Motorcycle Lifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle Lifts

Anybody have any experiences purchasing/using any hydraulic lifts? I am talking about the ones that are scissor operated and can raise the MC 30+" in the air. I am now to the point of buying one. Looks to me like they are a real backsaver. My problem is looking at the ones on ebay you can spend anywhere from $200 to $800 for one. Any thoughts? Anyone own one and would recommend? thx
    DEW
    One Red "Creation 1"
    One Black"Creation 2"
    One Black"Creation 3"
    One ???? "Creation 4"
    One ???? "Creation 5"
    One ???? "Parts Bike"
    All the above 1100 Specials
    78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
    1980 Midnight Special
    1978 650 SE

Wife bought me one for my birthday this year, it has been a real saver for me. A few things I have noticed though with it is you have to block the frame with a 4x4 block on either side because the bottom of the oil pan / filter housing is lower then the frame. it's more a two man opperation to lift and lower...I can do it by myself, but it's a pain. Other then that...it has been a life saver for xs, as well as the other ride

Here's the link

OTC 1545
    80' Xs eleven special "The Tank"

Comment

i built my own table lift for less than 200.00
      it lifts a full dress xs11, to a height of 32 inches
      and uses your floor jack to power it

i built it from a bunch of pictures on this site

www.afabonline.com

he sells the plans for 40 dollars
      http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
      78E main ride, since birth the "good"
      78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
      78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
      79F Parts
      80G Parts
      75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

I don't know if you have Sam's Clubs there (Wholesale Walmart... kinda like Costco) but they had a nice bike jack for 70 bucks if you or someone you know is a member. <<<< Yeah Beavis, I said member

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

The grey scissor type. Like the ones that O.C.C. uses. with the small ramp, the vise for holding the front wheel and is air operated, is a wise investment. They should be able to accomodate just about any bike you want to throw on it. Looked like you have plenty of room in your shop. If you can pick one up new for $800.00, I would. They are normally around $1200.00 - $1400.00. Make sure you get the ramp with it. I think it's an option but I know that if you don't, you'll wish you had.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

SWMBO bought me one of those hydraulic MC/ATV lifts at Kragen Auto Parts, think she paid around $85-$90 on sale. Been a real help when working on the bikes, especially with a rolling stool (another gift from the missus).

My friend Jim has a really complete shop with a table lift powered by his compressor but he's a real mechanic though a hobbyist these days. He has so many tools it's hard for him to fit the bikes in the garage.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

&quot;Lift sure comes in HANDY&quot; &quot;An uplifting experience&quot;

Company called HANDY makes lifts. (yes, like the ones used on american chopper and all those damned chopper cook-off shows. And while I'm at it, I'm getting a little tired of having nothing else to watch other than crab fishing in the Bering Strait, too.)
              Checked on ebay, there was another company sellin' them, same style, etc. I can imagine that they'd be ok. I can hardly think that there'd be only one company in the country that makes them.
              Compressed air raises and lowers it rather quickly, but you have to walk, or reach over, to the other end with you foot to kick out the "table lock", which holds it at the height you want and prevents it from collapsing if the air piston fails.
              Electric one drives a long screw (threaded rod), that cranks it up to the height that you want. Takes a little longer, but doesn't need that lock and you don't have to fire up the compressor every time you want to do something.
              Basic model should come with the ramp. You really should get the tire vise, which locks in the tire and holds the bike upright, unless you really feel like having to strap the bike down every time you use it.
              Tables with the removable rear section are great when wanting to remove the rear wheel. You still need to have a jack under the bike to hold it, but you don't have to jack the bike higher to get the tire out past the fender.
              Another option is getting the wings fer it. These are two table length panels that go on along side the lift. about 10 inches wide each. Great for doing quads and such, makes the lift wider. some people hate them, but I keep them on all the time... nice to have the extra working area to hold tools and such.
              Think the Handy lift was about $500. The tire vise was about $70 or so.
              Got my set-up fer $200. Here's the deal... Check out the local junior colleges, and such. Find the class that does the motorcycle and small engine repair. Students usually are Worker's Comp. retrainees, disabled veterans getting job retraining, and assorted riff-raff and shiftless losers. (I can say that as I spent two years there and you can see what it did fer me).
              Anyway... most of these programs give these clowns these lifts fer free. They have no intention of every using them, ever working in the field, or ever working again at all. Talk to the students or the instructor... ask if they know anyone willing to sell.[IMG][/IMG]Air lift jack... arrow points to the lift lock bar. (What a cheap school it was. If you wanted to work on something, you had to supply it yourself! I bought and assembled this basket case... Hhmmm, and it looks like one of my XS850's against the wall behind it.) Ahh, school days... readin', writin, wrenchin' and retchin'
              "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The ones on eBay are made in China and are of unknown quality. I've been trying to track one down locally (Portland, Oregon) but have been unable as far.

