Absolutley nothing to do with bikes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Absolutley nothing to do with bikes..

I have lugged the 100ft cord and my electric trimmer out for the last time. It takes longer to do the trimming than it does to mow that big green expanse known as my back yard. Its gas trimmer time. Ok, let me have it, whos got what kind and what not to buy. This outa be better than a tire or oil thread.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Don't buy an electric one. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Shindaiwa is really good but odds are I didn't spell it right.

Geezer
    Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

If you've got any sense, you'll go out and find a gas engine unit with a curved shaft that will take 80 gauge string. This is really all you should need. However, the fact that you're part of this XSive group means you'll probable be more attracted to one of the straight shaft models that will let you ditch the string head and put on a carbide tooth circular blade that will easily fell small trees. Stihl and Husqvarna are two brands that come immediately to mind from someone like me who lives in a part of the world where we're still taking down old growth forests and we're proud of it.
      Ken Talbot

Comment

The only thing I hate worse than working on two-stroke bikes... is working on a two-stroke weed whacker. Real men ride 1100's and use electric trimmers. (this from the guy that recently trimmed his fruit trees with a craftsman jigsaw)
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

well i am a fan of the new four stroke craftsman straight shaft weedeat is has alot of motor and is good quality that is what i am getting when i have to start doing my own yard work

the main reason i like it so much is no mixing gas
          79 yamaha xs1100f standard
          best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

I use my Craftsman 2-stroke curved shaft that spins to do the edge work. push a button. shaft spins around and back to trimming. Had it about a year now with no problem starting. A little cold blooded.
            S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
            1-big XS patch
            1-small XS/XJ patch
            1-XS/XJ owners pin.
            1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
            2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
            1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
            1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

They're more expensive, but if quality is what your after, you can't do much better then Echo.

Steve
              80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
              73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
              62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
              Norton Electra - future restore
              CZ 400 MX'er
              68 Ducati Scrambler
              RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Well I had one of those four-stroke brushcutters with the handle bars and a shoulder strap. Yeah, it had a 14" saw blade too for cutting down Christmas trees. When I moved back to the city (still dont know what I did that for) using the thing around the house was like using your alcohol dragster to go to the grocery.

So I bought a Homelite two-stroke at Home Depot. Works great and the best thing is that after a few years, it is cheap enough to just throw away and buy a new one.
                Mike Giroir
                79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

When I was doing farm maintenance contracting, I got a straight shaft Sthil with 3 heads,[list=1][*]String (never used)[*]3 or 4 pointed blade. Great for grass and brush weeds[*]Circular saw, cuts 3 inch trees, but stalls in grass[/list=1]

If you ride an XS, you gotta get the grass blade, string is for pussys Just don't get too close to anything you want to keep like shrubs, fences, legs

Keep it hidden from brother's in law too, I ended up getting mine to buy it, he "borrowed" it that often

David
                  XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

I hate to say that!

When it comes to garden machinery, there is nothing better than Honda.
                    They have a 4-stroke trimmer, lightweight, reliable as all Hondas.

Honda Trimmer

I bought a used Honda lawn mower 8years ago. Still starts at the first pull with very little maintenance.
                    kinda pricey though!

P.S. I heard, they are building motorcycles, too.
                    XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

I knew I would get alot of feedback on this one. The Honda looks like it would last forever (typical of Honda power equipment). But they are pricy. Recent cruise of the neighborhood showed a wide range of brands in use. I am not a fan of the "auto feed" feature since they give up auto feeding after the first year. I am leaning toward the Stihl's since most of the "pro" lawn care guys are using them around here. As for two-stroke vs four- stroke. the "smokers" will last along time with reasonable care. Most of the hard start problems I have seen is from leaving them all winter with fuel in them resulting in a heavy oil rich mixture. Torque on the four strokes is more linear vs the narrow power band of the "smokers"(kinda like the difference between my ex YZ250 vs my DT400). Yes, I have seen circular saw blades mounted on trimmers, theres a "Life in the ER" segment if I ever saw one! But being the gearheads we are, we do it cause we can. To bad no one makes a "chamber" for the two strokes.
                      When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I have a copy of the Two Stroke Tuner's Handbook on CD if you want to build a tuned exhaust for your weedwacker. ;o)

Geezer
                        Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Have had both gasoline and electric weed wackers. For gas model, currently running a Craftsman 49cc unit, but put a different head (manual) on it after tha auto-feed head broke after several years use.

Suggestions:

Find a unit that will handle .065 line at aminimum, the .080 stuff is better. My craftsman will handle both sizes OK, currently running the .065 since I'm just doing grass along fence lines. The .080 stuff will handle heavier weeds and such, and I have part of a spool of that stuff for when I need it. I do 150 - 160 linear feet on a single 18 inch stand of .065, more using the .080.

The curved shaft style uses basically a spring, looks something like a drain cleaning snake. The straight-shaft stuff uses a drive shaft, heavier duty and probably longer service life, but pricier. Lubricate the curved-shaft units every couple years and you won't have trouble.

I'ld look at the Husquvarna string trimmer line if I was in the market now.

My unit is a 2-stroke (40:1) so very little smoke and light weight.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

While I was working today, I had a thought on this from another angle
                            For most of us, yard work is a chore that's interfering with XS time, so what you use, it's gotta be reliable (I'd rather fiddle with my XS ) and has enough power to get the job done in a hurry
                            That's why I still reckon to go for at least 40cc of brushcutter and a grass blade. Sure the odd shrub/toy/dog mine gets hit/shredded, but the job gets done, then it's time to ride
                            Though I think repowering your yard equipment with that spare XS engine could be over kill, I'd be interested in video of it working
                            David
                            XS1100G (3X1 000274) "Torquey"

You can think of a lightning bolt as essentially a really really big bug zapper. Unfortunatey, we're the bugs.

Comment

Working...
                            X