It finally happened!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It finally happened!

About three years ago I needed a project so I took my 79 special down to the frame and refurbished most everything. When I was finished it was a great looking piece, if I say so myself. Until recently I have not been riding much and it got alittle bit shabby sitting in the garage. A few weeks ago I started it and polished it up then, went for alittle ride. At a stop light, a guy and his girlfriend on a Harley pulled up next to me and looked my machine over. He raised his visor and said "Man, that is a beautiful old bike. Where did you get that?" I was speechless, of course!

Now I certainly dont have anything against the thumpa-da-thump guys but, nice comments from them about foreign bikes are few and far between.

Has anyone else ever had a similar situation?
    Mike Giroir
    79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

few and far between

I frequent a couple places Harleys do.
    Most say nothing about my 80G, but one actually new what it was and said it was "pretty cool".

Last week guy had 2003 V-Rod, first one I've seen that really looked good, but unless they want to sell me one for $1,500.00 they can keep em.

mro

Comment

Not Really

Last weekend I needed to ride up to the local Yamabandit store for an exhaust gasket. As I pulled out on to the main road a pack of about 30 Hardly Abelsons rolled thru the intersection in front of me. I made my turn and followed them at a respectable distance not wanting any of the parts or oil falling off hitting my XS. I figured they were heading up the road to the next town or maybe to the Harley shop in New Bern for spares. As my turn approached to the Yamaha store I noticed 2 of their riders make the turn and stop in the opposite lane to stop traffic so the pack could also turn into the Yamaha place. Not wanting to look a gift horse in the mouth I tucked in close to the tail of the pack and rolled into the parking lot with the group. I waved to the 2 guys holding back the traffic and they looked right thru me like I wasn’t on the same planet. They all parked their rides on one side of the lot so I pulled into the opposite side. Got off the bike and went in to pick up my part. After coming out I walked down the line of bike as I can appreciate nice looking machinery no matter what it is. There were some great looking V twins in that lot, V Rods, full customs, full dressed hogs and factory stock machines, of all types. Now my SH isn’t the best dressed girl at the party but she is clean, runs great, looks good, and for being the old lady in the lot, worthy of respect. Not one comment or even acknowledgement from the V twin crowd. As I left the lot and got back on the highway I did notice a few folks watching as I brought her up thru the gears rather briskly. That was fun.
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
      81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
      82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Got "attacked" the other day at a weekly informal cafe/beer meeting by a 1500 goldwing rider.... he was all over my XS. But it shouldnt count... he said he had 3 elevens... two 78s and a 79. A similar thing happened a while back by a guzzi quota rider. He was a fan of the old jap brutes.

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

As I mounted up at Lowe's one night last week, a Senior Citizen sporting a ponytail stopped in front of Kong and me and stood there grinning at the bike for a couple of minutes. Finally he said "Daa-umn!", shook his head and walked away. I think that means he liked it.
          1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Went for a ride with a couple of pals yesterday who were on their Harleys. They are both old Brit bike riders who bought Harleys because they can no longer fold their bodies onto their Triumphs and BSAs for any distance. We stopped at Ukiah Harley Davidson so one of them could pick up some parts for his Harley. I remarked that I hoped I would be annoying some of the Harley crowd by parking Rusty prominently in front. The consensus was that somebody's got to do it. Neither of these guys wears any Harley regalia, they just happen to ride Harleys.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
            X