High E-Bay bids lately...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High E-Bay bids lately...

So what gives? Lately, every XS11 part on ebay seems to be going for killing. $360 bucks for exhaust? $250 bucks for a set of carbs? $300+ for a gas tank? $100+ consistently for backrests?

I haven't been bidding on anything.

What is it though, do we XSives have more disposable income in the summer or is that when all the good parts turn up or what?

At these prices, I may have to look at other bikes, or start selling stuff! Seller's market?

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

I noticed the same thing. Maybe the number of us XSives is just getting, well, XSive!

If more and more of us are reserecting these old monsters, more people are on the prowl for needed parts. I feel you, as I search for an '81 LH side cover. It is holding up my painting job goal for this summer.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Look on the bright side - a seller's market will result in a greater niche market, resulting in more and better parts availability once additional aftermarket manufacturing happens.

a version of mikesxs for the 1100 would be incredibly welcome, and I think, incredibly profitable.
      Kristoffer
      "Take apart yer carbs!"
      1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
      1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

no doubt! Could you imagine having a selection like Mike's for our 11's? That would be awesome.
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

and mike's is very reasonable, however on a bike per bike basis, how many do yous guys think they made of ours vs. the 650?

is there really a market, or are we in a vacuum, legends in our own hinds...
          "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
          History
          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
          79 yamaha xs1100f
          03 honda cbr 600 f4
          91 yamaha fzr 600
          84 yamaha fj 1100
          82 yamaha seca 750
          87 yamaha fazer
          86 yamaha maxim x
          82 yamaha vision
          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

XS1100 vs. XS650

I believe XS1100 production ran 1978 thru 1981. XS650 models range 1970 thru 1984. I have no idea the numbers, but I'd bet the XS650 far exceeded XS1100 sales 1978 thru 1981, especially since the 650 was available in three models some of those years.

I would love to run my XS1100 forever, but the parts aren't going to be there. I don't expect there is enough of a market to make much reproduction worthwhile. Just my opinion, of course.
            Marty (in Mississippi)
            XS1100SG
            XS650SK
            XS650SH
            XS650G
            XS6502F
            XS650E

Comment

I saw the carbs to. If they are as described, $250 is not a bad price, works out to $62.50 per carb. You could not get any shop to do them for that. Not everyone is willing or able to dive into a set of carbs since they can be intimadating. Maybe there are more 11's coming out of the dark corners of garages and side yards. With liter+ bike prices clearing 5 figures, resurecting an older one is becoming more attractive. I guess it just makes our rigs a little more valuable each day. I have a 31 year old truck that is still in great shape. I know the drive train parts are still out there but the other stuff that gets old is getting tough to find just like the bike parts. It is our duty to keep these beasts alive.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Webbcraft,
                For old truck parts try LMC truck parts. They keep my (grandfathers) 86 F100 looking good.
                Pat Kelly
                <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

fools rush in were angels fear to tread

Not everyone is willing or able to dive into a set of carbs since they can be intimadating
                  to me it was the carbs, now i'm stuck, it wasn't so much for me anyways, liter machinery at 5 figures, but nostaltia and the "they don't make em like this" look, carved outa granite feel of mass.that has me going,

how much tinkering can you do on a new bike? more riding less worring?
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

make that 1968, not 86 F100.
                    Just got it back on the road yesterday.

Sorry for the off-topic chatter.
                    Now that people are shelling out bucks for our parts I should get rid of some of my spares.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Well, this is the highest-demand part of the year for all bikes and parts. Have noticed prices going up, even with shipping, but demand is also going up; who else is buying these parts except us? (Owners, that is.) On the other hand, now is the time to buy a snowmobile cheap......

Off-topic: Try finding new parts for a '76 Scout II. Yer Ford and Chevy stuff is easy by comparison.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.
                      "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The bad part about the high prices is the bikes that will be parted out as opposed to restored. Now it is more profitable to sell parts than the whole bike.
                        I have been watching the prts on ebay as well and was stunned when the MS gas tank went that high. I was floored when the pipes that had been welded went for 360.
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

you are right, owners needs these thing, maybe it's the supply and demand thing occuring, it's not like were spending the money for no reason, its to keep these pups on the road or to make them better, than for some parts bike to sit nuther 20years...
                          History
                          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                          79 yamaha xs1100f
                          03 honda cbr 600 f4
                          91 yamaha fzr 600
                          84 yamaha fj 1100
                          82 yamaha seca 750
                          87 yamaha fazer
                          86 yamaha maxim x
                          82 yamaha vision
                          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I have been thinking the same thing on the eBay prices. When I first got my bike back in December for example there were always several original Standard style seats on eBay for around $35-50 now when one pops up it fetches over $100. I should have bought one then, but I kept putting it off.
                            '81 H XS11 Standard.

Comment

Keep paying attention. Prices on eBay fluctuate wildly. Be patient.
                              Marty (in Mississippi)
                              XS1100SG
                              XS650SK
                              XS650SH
                              XS650G
                              XS6502F
                              XS650E

Comment

Working...
                              X