I 'spose.
            http://waterpoweredcar.com/hydrobooster2.html

Comment

Ya know, I might just give this a go in my beat up old Ford Bronco. Logistically, it'd be easier than doing it to the XS.
              Kristoffer
              "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Hey,

When you guys pass through Brooklyn, let me know. I've got good a deal for you on a old bridge.

Comment

har har...

I have to wonder though, could it actually WORK? sometimes combining multiple combustible items can have a synergistic effect... Also from what I've read, you're supposed to adjust your carbs to be extremely lean.
                  Kristoffer
                  "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

The XS altenator (or any altenator for that matter) does not put out any more than is used. Any power taken from the altenator was produced by the engine.

That alternator produces more energy than our bikes actually USE.
                    DZ
                    Vyger, 'F'
                    "The Special", 'SF'
                    '08 FJR1300

Comment

No, I know it's impossible for an alternator to produce more energy than it took to turn the alternator... that's not what I was trying to say - what I mean is that ELECTRICALLY, our bikes have a surplus, and if we can use that surplus electricity to catalyze ignition, we might end up with a more efficient bike.

I have to wonder if this actually works - if it didn't, why would all these dudes out there be making them and driving them? I understand the reasoning behind why it's dismissed, but remember, scientists used to think that spaceflifght was impossbile, and that computers'd never be smaller than an enormous room.
                      Kristoffer
                      "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

another thing to keep in mind is that by your same logic, a supercharger shouldn't work either.

...but boy does it EVER!
                        Kristoffer
                        "Take apart yer carbs!"

Comment

Jeez, an entire night spent looking at joe cells and other hydrogen type stuff.

Pretty interesting stuff there pggg. Very, in fact. Curious to see how it all develops.
                          80 XS1100SG
                          81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

On TV down here was an investigative program checking out the motorbike this NZ guy was riding. The reporters drank the water then ran the bike on it. Bike went up and down the street. All seemed to check out up close. Showed the guy with 2 rough old wires from a battery dipped in the water. Water was 'charged for' 1/2 an hour. Impossible to decide.

Comment

Well, you are talking about breaking and recombing the H and O molecules, the energy in to break the bond has to be the same as the energy output from recombing the water molecule.

Taking in to consideration inefficiencies, it might be more advantagous to just drive an electric motor with the current, rather then do all those intermediate steps.

Steve
                              80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                              73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                              62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                              Norton Electra - future restore
                              CZ 400 MX'er
                              68 Ducati Scrambler
                              RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Working...
                              X