changing rear end gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• changing rear end gear

ok guys i am wanting to change my rearend gear out to a high gear for drag racing is there any way to do it without having to go to a chain drive setup and does anybody know what the stock ratio is on the 79 xs1100f

i still want to be able to ride it on the street but i want something to lower the top end but get me there really quick
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Bandet,
    Some of the Vmax croud have changed the ring gears, and over all gearing. I don't know if it would fit our bikes, but someone does make it possible. You could also try going to a low profile 16" rear tire, probably drop 2% off the top end.
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

.. has anyone tried using the final drive from an XS 750/850?

Comment

i am just looking at how to get a lower 1/4 mile time but still have a good street bike too

Comment

Originally posted by GNEPIG
          .. has anyone tried using the final drive from an XS 750/850?
          It has been discussed here before, and it was decided that the final drive from a 750-850 is the same gear ratio.

Comment

If I remember, there is a difference in the middle drive gear ratio
            for the 1977 and earlier 750s. This will get you quicker off the line but you lose top end speed. I think this is correct. You may want to check it out and it should be a very easy fix.

Marc

Comment

now how hard is that gear to change out i dont race to top end i race a 1/4 mile at a time

Comment

Bandet,
                The middle gear is the chrome cover above the shifter. You may be able to pull the complete middle gear box in about 1 hour. your big problem is will the gears from the 750 fit the shaft? If so, you have a quick and dirty fix to gear down just a little bit.
                Check the yamaha web site, and do a search on the middle drive for the early 750, then look at the XS1100. I would start with the two shafts the gears mount on, to see if they are the same part number. If not, a trip to a bike wrecker may yeald an early 750 middle drive, and then you can pull and measure to see what will fit.
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                X