Case hardening wearing off tractor gears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Case hardening wearing off tractor gears

Hi, got a problem with the gear hardening failing on my tractor (yes, with 4 wheels, diesel engine and everything else a farmer dreams of )

A couple of months ago a PTO gear needed to be replaced, today was informed there's a noise in the front diff, most likely it'll be the same cause. The noise could be front the diff itself, or either hub reduction gear, either way the axle gotta be pulled apart.

Ok, so the ol girl is 13 years old, done 13000 hours or so, and the PO was a bit slack with a few oil changes and other general maintenance.

So the question is, is it to be expected, the hardening on gears to wear, due to age, abuse, whatever? Or was the thing built to a price and it's now falling apart? I need to talk to the shop and don't want to appear too stoopid. I want to suggest to them that it's a quality issue, but the trouble is they KNOW the full history of the thing and will be pushing the PO's lack of care. (I bought it privately at a deceased sale) Yeah I know everything is against me.

Can the gears be rehardened? If they aren't worn of course

Other machines I've had haven't had this sort of problem, but I've not had them quite so well used and have always kept up with their maintenance.

So there is someone out there with a spot of knowledge they're willing to dispense

Look, I've included pictures

Thanx
    David

What I got at the moment

What I might have to use

XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Curious.........does that have planetarys out at each front hub? And no, hardness doesn't wear off. The whole gear is case hardened. If the front has planetaries they have there own lube/oil contained in each of front hub assembly.
    81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Yes, if abused by too high loads or wrong oil the hardened surface wears off.
      It is just a surface hardening. The core of the gear is not hardened as it would break like glass under load.
      The hardened surface is just a few tenth of a millimeter thick and if it wears you have to replace both gears as the worn teeth also damage the "good" teeth of the matching gear.
      XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

An answer I didn't want

Thanks guys, yeah there are out board reduction hubs, separate oil. The problem turns out to be the diff.

The mechanic pulled the axle out (4 bolts and 2 tie rods) and took it back to the shop to look at it (their trucks have a crane ). Turns out the pinion bearings were worn and that has allowed it and the crown wheel to start wearing each other. They hadn't gone through the hardening and the shop said that new bearings would probably keep things going for awhile but knowing my luck it'll fail at the WORST possible moment. So told them to replace the gears too, parts are NZ$3500 but will be less if they can find cogs at the wrecker.

A fun fact!

The only way with most tractors to get 4 wheel braking is with the 4wd engaged, so every time you put the brakes on, the 4wd comes on.

Yes, I've locked all 4 wheels more than once on the road when a cage does something stupid. One of the other guys tore his entire front axle out when he had to take to the weeds at 40km/hr to miss a cage

The farms here are really steep, so the 4wd failing while heading down hill may result in more than fresh underwear being needed

Another fun fact....

Back in the days of little 2wd tractors I managed to get one rear wheel going backwards going downhill using too much engine braking. I was young enough to enjoy it, so went back and did it again

David
        XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Working...
        X