First use of colortune

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First use of colortune

Just used my colortune I got for Christmas for the first time.
    I used it on my XJ650 Maxim. This bike was a basket case that got put back in running order from all the help on this site (It's amazing who similar the two bikes are in what needs to be done to get them running.) The first owner put on 4 into 1 headers and the butchered the air box to try to get it to run right. The second owner rejeted the mains to get it to run over 3000 pretty well.
    My first job was to go back to a stock airbox (the conections from the air box to the carbs were three stock and one nobody knows what bike it came from.) This solved some of the problem but not all. It need some choke to run well at low rpms, would stumble and cough, and then take off like a bat out of hell once it fit 2000 rpms. The carbs are clean with no air leaks and sync'ed. Not being a carb man I could guess that the pilot screws need to be set richer but didn't know who much and could never find the sweet spot. Enter colortune, I took the bike for a 15 minute ride to get it up to temp, used the colortune per the tech tips, it took a little to figuer out the color to look for. It was very easy to do (about like sync'ing the carbs), resync'ed the carbs and all I can say is it is a great tool for those that can't adjust carbs by ear. The bike runs smooth from idle all the way up, AND throttle responce is nice and predictable.
    It's an 80 LG My Midnight Ride
    81 XJ650 MAXIM The Preachers Bike (Gone but not forgotten)
    82 KZ 305 CSR Training Wheels (now my daughters)
    82 GS 850 GL SWMBO's (HER RIDE)

'He who wanders is not always lost."

I'll have to get one of those.

Have a look at ebay # 4636191682

Is that the same sort of thing you have?

Dan.
    Automotive Imbecile.
    Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
    '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
    1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

That is/was the unit, Stralya. Retail price directly from Morgan is British Pounds including postage. Price list here
      Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks Ken.
        Automotive Imbecile.
        Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
        '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
        1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

I believe Ken have you the URL for a carbtune by Morgan of which I own and it is a great tool for synching the carbs, however what you asked about was the colortune which is what this thread started out about. Check out http://search.ebay.com/colortune_W0Q...sopZ3QQxpufuZx there are four for sale. Also do a search on google for colortune and you will see the page. I have one and they are great for getting the mixture right on each cylinder.
          2 - 80 LGs bought one new
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
          Jim

Comment

Actually, the colortune is also listed in the menu on the left on the linked page. It is a bit lower down on the page. The page specific top the colortune is here
            Ken Talbot

Comment

My bad Ken....I didn't see that. Maybe he can pick one of those up on EBAY and save a couple of bucks.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Working...
              X