Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetter pins (.093 AMP)

For anyone who may be interested....

As a result of trying to rebuild my Vetter wire harness, I bought 100 each .093 male pins and 100 each .093 female sockets from McMaster-Carr, smallest quantity I could get. Only used a few. If anyone needs some pins or sockets to rebuild their Vetter connectors, drop me a line with a mailing address and I'll send you some. I do not have the nifty $25 tool that makes this job easier, you are on your own for removing the old pins and sockets.

McMaster-Carr part numbers are 69295 K22 (pins) and 69295 K32 (socksts.) Catalog page 724 under Pin-And-Socket Connectors.

Finally, if anyone does come across one of the pin and socket insertion / removal tools, at a reasonable price, let me know. Wouldn't mind having one in my tool box.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Jerry, I've found that a very small jewellers screwdriver works okay to depress the lock tabs so you can remove the old pins. The first time or two is a bit tricky till you figure out just how it all works but after that it is pretty slick.
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Pin removal

I have some small peices of tubing (Being an airplane model builder) and they make a perfect release tool. 1/8" to 3/16" for different size pins....
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

The other way is to take a small piece of shim stock and roll it into a tube. It make an adjustable tool, fits both male and female pins.
        Ray
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Yeah, I was able to remove the pins with a jeweler's screwdriver when I started this project, have not yet attempted to remove the sockets. Don't think I will have to, Vetter side of the harness is OK, the bike side (pins side) was where the problem existed. Just thinking ahead to swapping out the current connector with a newer Molex unit, may need the new pins and sockets then if I can't just swap the old ones into the new shells. (Existing units are missing snaps, currently held together with cable ties.) Another project for the future. Of the 100 pins I ordered, so far have used 1. However, that one was for the headlight circuit; nice to have a reliable headlight again.
          Jerry Fields
          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
          '06 Concours
          My Galleries Page.
          My Blog Page.

Comment

Jerry

Are these pins and sockets round? If so, I know where I can get the tool for removing them from the connectors. I bought one a few weeks ago for less than $8, used it, promptly lost it, and had the get a different type for $20 from another supplier to replace it. The day after buying the high dollar replacement, guess what? I found the first one. This tool works on the round pins and sockets on the XS's handlebar switch connectors. That's why I bought it to begin with.

Comment

For connectors and stuff try Mouser Electronics and Digikey. Both have web sites, just use a search engine and they will come up. Both welcome small orders and are reasonable with shipping.

Steve
              80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
              73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
              62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
              Norton Electra - future restore
              CZ 400 MX'er
              68 Ducati Scrambler
              RC Planes and Helis

Comment

John:

The .093 pins are round, and used in a variety of applications. If you could point me to an $8 tool I would appreciate it!

Here is a picture of the sockets and pins:

Note: these are new and unused connectors.

The small tabs on the side of the socket (top) and pins (bottom) hold the connector in the shell. The tool slips over these tabs and pushes them into the metal component, thus letting the entire connector slide out of the plastic shell they are in. While it is possible to use other tools to remove the connectors, if the connector is stuck in the plastic shell you will most likely break it unless you have the proper tool. At lest that is what happened to me; 8 of the 9 pins came out no problem, but not the headlight circuit pin.

Cost of the 100 each male and female connectors, with shipping, from McMaster-Carr was $16.91, or roughly 8.5 cents each. Not a big deal, but it would be nice to have the proper tool to remove and insert new connectors if you are going to be doing any quantity of repair work. And, as I mentioned, these pins and sockets are used in a variety of electrical connections on anything from airplanes to computer equipment.

The original Vetter connector shells are no longer made, so your only choices are to replace the old pins and sockets or put new Molex connectors on both the bike and inside-the-Vetter harnesses.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.

Comment

Jerry

The tool I have is made for Weatherpac brand connectors like GM uses on their cars. When I went searching for a replacement, I had to bu a high dollar brand that was for the same application, and I was informed then that the size I was needing was the only size terminals, most likely .093 is the size I'm talking about, but I don't know that for sure, used in the industry. I bought a bunch of the terminals also, so I could repair the connector for my left side switch gear. I tell ya what...pm me your mailing address, and I'll send you the $8 tool, and if it is what you need, then just send me the $8, if not just send it back. You may want to try at a local eletrical terminal supply store and ask for the Weatherpac teminals and tool.

Comment

Go to a hobby or craft store and find a piece of brass tubing that just fits over the pin, it will compress the keepers and you can extract the pin.

Steve
                    80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
                    73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
                    62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
                    Norton Electra - future restore
                    CZ 400 MX'er
                    68 Ducati Scrambler
                    RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Go to a hobby or craft store and find a piece of brass tubing
                      Guys, I am in the hinterlands of western Colorado. Nearest town that might have any of this stuff is Grand Junction, about 65 miles away. Round trip = 130 miles, or about $12.00 in gas. Easier for me to mail-order the stuff or find it on eBay. Not that I mind the trip, but it doesn't take long to justify paying $20 for a tool if it cost me $12 just to try to find one.

I will stop by the local hardware store and see if they have any small diameter tubing; its a good idea and I might get lucky.
                      Jerry Fields
                      '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                      '06 Concours
                      My Galleries Page.
                      My Blog Page.

Comment

I sell a crimper that will do those for $12.50 on my website if anybody is looking for a good but cheap one.

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                        X