MSF Class

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSF Class

After finally attending a MSF class last weekend, I have nothing but praise for them. Relearned a lot I knew before and quite a lot I didn't know as well as I thought I did. Had a fun time, to boot.

For any of you guys just starting out or starting out over again (like me), I highly recommend taking one of these courses. It covers a broad range of skills, and the course I took included around 12 hours of bike time. I left it feeling FAR more confident about my riding skills overall.

The 10% insurance deduction dosen't hurt, either.

http://www.msf-usa.org/
    80 XS1100SG
    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

We don't get a break on insurance in this neck of the woods, but I can still highly recommend the course too.

When SWMBO learned to ride 10 years ago, she took the full curriculum which at that time involved three full weekends of instruction. She had to travel about 2 1/2 hours from here to atttend, which involved overnight costs which added to the overall cost. In hindsight, this was the best thing we could have ever done to get her into riding. I found myself browsing through her books and thinking to myself, "Hmm, I never knew that", or "boy, I wish somebody had told me that a long time ago".

A few years back, we both attended an advanced course for licenced riders. This was a two day course delivered on a weekend, but at least this one was done in our home town. Again, I picked up a lot of stuff that I had never been taught and I had certainly never learned on my own.

<<soapbox mode on>>

Every year, somebody in this group gets hurt, and many years, it is more than one. Some guys get off pretty light and all they need is a few replacement parts for the bike. Some do not get off so lucky, and no amount of spare parts can bring them back to us or their loved ones.

Please - if you have the opportunity to take a MSF course, do it.

<<soapbox mode off>>
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Good course...

When I got my XS I hadn't ridden in about thirty years and it was so top heavy I couldn't picture taking the DMV test with it. I found that taking the course meant that I didn't have to do the DMV test, so that was the reason I took it. I learned some new tricks and unlearned some bad habits. Good course and they even supplied the MC for the riding part. $100 well spent.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Around here the question is'nt the want to, it's just trying to get in a class. Registration for the season is filled within hours. In Illinois the classes are put on as an outreach of the local colleges. The cost is $20 and you can get it back or donate it to fund future classes. If you pass you take your certificate to the DMV and wave the written and driving portions, take your vission test pay your fees and get your licence.

Ed Z

P.S. you also get a break on insurance.
        It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
        81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
        82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
        82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

Comment

Just signed up

I'd been away from riding for 20 years when I got the 1100. I remembered the 80SG was a hand full back then so I went looking for the MSC as soon as I found out the new bike would run. Start June 2. Cost $100 for 20 hours of instruction and they supply they bikes. Its also part of the local community collage system here in NC. Can't wait. You get an insurance break and they wave the ridding test upon completion.
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
          81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
          82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
          81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

As a CSC (Canada Safety Council) CI I'm glad you enjoyed your crse and even happier that you got something out of it.

All too often, myself included, we think we may be pretty fair riders until we take a crse and find out that in fact we know very little.

Our crse is of the same mold - we offer approx 4 hrs of academic instruction and 16 hrs in the saddle. Depending upon what province your in, you may or may not see an insurance discout.

The most important thing is that we'll all be a little better off with some practical trg.

Ed
            "ride to be visible but pretend you're invisible"
            84xj1100
            82xj1100

Comment

MSF Test

I just took this test and got 44 out of 48 right. Had trouble with their acronyms.

http://www.msf-usa.org/CourseReview/Questionframe.htm

Hint: Pretend you never had an old Brit bike.
              Shiny side up,
              650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
              XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Quiz

