Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance

So who's got the best deal on bike insurance?
    Kristoffer
    "Take apart yer carbs!"
    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

For the bestest deal on insurance, it would be us New Zealanders. There is NO requirement for any sort of insurance. Ok, so about half of our NZ$290 yearly bike rego goes to the government accident insurance crowd (ACC), and about 6 cents/litre of petrol too, both to cover injuries from vehicles.

Of course if I t-bone a bmw or take out a fence, I could be hounded by their insurance co, so I should have 3rd party cover for that case, but that won't happen until I start riding again next summer. The bike's in a garden shed and the path is too soft to get it out to the drive!!

But I don't have to have it, it sadly depends on your morals and also whether you have enough assets etc for the other insurance co to chase you so that encourages you to get cover!

But as it isn't compulsory, the insurance co's are a little more realistic with their charges compared with what I hear from you guys?? But I think the kids (and those with a claim history) here have a bit more trouble than an older bugger like me to get insurance as well. In 18 years, never claimed, had one minor off road experience when 22 in the ol man's ute which I paid for, mainly bent guard and tweaked suspension

In my business (building) I have full cover on my ute (worth NZ$4000) and NZ$1 million liability for NZ$700 total/year.

David
    XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

I have my two XS's and SWMBO's FJ1100 all on the same policy , and it costs about $130 a year. I have Dairyland insurance. Even after having a claim last year, I don't think that's too bad.

Comment

See, I KNEW I was getting ripped off... My insurance company is charging me 300 bux a year for JUST ONE BIKE.

that's it, I'm callin' Geico.
        Kristoffer
        "Take apart yer carbs!"
        1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
        1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

I am 48 years old, and only have liability coverage. What do you have for coverage, and how old are you? I also have a homeowners discount. Who do you have for insurance? You may want to change carriers.

Comment

Hey Knewsom,

I've got Progressive for bikes, again like John, NO Comprehensive, just liability and Uninsured Motorist coverage, been with them for 3 years, first was about $105.00 a year, then this last year, due to good record and no claims and repeat customer, I got it for $79.00 a year. 1 Bike, but I, too, like John am of a more mature age and married, and Insurance co's look at that very closely for their rates.

Young single college age guys are the most prone for accidents, and then being on an 1100cc machine also doesn't help the rates, even though it's much older technology, it's still the size and resultant power that matters to them! Good hunting.
            T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I go through american family. Middle age, homeowners ins, 2 cars, and motorcycle. Costs me $80 a year for liability & uninsured motorist.

Comment

Now see, if you all would stay with reputable company instead of bouncin' around trying to find cheaper you could have good rates. Problem with the cheaper companies, have a claim and see how fast you'll be lookin around again! I have GUARENTEED no rate increase with claim or cancelation so long as premium is paid for rest of my life, and that's in writing!.........have cars, house, and bikes on policy.(XS1100 policy is 4bucks a month).............rest my case.
                81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hey Motoman,

Errrr.....you forgot to mention WHAT company you have

T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Got me T.C........................State Farm Ins. Companies.
                    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Hello All,
                      I used BikeLine.com and got a policy for $72. a year, liability and towing only.
                      82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
                      78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
                      74 Husky 400
                      70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

My insurance costs...

I have foremost (Through farmers) and it includes $3500 comprehensive/collision and it costs me $79.00/yr....
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

i have geico-liability,property damage,medical & uninsured all for 120.00 yr
                          lifes to short, so ride the wind

Comment

Went looking for my insurance website and couldn't find it, had to actually dig out the paper file
                            I wanted to see what my roadside assistance actually covered, going on a solo road trip soon, for $12. a year I'm covered for a 35 mile tow, delivery of water, gas or a battery jump.
                            So I'm paying $60. a year for the liability and the $12. for the roadside.

I've said all of that to say this;

The correct website is bike-line.com

I forgot the dash on my previous reply.
                            82 XJ1100J "Jackel"
                            78 Honda CB750-74 Honda CB750
                            74 Husky 400
                            70 Yamaha 360 & 70 175 enduros

Comment

My insurance in Ontario Canada on a 81 Honda 400 was about $450 /yr several years ago. That's mostly for 1 million liability. Fortunately I have a 6* rating with The Personal.
                              My brother paid $1200/year on his 2003 HD before it was stolen last summer, Don't know what he is paying on his 06. Although his insurance is unrealistic there is a very high theft rate on new HD's. My insurance on the other hand I do not consider unrealistic based on the fact that I pay $500 to $1000 per year on each car I own. The coverage is the same so the rates are comparable although I can only ride half the year at best.

greg
                              Greg

"An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses"

Comment

Working...
                              X