changed fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changed fender

ok guys i changer my fender this weekend and i have a problem. my problem is on my old fender the igniton box mounted on the fender but the new fender dont have that spot to mount it so where did they mount the box then

the bike is a 79 standard and the fender is off a 81 i liked the turn signals on it that why i got it
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Bandit.
    The 78 and 79 had the box on the fender. The specails and later models had the box under the seat. You can look for a newer seat, or make the box fit.
    You CAN do anything with these bikes, You just have to WANT to change them.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

ok sounds good i will see what i got to do and thanks i might be doing some moving of the box or find a way to mount it to the fender like it was

Comment

when they say under the seat
        it actually is mounted on the plastic
        fender in front of the rear wheel
        very similar to the rear fender
        i have a plastic one here somewhere from a 1980 standard
        but you need to make sure the seat won't hit the box in the new position
        http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
        78E main ride, since birth the "good"
        78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
        78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
        79F Parts
        80G Parts
        75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Hey Bandet01,

I done the same thing. Mine is a 79 standard also. I changed the rear fender and the plastic inner fender and got a seat for a 80 xs1100 and put it on. I done it cause I like the look of the tail light with the 80 grab bar. I even put the rear shocks off a 81 as well. The ones with the reflectors on them. It all worked fine for me. I had to do some modifications but nothing major. You may just be able to bolt that cdi box on the old plastic fender and still get your seat to fit. When I bought my bike it didn't have seat. So I just changed things around. That is why now I call it Mutt! It's all mixed up here and there. Good Luck!
          Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
          87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
          93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
          71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
          69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

well i am thinking about seeing if i can just change all the stuff off the 81 fender and put it on my 79 fender so i can keep the cdi were it was and everything so that is the only thing i got to change out

Comment

Working...
            X