Only somewhat bike related

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Only somewhat bike related

Last night I was getting ready to go to bed when I hear a loud BANG/THUMP from the front of the house. "UT-OH, a wreck. probably our car".
    Sure enough I head out the door (in just jeans) and our Suburban is n o longer in front of the house. There is a black Jeep Cherokee in the middle of the street with the front-end smashed. That's when I see our 'burb 30 feet down the street, through out metal fence, and up against a tree.
    I run out to where the Jeep is and there's a man standing there saying "it's ok, I have insurance" and dialing a cell phone. I ask if there's anyoune hurt in the Jeep when my wife yells "I need some help over here!"
    I go over to the spot my 'burb had been sitting and there's a guy laying on the sidewalk face-down. Neighbors started yelling at the Jeep driver "You killed my friend!". I was climbing in the back of the 'burb getting wifes medic kit (she's an ER tech).
    As it turns out (my neighbor watched the whole thing) the Jeep was chasing the bike. He missed the bike at the back of by 'burb. He backed the Jeep to my neighbors yard cutting him off from that route, then ran-over the guy on the bike (standing behind the 'burb) then hitting our truck hard enough to send it the 30 feet.
    Wife did CPR on the guy from the bicycle but his neck appeared to be broken. He did enrouteto the hospital. Jeep driver was arrested. We're now out a car (it's totalled) and missing 10 feet of metal fence.
    My kids saw all the blood and gore but not too upset.

Not a good evening.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Damn, insanity. Wonder what made him chase the guy on the bike.

If he did have insurance, better hit them up before he gets sent up the river. Dude sounds like a real winner....

80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Pat,
      Get the insurance information from the cops, put in your claim against him NOW.
      I hope the jeep driver ends up in Pelican Bay. Seems like the proper place for him.
      Ray
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but a lot of the times, if someone had an accident in the process of a felony... insurance may refuse to pay. If they do decide to pay..... you had better be first in line. It sounds like he is going to have a rash of lawsuits against him.

Nobody at this point knows what the story was. I mean, maybe the guy driving the jeep had reasons.... motorcycle man was molesting his daughter... etc. Something like that, I may go off the deep end too.

I was an EMT for many years and saw alot of things that still bother me today if I was to really stop and think about it. I have noticed that these days, younger people seem to handle the "Blood and gore" better. I don't know if it is because it's so easily accessable on the net if they care to look, or that they see it on TV, or the video games they play, but they seem to handle it alot better than kids did 20 years ago. Just keep an eye on them. Don't push them, but just be there if they want to talk about it.

You lost a vehicle and some fence, and I don't mean to downplay that, but your family is safe.... the other stuff is just that.... stuff. It does sound like you had a really crappy night. Sorry you had to go through that. Keep us informed.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The dead guy was on a bicycle (bring a knife to a gun-fight).
          What I heard started all this was the guy on the bicycle rode through the Jeep drivers yard.

It's not bothering me, Wife and I both work at a county hospital so we're used to this kind of thing.
          Neighbors aren't used to it and they're all quite bothered.
          Our insurance is persuing him quite aggressively.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Ya know... to you and me that just seems soooo petty, but I remember just within a month or two reading about a guy that had shot a kid with a shotgun and killed him for the same thing. The neighbors said this guy was METICULOUS about his lawn... sometimes mowing twice a day! He said this kid would stomp through his lawn and get in cussing matches with the guy. It wasn't on the kid's way to anything, he was just being a little prick. After months and months of this kid pushing him, he finally cracked.

It's a bad deal. It seems like some good video sent to the police should have been a better option... but not an option for him now.

Tod
            Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Wow, that's really really sad.

A couple of years ago in town here there was a guy who got into it with his ex and killed her and her boyfriend. He then drove 20 miles or so and saw a guy jogging. Basically he had to either turn around or circle the block one more time because he missed the jogger the first time. That's just nuts.

My sister is a paramedic and she sees crazy stuff all the time. Not a job I could do.

Dan
              Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Comment

sorry to hear that

i guess i prefer to be here too often, as a form of illness than to have that kind of explosion and everyone getting hit with strapnael, maybe something you'll never forget...
                "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                History
                85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                79 yamaha xs1100f
                03 honda cbr 600 f4
                91 yamaha fzr 600
                84 yamaha fj 1100
                82 yamaha seca 750
                87 yamaha fazer
                86 yamaha maxim x
                82 yamaha vision
                78 yamaha rd 400