Recommend a decent welder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommend a decent welder?

Hey guys, I'm looking to get a new welder sometime soon. I'd like to be able to weld sheet metal and maybe some angle/flatstock/roundstock etc with it.

I've never welded aluminum before but I'd like to be able to if the need arose.

I'd really like the welder that ran off of 115v (in the US) vs the 230v models.

I want a fairly portable model, so that I could take it with me in my van if needed.

I'd like one that was capable of welding up to 1/8" steel.

I'd like to be able to use the shielding gas.

In the future I might build a bike frame, gas tank, and exhaust system.

I currently have an old lincoln AC stick welder that runs off 230v and is loud as hell (must have a huge fan inside). It's 225 amps, so I think I can weld fairly thick metals with it (or quickly melt stuff :> )

My welds with the stick welder look crappy. I know my technique probably sucks...I plan on getting a welding video to brush up on my technique. I want my welds to look good. It sucks having to chip all the slag off your welds, that's why I'd like the gas shielding.

I don't weld a whole lot, so I don't need a machine that's built for everyday use. I plan on welding maybe 4 times per month on average, doing small jobs each time.

I'm also cheap, which is one reason I built a megasquirt instead of buying an off the shelf fuel injection computer so take that into consideration as well :-)

My local tractor supply has a clarke spool gun welder on clearance for $300 (normally retails for $490). I just bought a clarke metal shear and went to cut some 16 guage metal with it (it's rated for 14 guage) and it snapped the blade of within the first inch of cutting. I don't know if I trust that brand now...

Any ideas?

Dan
    Home of ENIAC

Kinda like a MANIAC with 2 letters difference & a computer on board

Dan,
    I bought my wire feed welder in 2000. I'll have to try and find who sells it now, but it is a pretty good unit for home. I paid about $300 for it, and it will do gas or gasless. It came with the regulator for gas, and shielded wire on a small spool.
    The brand is a Shumacher, and I know they build battery chargers as well as welders. Do a Google on the brand, and see what you can do for the price.
    It runs on 20A 115V, but I've run it on 15A circuts most of it's life. unless you're trying to weld something thick, you don't need all the amps.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I bought a Hobart 140 (110 MIG) a year and a half ago and have used the crap out of it! I have never used the shielding gas with it, so if you are in a windy place, it sputters and pops a bit, but in a shop, it works like a champ! You can buy aluminum wire for it, but I have never tried it. The Hobart 125 would probably work for what you are wanting. It's a bit cheaper, but if you are really wanting to use a shielding gas, the 140 is probably what you'd need to look at. It'll melt that 1/8" angle iron like butter! I think they are about 450 bucks at my local Tractor Supply.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Thanks guys!

Whats a wire welder like to use? I've only ever used stick welders...

When using the flux core wire, is it just like using a stick welder (the slag buildup)?

Dan
        Home of ENIAC

Comment

Buy a roll of wire... looks like thin copper wire. Put it in the side of the machine on the spindle and push the wire into the feeding rollers. Squeeze the trigger until the line feeds out the end. You have an adjustment for wire feed speed, and one for how hot you want it to burn. Connect the grounding rod....point the wire to what you want to weld.... squeeze the trigger... you're welding! About as simple as it gets, and no sticks to change out. Not NEARLY the slag either.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100

Comment

If you can stick weld, with about 5 min. of practice your wire weld will look like a pro.
            Easiest welder I've used on steel.
            Ray
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG

Comment

Hot for Wire Feeder.

Hey Dan,

Kinda late to this thread, but wanted to put in a few good words for the Lincoln Pro-Mig 135, 110v/ 20Amp Wire feed welder with Gas gauges/hoses.

Look at this thread:My New Welder

With flux core wire you still get some slag, but not much once you learn how to use it properly, plus an angle grinder cleans it up pretty easily!!

Look at this thread for my welding Aluminum thread. I built my saddlebags out of THIN aluminum toolboxes!! YOU NEED TO USE 100% Argon shielding gas when welding aluminum, and I had it set at the fastest feed rate, and the lowest power setting, and it worked fairly well, I did burn thru once, but just went back over it to seal it! My machinist friend that was giving me help in learning how to use it, and to learn how to weld aluminum said that I would have needed to use the highest setting due to aluminum NOT holding heat very well, and thought I'd need lots of power to keep it melting, but I first tried it on the lowest setting, and it worked great.

There are different formats of aluminum wire, and you'll want to get the stiffer kind, so that it won't bind up in the feeder.

I use the flux core mostly cause it's easy to setup, and since it's a bit more of a pain for me to go to the local welding supply store when they are open to get my ar/co2 gas bottle filled!

Oh, get yourself a self darkening solar powered welding helmet, got one recently from Harbor Freight, makes liining up to start the welds so much easier, and you don't need a bunch of sunlight to see what you're doing!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

misspelled the company name. It's Schumacher, 125 Turbo MIG/Flux welder model # 90431.
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG

Comment

I agree with TC on the self-darkening helmet. It was a little hard to trust it at first, but it sure beats sparking it all over the place and leaving a scorched trail before you can see where you really want to be.

And TC... better late than never!

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

I know I need one of those helmets. right now it's such a pain to position the rod about right and then hold still and flip the shield down. Half the time I end up moving the rod by accident.

I have trouble with burn thru sometimes. It seems like the arc gets hotter the shorter the rod gets. My welder only moves in 15 amp increments, so it's 60, 75, 90, etc.

Plus somtimes I forget to keep moving the rod closer to the work, especially when I'm welding in a vertical position. Horizontal it's not so bad.

Thanks for all the tips and references to the other threads! I will read them :-)

Dan
                    Home of ENIAC

Comment

Auto Helmet - Harbor Freight - $49 Can't beat it. It is nice to have a free hand to hold the part while you zap it. I don't even notice the helmet get dark.
                      DZ
                      Vyger, 'F'
                      "The Special", 'SF'
                      '08 FJR1300

Comment

Speaking as a guy who did it for 5 years, if you adjust your helmet properly, it just takes a bit of a nod of your head to flip it down.

Also what do you use for wire when stick welding? You probably have an AC buzzbox, so 6013 is a good alround electrode to use on thin stuff, ie less than 1/4 inch.

Some electrodes only run good on DC.

Steve
                        80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                        73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                        62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                        Norton Electra - future restore
                        CZ 400 MX'er
                        68 Ducati Scrambler
                        RC Planes and Helis

Comment

I have had good luck with 6013. We used to use 6011 at work a lot but for the stuff I do at home it penetrates to much. I think 6011 is supposed to be better for out of position welding, like vertically and what not.

Yep, my current box is AC only :-(

Dan
                          Home of ENIAC

Comment

Working...
                          X