Your right, the acronyms are a challenge.
                I managed a 45 out of 48.
                Walt
                80 XS11s - "Landshark"
                79 XS11s
                03 Valkyrie
                80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
                78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
                81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Planedick, I borrowed a 750 for the same reason to get my license endorsement, then later took the course. Based on the fact that I rode my XS to class, the instructor gave me the biggest bike they had, as they had several 90s, several 150s, and one 250, thinking that I could handle it best. After I completed the class, I rode my XS to the DMV after hours and did the test on her...easy as pie.
                  One thing that always sticks in my mind from the class: Another guy my age was taking the class with his wife and son; the guy had been riding for thirty years and was quite skilled. During the accelerate-through-the-turn-and-then-stop portion, I went pretty slow, and they made me do it again. This skilled rider was next, and he zipped in, leaned it way over, nicked the painted line, and lowsided out. He was the only guy to drop his bike all weekend. I'm sure there's a lesson there, but I'm not sure what it is....
                  Most valuable lesson I got from the class: Keep looking way down the road, especially in turns; I was locking myself up by fixating on the line right in front of me, and crept around turns like an old lady...now I creep around them like an old man!
                  "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Originally posted by LoHo
                    Most valuable lesson I got from the class: Keep looking way down the road, especially in turns; I was locking myself up by fixating on the line right in front of me, and crept around turns like an old lady...now I creep around them like an old man!
                    That is my biggest problem to conquor so far. It's still tough for me to "trust the bike and pay attention to the road".

Keep that head up!!!! Must've heard that 20 times during the class. I creep thru turns like an old lady too. Still much to practice.

Nobody in my class dropped their bike until the words "practice for the riding test" were said, then 2 people did on the 135 degree turn. Luckily noone did on the actual test. We had a mom and her 15 y/o son. They did really well, and passed the whole class. I hope to get my son in it sometime this year. I would have loved to be able to take it when I was that age.
                    80 XS1100SG
                    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

Worth mentioning...

Recently I saw a peice on the news about a MC rider that had filmed (recorded) a traffic accident on the freeway with her helmet cam. Some idiot lost it in the fast lane and came accross two lanes to hit her. When she was interviewed on camera, as she wasn't hurt because she was wearing the proper gear, I was amazed to see it was one of the students at the same class as me. A young lady that had never ridden a MC before and in the beginning had a difficult time, but as the second day progressed, she did quite well. In the video it is apparant that she was doing everything the right way, but then there are idiot cagers....

Always go around blind corners like you ae sure there is a refrigerator lying in the road just out of sight. If not that there is sure to be some gravel, or water, or oil, etc....
                      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                      Drilled airbox
                      Tkat fork brace
                      Hardly mufflers
                      late model carbs
                      Newer style fuses
                      Oil pressure guage
                      Custom security system
                      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Here's a video of the perfect reason for a new or out of practice person to take this class

Oops

This guy has to be a Yamaha lover... He's got the perfect solution of how to ride a Harley!!

I'm willing to bet he's upside down a bit in what the bike is worth right now...

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Sure is true about keeping your head up and looking where you are going, not where you are. I remember taking the DMV test many years ago on a bike with a frame mounted fairing. They wanted me to ride around this little circle keeping my front wheel between 2 concentric circles about 18" apart. Couldn't even see the front wheel. They give you 3 tries. First 2 times I ran over the line, 3rd time I just looked across the circle and gassed it. Success!
                          Shiny side up,
                          650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by trbig
                            Here's a video of the perfect reason for a new or out of practice person to take this class

Oops

This guy has to be a Yamaha lover... He's got the perfect solution of how to ride a Harley!!

I'm willing to bet he's upside down a bit in what the bike is worth right now...

Tod
                            Harley riders, ya just gotta love 'em!
                            Shiny side up,
                            650 Mike

Comment

When we first moved to CA, the wife and I took a city-sponsored course that resulted in getting our licenses. (Later on, my father, then in his late sixties took the course and passed but refused to surrender his PA license.)

We followed up that course with the MSF basic course (as it was THEN taught in 1976-77) at a local community college. It was a number of nights and Saturdays on the "range," taught by a couple of CHP officers.

I have heard and read that lately there is a lot of controversy over the current MSF curriculum. That they are attempting to monopolize the teaching of motorcycle safety, that they have shortened the curriculum to the point that the training is less than adequate, and a few other odds and ends. It seems, IIRC, that there is a big stink in Oregon because Oregon has developed their own very well received training course and the MSF is trying to force the state to use the MSF course.

Bulletins as they happen.

Ralph

Comment

Working...
                              X