Extended range....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extended range....

In the past I had always had to start looking for a gas station at around 110 miles and went to reserve at about 115 mi. While trying to squeeze the whole $10.00 in my tank I found that I can put another half gallon more than I had before. I had always stopped filling when it reached the bottom of the filler neck. I have found that by going very slowly I can put at least another half gallon in there. Now I go to reserve at 135 mi. I wonder how many have discovered this?
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Topping off...

With the smaller Special gas tank, filling completely is essential if one is on the road. If I'm going to be riding any distance I will fill the tank nearly to the brim. Easy to do on a Special as there is no filler neck. If I'm going to be parking the bike soon, especially in the sun, I leave some air space for the gas to expand as it warms up otherwise gas will overflow from the gas cap vent. On the XS650 Special it is even more critical since the reserve is only 15 miles, definitely not adequate in a rural area such as the one I live in.
    Shiny side up,
    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Have only gone to reserve once. 138 miles and the tank only took 3.8 gal...

Have noticed that filling up past the neck that it does not leak out, but normally fill gust to bottom of it.

My milage ranges from about 33-36 around town and 40+ on the highway. Supposed to have a 5.2 gal. tank on my G but have yet to see just how far I can go before I have to push it. Not something I want to do.

mro

Comment

Can you put more gas in a special when it's on the sidestand or the centerstand? I've only used the centerstand.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Kelly
          Can you put more gas in a special when it's on the sidestand or the centerstand? I've only used the centerstand.
          Yep, at least a few ounces, not much more.
          Shiny side up,
          650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
          XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Re: Extended range....

Originally posted by planedick
            I found that I can put another half gallon more than I had before. I had always stopped filling when it reached the bottom of the filler neck. I have found that by going very slowly I can put at least another half gallon in there.
            Don't do this if you are going to park your bike, especially in the sun... the gas will expand and you will have a mess on your tank!! DAHIK, I just do!!
            Brian
            1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
            1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
            remembering the same thing!

Comment

$10.00!!!! I filled my special from bone dry yesterday and it took almost $12.00. And, they refine the stuff right down the road!

Mike Giroir
              79 XS-1100 Special

Once you un-can a can of worms, the only way to re-can them is with a bigger can.

Comment

never rode my bike tell it runs out but the first weekend when i got the bike my bro had to go take his motorcycle test and he has a 83 920 virago and i have a 79 xs1100 we both filled up before we left town and he had to go to reserve before me so we had to start to find a gas station for him and i filled up at the same time as him and we both did gas milage checks and i was getting 31 miles to the gallon and he was getting 29 and his tank is alot smaller. so in reality i should be able to go to 150 on a full tank and reserve but i would have to find gas very soon after 150
                79 yamaha xs1100f standard
                best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

TJhe dealer told me not to fill up that extra little bit because it'll dump over into the air box. I have stopped doing that. I ride under a new rule of thumb: I stop every hour or one hundred miles, whichever comes first.

Ralph

Comment

prolly a good idea to help maintain sanity as well as preventing fuel dumpage.
                    Kristoffer
                    "Take apart yer carbs!"
                    1978 XS1100E - "The Maroon Baboon" (SOLD)
                    1979 XS1100 (3 of them) in the garage. Not deserving of names yet.

Comment

Just started thinking... ( I know.. it's a new thing for me) I don't honestly think I have ever gotten off of my bike to fuel it?? Usually shake a bit back and forth a little with my legs while fueling to get in a little more. Maybe I'm just lazy??

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig

Just started thinking... ( I know.. it's a new thing for me) I don't honestly think I have ever gotten off of my bike to fuel it?? Usually shake a bit back and forth a little with my legs while fueling to get in a little more. Maybe I'm just lazy??

Tod

you're tall enough, on my tip toes i can't slosh it around lest i have it fall over...
                        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                        History
                        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                        79 yamaha xs1100f
                        03 honda cbr 600 f4
                        91 yamaha fzr 600
                        84 yamaha fj 1100
                        82 yamaha seca 750
                        87 yamaha fazer
                        86 yamaha maxim x
                        82 yamaha vision
                        78 yamaha rd 400