Tool Descriptions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tool Descriptions!

...aren't tools suppose to make the job easier?

DRILL PRESS: A tall upright machine useful for suddenly snatching flat metal bar stock out of your hands so that it smacks you in the chest and flings your beer across the room, splattering it against that freshly painted standard tank you were drying.

WIRE WHEEL: Cleans paint off bolts and then throws them somewhere under the workbench with the speed of light. Also removes fingerprint whorls and hard-earned guitar calluses in about the time it takes you to say, "Dayum!...."

ELECTRIC HAND DRILL: Normally used for spinning pop rivets in their holes until you die of old age.

PLIERS: Very handy to round off bolt heads.

HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

VISE-GRIPS: Also useful to round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.

OXYACETYLENE TORCH: Used almost entirely for lighting various flammable objects in your shop on fire. Also handy for igniting the grease inside the wheel hub you want that bearing race out of.

WHITWORTH SOCKETS: Once used for working on older British cars and motorcycles, they are now used mainly for impersonating that 9/16 or 1/2 socket you've been searching for the last 15 minutes.

HYDRAULIC FLOOR JACK: Used for lowering an automobile to the ground after you have installed your new disk brake pads, trapping the jack handle firmly under the bumper.

EIGHT-FOOT LONG DOUGLAS FIR 2X4: Used for levering an automobile upward off a hydraulic jack handle.

TWEEZERS: A tool for removing wood splinters.

PHONE: Tool for calling your neighbors to see if he has another hydraulic floor jack.

SNAP-ON GASKET SCRAPER: Theoretically useful as a sandwich tool for spreading mayonnaise; used mainly for getting dog **** off your boot.

E-Z OUT BOLT AND STUD EXTRACTOR: A tool ten times harder than any known drill bit that snaps off in bolt holes you couldn't use anyway.

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the tensile strength on everything you forgot to disconnect.

CRAFTSMAN 1/2 x 16-INCH SCREWDRIVER: A large prybar that inexplicably has an accurately machined screwdriver tip on the end opposite the handle.

METAL SNIPS: See hacksaw.

TROUBLE LIGHT: The home mechanic's own tanning booth. Sometimes called a drop light, it is a good source of vitamin D, "the sunshine vitamin," which is not otherwise found under cars at night. Health benefits aside, it's main purpose is to consume 40-watt light bulbs at
    about the same rate that 105-mm howitzer shells might be used during, say, the first few hours of the Battle of the Bulge. More often dark than light, its name is somewhat misleading.

PHILLIPS SCREWDRIVER: Normally used to stab the lids of old-style paper-and-tin oil cans and splash oil on your shirt; but can also be used, as the name implies, to strip out Phillips screw heads.

AIR COMPRESSOR: A machine that takes energy produced in a coal-burning power plant 200 miles away and transforms it into compressed air that travels by hose to a Chicago Pneumatic impact wrench that grips rusty bolts last over tightened 58 years ago by someone at ERCO, neatly rounding off their heads.

PRY BAR: A tool used to crumple the metal surrounding that clip or bracket you needed to remove in order to replace a 50ยข part.

HOSE CUTTER: A tool used to cut hoses too short.

HAMMER: Originally employed as a weapon of war, the hammer nowadays is used as a kind of divining rod to locate the most expensive parts not far from the object we are trying to hit.

MECHANIC'S KNIFE: Used to open and slice through the contents of cardboard cartons delivered to your front door; works particularly well on contents such as seats, vinyl records, liquids in plastic bottles, collector magazines, refund checks, and rubber or plastic parts.

DAMMIT TOOL: Any handy tool that you grab and throw across the garage while yelling "DAMMIT" at the top of your lungs. It is also invaribly the next tool that you will need.

damn that was funny...

can i cut and paste and send to my friends?
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Why not...that's what I did!

Comment

Our good friend Dan Hodges just informed me I forgot to mention a very important part that applies to this thread:

....and it's called a Jesus clip,that tiny C clip that goes flying just as you thought you had it on and you yell "JESUS" as it goes flying to some unknown corner never to be seen again!

Ok ok...I'm sure you guys can chime in here and tell me your favorite tool and part descriptions.

Comment

Visegrip, also known as a deknurling tool and useful for removing unsightly chrome plating from various sized shafts.

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

OPEN END WRENCH- Particularly helpfull in removing excess hide from almost healed knuckles when it slips off bolt heads. Often becomes a "Dammit" tool. Particularly useful in starting the rounding process before pliers or vice grips are used.

SHOP TOWELS- Emergency greasy tourniquets for above knuckles.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

A true multi-use tool... the socket wrench..

Very useful for not only rounding off nuts and bolts, but also hammering any variety of objects causing the socket part to fly under the bench.

Also useful for quickly slipping off a nut or bolt and removing the scabs that were just starting to form on the knuckles from the last time you used the open ended wrench.

(can also be used as a nailset in an emergency.)
              JimBoReeno
              My Ex!"Half-Breed"
              '82 XJ1100 Maxim with
              '80 XS1100SG Motor

Current Bike
              2000 Indian Chief
              Millennium Edition

Comment

Working...
              X