Last I checked there are 2 sellers both in San Deigo, CA are selling them on eBay. I exchanged eMails with both of them last year but if I could be more convinced of what I was getting, I probably would have bought one by now. Maybe some of the XS11 club members in San Deigo could go over and inspect one of these (it would be best with an XS11 on it...)

I used the gray Handy lifts when working in bike shops over the years. The air powered ones are far better than the electric units. The motors on the electric units would crap out at the worst possible times.

There's no way to turn wrenches on bikes full time and not have a lift. Well mayby but it would really suck...

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

.. i have a cheap @ss lift that i bought from ebay from a company in california. originally it's a great lift for little bikes but i had to modify it to hold the big ones. the advertisment in the auction stated it would lift a big bike just fine, but didnt mention that the small table jack was needed for this.. should have saved my money and bought the handy lift for a couple hundred more, I got what I paid for but it's still way better than working on the floor

Comment

If I'm not mistaken, the lifts you see on American Choppers are Snap-On. I have no idea of the cost, but that name alone will increase the cost by 33%.

Comment

Hey Pro, I was looking at the "Handy" brand of lift on the internet. They are made in Marshalltown, Ia. which is only a stones throw from here. They have a special (no pun intended) on this unit with a free vise for $600. It is a Power Lift-1/2 ton. www.handyindustries.com I also am looking at a unit, on ebay, from California for $300 plus shipping. It might be a little cheezy as Gen said. I am going to call "Handy" tomorrow and see what they have to say.
                      DEW
                      One Red "Creation 1"
                      One Black"Creation 2"
                      One Black"Creation 3"
                      One ???? "Creation 4"
                      One ???? "Creation 5"
                      One ???? "Parts Bike"
                      All the above 1100 Specials
                      78 Standard (Ruf Ruf)
                      1980 Midnight Special
                      1978 650 SE

Comment

John, Snap-On lifts.... or just Snap-On stickers? But then again, those weasles have had their whole shop outfitted for free due to the advertising profits.
                        Geezer, the first shop I worked in had two electric lifts, and they were pretty old. No probs. For a guy that just wants the convenience of a lift in his home garage and will use it only a coupl'a times a year(don't let your wife read that, though), should be no prob.
                        Dewibp, I would stick with the Handy, as most of the shops have them, and it'd be easier to sell when the time comes. I don't know what shipping costs, but these things are HEAVY! Cheesy may be fine for the neighbor kids dirtbike, but not an XS, or a Goldwing, nor anything heavy or of value. Harleys... I would put on a cheesy lift.
                        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I'm turning wrenches out of my home garage more than ever and if I keep this up, I will have to get a lift.

I was hoping that Harbor Freight would take up selling these then I could at least look one over to see what mods I could do to bring one up to snuff.

Used Handy lifts are hard to come buy and I don't have the means to construct one right now. I guess I'll continue working on the floor until I figure out what I'm going to do.

Geezer

Comment

I guess I spoke too soon, Habor freight now carrys motorcycle lifts. I'm going to ride over to their local store tomorrow and see if they have one and how much it's going to cost.

I'll post back once I have something more to say about it.

Geezer

Comment

I have one of the Harbor Freight lifts. I am not a professional mech, so I don't use it every day. Mine cost around $80 and I can lift the whole bike for an oil change, wheel removal or even just to polish the rims easy. It was a great investment.
                              Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                              78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                              02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Working...
                              X