Solvang Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solvang Rally

So, here we are a mere 5 days ‘til the Solvang Rally. Too bad there isn’t more interest, but DiverRay and I are going anyway. Who knows, there may be some new riders from down south show up: I did send fliers to Yamaha dealers all over the state with our web site, and instructions to check in this week for last minute info, or to call me. I haven’t heard from anyone yet, but who knows, eh?
    It looks like DiverRay and I will head down Friday evening to some where about halfway so we won’t have such a long ride Saturday. Anyone from the Central Valley who wants to come might consider the same plan. If we all wound up in the same place we could ride down together Saturday and have some time to tour, drink, eat, terrorize locals: all those fun things that bikers like to do.
    Doesn’t look like my better half is going to make it. She is a quick-sketch portrait artist, and has a spot on Fisherman’s Warf in Monterey. My work is painfully slow, and one of us has to make money. Squaw work, buck hunt: knowhutimean Vern? Seriously, I wondered if she would be up for that long a ride, and it didn’t take much to talk her out of it.
    I look forward to meeting Planedick and any others that might make it. Sorry about you other guys like Loho, Pat Kelly, and XS650mike. I guess DiverRay and I are the Santa Cruz County XS11 committee. I guess we’ll just have to plan a ride to the Central Valley to look you guys up. Like Loho sez: it doesn’t have to be a big deal, just get together for a putt… right?
    Follow this tread for last minuet info on where to meet and what’s happening with the meet.
    Liberty
    Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
    I've been riding since 1959.

Makin' it...

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone else was going. I made reservations last week in Beulton and was beginning to think I was going to be the only one there. Mason79 said he may go, but I think he is trying to get the MC ready, but I don't have a progress report. I sent e-mails to all the So Cal members, about 25 and all them came back undeliverable except 2 and only one, Mason, is considerating the ride. I feel a little guilty because it isn't very far from here and a long ride for most others.

I am ready for a nice long ride and I think sometime this summer I will take a week or more off and go somewhere on a long ride. Maybe Colorado, maybe Texas. Couple of places I want to explore more and since I have a very reliable machine, why not? It would be nice if I could find someone who also needs to get away to ride with.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Ed and I will be staying at the Days Inn, 114 E. Highway 246 in Buellton. The phone is 805-688-8448 direct to the motel, or 800-329-7466 for Days Inn reservations.
      I booked online, room is about $180 with taxes, etc. That is 2 adults, 2 beds.
      My cell # is 831-234-8721 in case anyone needs to get a hold of me. Ed and I will probably ride down to Paso Robles Friday night, and go on into Solvang Saturday.
      I will post a "meeting place" for the late morning Saturday once ed and I look at he options.
      I think there are still rooms available, at about $145 plus taxes if any one else would like to join us.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ray, what route are you guys taking back up north? I might be able to meet you guys for lunch on Sunday around Morro Bay or Paso Robles...
        "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I was thinking the coast, but we could do an inland run and meet up with you. I'll have to look at a map, and work out a route.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG

Comment

PCH, Hiway 1, is a great ride, as I'm sure you know, but will take a while with the twists and the Winnebagos. We should do a PCH ride this summer. It is close enough for one long day ride, so time off and other commitments play less of a part in getting together.
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

I think the PCH in the fall would be best. Late September or October, no busses, and an open road. I used the road from Santa Cruz to SLO to break in an '83 650 Seca Turbo, one day round trip!
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG

Comment

waiting for my shifter gasket, i know i could make one, but i guess i'm on the fence wouldn't be bad to meet some fellow xsirs, if it comes easy, i ride out, called days inn, all booked, getting harder...
                "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

mason,
                  planedick is staying at the Buellton "split pea inn". I'll look up the information and post a little later. There are some other places in Buellton, and a friend said his roadster club stayed at a motel 6.
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

Ed and I will be riding part way down Friday, and would like to meet Saturday. I am thinking Andersons Split Pea for an early lunch. I think we will be there about 11:00am Saturday. The museum is open until 4:00pm, and should be a 15 minute ride from Andersons.
                    Anyone going, please chime in if the schedule won't work for your trip. There are a few NICE roads to ride nearby, so we can alway's ride Saturday, and visit the museum Sunday.
                    My cell #831-234-8721. It's going to be on "quiet" mode, but I will pick up any message, and probably call back within 30 minutes.
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

I forgot to add:
                      Hotels available in Lompoc and Santa Maria. Lompoc,
                      Super 8, Days Inn, and Best Value Inn.
                      Santa MAria,
                      Travel Lodge, Best Western.
                      Solvang,
                      Best Western Kronberg Inn.
                      You should be able to get phone numbers with Google. This is as of 10:00pm Thursday night.
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

I want outta here!!!

Damn it’s gonna be tight right down to the wire. This week has been nothing but screw-ups with anal-retentive clients and other oddball misadventures, but I’m gonna try my best to make it outta here tomorrow evening to head south. I’m sure that once I’m on the road it will all be worth it, and all will be well.
                        Liberty
                        Old bikers never die, they're just out of sight!

My recently re-built, hopped up '79 Special caught fire and burned everything from the top of the engine up: gas tank, wiring, seat, & melted my windshield all over the front of the bike. Just bought a 1980 Special that has been non oped for 9 years. My Skoot will rise from the ashes and be re named "The Phoenix!"
                        I've been riding since 1959.

Comment

i got the bike running and have p m 'd planedick to swing by we'll ride up together in the morning and do whatever and i shall turn back before nightfall...
                          History
                          85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                          79 yamaha xs1100f
                          03 honda cbr 600 f4
                          91 yamaha fzr 600
                          84 yamaha fj 1100
                          82 yamaha seca 750
                          87 yamaha fazer
                          86 yamaha maxim x
                          82 yamaha vision
                          78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

i need planedick's number

anyone?

just in case he does not check his email in the a m, i can call and intercept him at los angeles,

sounds like a sortie...

mines
                            310.666.6622 cell

626.285.5494 home
                            History
                            85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                            79 yamaha xs1100f
                            03 honda cbr 600 f4
                            91 yamaha fzr 600
                            84 yamaha fj 1100
                            82 yamaha seca 750
                            87 yamaha fazer
                            86 yamaha maxim x
                            82 yamaha vision
                            78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I hope you guys have a great time. SWMBO'S sister and her husband arrive this weekend. A couple of friends of mine and I are thinking of a ride to somewhere around SLO later this summer. Maybe August or September after school starts and the turistas have cleared out to some extent. My one friend has a new Road Star (I think. That's the 1700 cc one, right?). My other friend has an '87 (I believe) Honda, and, of course, if I can keep it running I'll be there on the '80 G.

I'm seriously considering selling it and buying a Cop Beemer.

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                              X