Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XJ guys tackle an XS11

Fellow XSives -

Mike Charon hosted the Impromptu Bay Area Clinic in San Jose and we had a grand time. Tim (on a red Honda VFR) met up with me (Yamaha FZX700) in Fairfield. and we headed down to San Ramon to meet Peter and his screaming yellow XJ650. I had one minor problem with the FZX fuel system... it would only run on Reserve. Once I figured that out, the first leg of the trip went smoothly.

We arrived at Peter's around 9:00 AM. He and his bike were out front, at the ready. On the way to the clinic site we made one more stop to pick up Joe also on an XJ650). The four of us rolled in to Mike's place (OK, workplace) and the work was already underway on his '81 XS11 Special.

There was a fine assortment of bikes. (Apologies for not remembering all the riders' names)

All were Yamaha except Tim's VFR (not pictured) and a gorgeous KZ1100 full dress touring bike.

We started by getting the big XS up on the shop lift. It's pretty easy when you have 5-6 guys to roll it up the ramp on to the lift...

Mike had already removed the carbs and disassembled them. Kudos to Peter who got to work cleaning the carbs & jets, then reassembling them. He worked until everything was done, long after the rest of us were digging into the barbecued burgers.

While Peter was busy with the carbs, Joe got to work installing a new relay for the headlight.

Once the carbs were complete, it was time to reinstall, then synch-colortune-synch". Mike's new "tuning stand" made it easy to provide fuel and to hang the carb sticks.

Peter and Mike got the carbs working beatifully and the old XS purred.

Throughout the day the newer members witnessed the tricks and techniques of XS/XJ tuning. One guy said, "Once you see it done, it doesn't look so hard!"

All in all, it was a great get-together. We're looking forward to the next Bay Area Carb Clinic which will be held by Peter in July.

See you then!
    Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Bay Area riders?

Hi Bill,

If you don't mind company, post or PM me next time you guys are going to get together. Always like to learn something new.

mro

btw
    I have a shop in Hayward which I wouldn't mind hosting a tech session. (not as clean as the other Mike's place but I guess I could at least sweep the floor)

Comment

Re: Bay Area riders?

mro wrote:
      If you don't mind company, post or PM me next time... I wouldn't mind hosting a tech session. (not as clean as the other Mike's place but I guess I could at least sweep the floor)
      Peter's planning something in July, but the date isn't set. It's not always as technical as this was, but it's sure to be a fun get-together.

Your best bet would be to contact me near the end of June to see what's up. Or you could join the XJ Owners list on at micapeak.com

It's a lot like this group, but without a web site. Just an e-mail list.

XSively,
      Bill K.
      1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
      1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

to bad there aint something in the ohio area like that i am kindof afraid to mess with my carbs
        79 yamaha xs1100f standard
        best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Carbo-fear???

Hey bandet01

there's so much here about the XS carb's that just about anyone can get what ever needs done done, and should you get stuck ya got enough guys here that seem to be able to diagnos problems over the net to solve about any problem.

Go fer it!!!

mro

Comment

yeah true i might as well just order the pipes and the coils and the jets and go for it and if i run into any problem just ask on here and get the answer and go back to work but if i do all that i might as well put a new clutch in it too
            79 yamaha xs1100f standard
            best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Working...
            X