Extra Gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra Gas?

Does anyone carry extra gas on their bike? What kind of can do you use? Where do you carry it? I've only seen it done once that I can recall. I'd like to have an extra gallon or two with me, but am a little apprehensive about the where's and how's. Burl
    '79 XS Eleven Special
    "Dirty White Boy"
    "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

I just use the standard red plastic cans. The 2.5 gallon fits well in one of my saddle bags.

Since my sidecar rig gets such lousy mileage I end up with three gas cans when travelling the boonies. I'm still fighting petcocks on a Standard tank I ebayed and just now gave up and ordered aftermarket ones from partsnmore.

Someday I'll fabricate a tank and hook a transfer pump to it. I've seen bikes with tanks or cans mounted on luggage racks but it seems like a bad idea to me. I prefer to have "heavy" stuff as low and close to the center of gravity as possible.

Rob

Comment

Extra Gas?.........need tums???

You might do a search.
      Can't think of the guys name right now, (think he's in Colorado) but he made an aluminum spare tank for his XS. Did a very nice job of it too. Have heard of others using outboard motor fuel tanks also.

mro

Comment

I found these guys on Ebay. A little pricey, but I don't think I'll find better quality. For sure it's cheaper than buying and refurbishing/painting a stock touring tank (if I could ever find one!). http://www.tourtank.com/Tourtank35.html Burl
        '79 XS Eleven Special
        "Dirty White Boy"
        "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not watching you!"

Comment

Not sure what the name is, but a friend of mine uses small fuel cans that come with camp stoves that run on unleaded gas. Small, about the size of a small thermos bottle. Of course, they don't hold a great deal of fuel, but hopefully enough to get you to the next gas station when you go "Whoops!!" after realizing you are on R when you hear the motor sputter and die.
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

I think this is the thread you're thinking of HERE
            Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

Tanks Trikerneil

yup, that's the one.

Places out here and mid west where you can go for 150 to 250 miles without seeing a fuel stop. Also here in CA there are fewer gas stations now, even though there are millions more cars on the road than when I was a kid.

mro

Comment

Extra gas...

I carry a 1 gal plastic jug of gas in my left side bag, but I've never had to use it. I do rotate it ocassionally by putting it in the tank when I fill up and refilling the jug. One reason is because I need the extra weight on that side to make hands free riding possible without having to lean left all the time. I usually have to switch to reserve at 135 mi and it doesn't seem to make any difference if I been long hard riding at 80 to 100 on the freeway or puttin at 50 through the canyons.

The Solvang trip was a real freeway adventure and Mason and I did the trip always over 80 for the trip and sometimes well over 100! My bike really likes the higher speeds, she just sings so sweet over 80, and stable as a rock.

Coming home in heavier traffic I did some really wild lane splitting at high speeds compared to traffic and made really good time, but scared me enough to swear off that in the future. I figure much more of that kind of riding I probably won't last very long. LOL
                You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                Drilled airbox
                Tkat fork brace
                Hardly mufflers
                late model carbs
                Newer style fuses
                Oil pressure guage
                Custom security system
                Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I wonder if a gallon or thereabouts would fit in the empty toolbox, or if I could figure out some way to make a spiffylookin' shiny tank that fits nicely where my old airbox was... it WOULD be nice to have a little extra, just in case - I'm headed on a few road trips eventually, and it seems like cheap insurance...
                  Kristoffer
                  "Take apart yer carbs!"
                  1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
                  1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

Maximan has this set-up on his XJ

When his tank is getting low he turns on the valve from the standard 2.5 gallon tank - sold at most boat shops - and the gas not only gets to the carbs but flows back into the tank somewhat, as the 'auxillary' tank is above the standard tank; the gas guage actually starts to read higher after a few miles. All installation took was the tank, some 1/4 inch hose, a "T" fitting and valve. Works slick. Maximan also put one of those primer bulbs in-line, I think he uses it to get the gas flowing but don't know if it is necessary. You can see the primer and fuel line (line is light yellow) just above saddlebag and side cover. "T" is just behind the petcock.

Another advantage to this set-up is no fabrication needed, and aux tank is easy to remove. Don't make adding riding range any harder than it needs to be, guys. Photo taken on way to Lake Tahoe rally in '05.
                    Jerry Fields
                    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                    '06 Concours
                    My Galleries Page.
                    My Blog Page.
                    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                    X