X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Becoming a CSI devotee!

Hey there Gr8tCook,

You need to follow the evidence!

First, thanks for re-using your previous thread (hint, hint for newbies ) ! !

Secondly, Prime doesn't help! Sorta rules out fuel flow problems since 1 and 4 ARE getting fuel.

Third, restricting air flow on #'s 2 and 3 has NO affect on how it runs, but 1 and 4 will kill it!! Hmmmm, you've found something pertinent!!

Cylinders 2-3 are linked thru both the pickup coils, as well as the Ignition coil! They are not linked with regards to fuel!

You stated that you took off the tank to rewire the headlight! You could have accidentally pulled the connectors for the primary side of the coil loose? You need to pull the plugs and check for SPARK on 2 and 3. IF no spark, then you have to do some more trouble shooting! IF you DO have spark, then follow the fuel, but I'm now betting on electrical!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

don't soak the carbs...

you may ruin the butterfly shaft seals

Comment

I had started to think electrical as well (however, I did not know about the pickup coil link, thanks!). So I pulled the plug from #2 (assuming that #1 is the far left when sitting on the bike) and connected a jumper from the threads of the spark plug to ground.

No spark.

I then decided to check spark at #4 (A power producing cylinder)

No spark.

this leads me to believe that my spark testing methodology leaves something to be desired. I am testing out in the light on the street. Should that matter? How hard should it snap? (I have extensive automotive experience but very little cycle experience and don't know when things are different.)

I know this is most likely an electrical problem but I'd still like to know . . .

Are the seals around the throtle shaft expensive to replace?

Should I need to ballance the carbs, will the colortune work for that?

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Cook
          Should I need to ballance the carbs, will the colortune work for that?
          No, a colortune will only help you adjust for optimum fuel/air ratio at idle. Balancing the carbs requires the use of vacuum gauges or a manometer-type sync tool. "Mercury sticks" are pretty reasonably priced, probably about half of what it would cost to send the bike in once to a shop to have it done. Buy the sticks, read all about how to use them here, then do it yourself.
          Ken Talbot

Comment

Thanks for the steer towards the pickup coils T.C.

I found that the wires to the pickup coil had been "repaired" previously. I am so sick of the hack-slam-butcher wiring on this bike. Just when I think I have purged the last bit I trip over something else!

The bits of wire sticking out of the pickup coils are pretty short.

If I'm not able to patch this up (I think I can but . . .) how much will it cost to get new coils and where can I get them?

Is it hard to get the proper clearance set on the pickup coils? I'd like to remove them to repair the wires but not if I'm going to be opening a can of worms.

Cook

Comment

I picked up my spare set of coils on e-bay, cost me around $35. I just saw a set on there today...
              81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
              sticky side down!

Comment

Here you go item #'s

120004721287 or 290003002391
                81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
                sticky side down!

Comment

Hey Cook,

Glad you possibly found the culprit to your problem, you already knew the original culprit, the P.O.!!

The coils are not hard to regap, Randy posted the distance in a recent reply, have added that tidbit of info to my evergrowing list of pending tech tips! I'll do a search for it and add it to this, but I think it was 0.7mm!
                  T.C.
                  T. C. Gresham
                  81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                  79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                  History shows again and again,
                  How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

You guys are the best!

I've found more crap and I mean crap!

I'm too tired to write about it but YOU guys are the BEST!

Thanks,

Cook

Comment

Working...
                    X