Helmet opinions please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Helmet opinions please.

This isn't a request for critisism from helmet Nazis. I rarely wear one except when on long trips and or out of state. As roadways become even more conjested and far more drivers are too busy talking, applying makeup etc. to pay attention to the road, I think I want to wear one more often. I have a budget model that sucks. I'd like one that won't have a tendency to lift up at speed. Also would like as much comfort as possible. I saw an Icon online for 200.00. It claims to have advanced ventilation, and rubberised paint etc. Also it comes in one logical color instead of the usual bedlam design. Can you guess my age group? LOL. Thanks for any opinions. Let those who ride decide.

Not a bad looking skid lid. Snell and DOT approval is good. Price not bad either. They don't give a weight, might be an issue. You wont know how the vent system works till you try it. Alot of the time, vent systems don't work as well as you might expect. A helmet can have alot of vents, but if they are covered inside by the lining, ain't gonna be much good. Buying online won't give you chance to "test" drive a new helmet. Might want to see what there return policy is if you find you don't like it. I know Cycle Gear has a 30 day "buy and try" policy on helmets. Helmets are likes bikes, lotsa diffent kinds, one that works for one person may not work for another. Tough to chose one without trying it first.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

HJC is a very well constructed and comfortable helmet, not so expensive either, should be able to find one in a single color for in the Buck to Buck 50 range.

Mines a HJC CL 14 Kast.

HJC Helmets.com

Bauer
      1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
      Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
      1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
      Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

check out the dennis kirk outlet store. It has the best I have seen
        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

If I were you I would look locally at local motorcycle shops, Ive ordered 2 helmets from Dennis Kirk, both had faults and had to be returned AT MY COST.

I found mine at a local honda shop for less than DK wanted and that way no shipping was involved.
          Bauer
          1980 XS 1100 SG (The 3rd Degree) - The Cafe' Racer
          Image Photos @ http://photobucket.com/albums/f230/BauersXS11/
          1980 XS1100 G (The Trouble Maker)
          Fully stock and still goin at 65k miles

Comment

I buy locally. Most helmets of the correct size aren't comfortable. It's also the shape of the inside of the helmet.
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

I use a Z1R helmet. It has the vents, fits my head, and isn't heavy. It is NOT snell approved, but is DOT. I did some online research before trying it on. I do have an HJC and a Shoei, but I like the Z1R best.
              Price was about $100 for a full face. I only use full face helmets, the only helmet worth buying, IMHO.
              Ray
              Ray Matteis
              KE6NHG
              XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
              XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I agree, unless you know what size and type helmet you need, try some on at a local dealer. Proper fit and comfort are crtical. Then if the dealer price a is way too high, buy the exact same one online. A lot of dealers sell there old models on ebay now. I wear a Shoei XL and I buy my helmets on eBay (only new in the box from dealers) for about half waht they normally charge.

Don't even concider it if not DOT and Snell aproved. Stay away from vintage helmets, 5 years is what most manufacturers say to replace helmets.

Check out the internet for or most major helmet sites for a proper fitting guide, then try some on.

Good Luck!
                Gary Granger
                Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

http://www.helmetcity.com/index.php

try this free shipping and returns
                  "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
                  History
                  85 Yamaha FJ 1100
                  79 yamaha xs1100f
                  03 honda cbr 600 f4
                  91 yamaha fzr 600
                  84 yamaha fj 1100
                  82 yamaha seca 750
                  87 yamaha fazer
                  86 yamaha maxim x
                  82 yamaha vision
                  78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I bought an Icon Alliance from a local dealership. I got alot of info from the salesman too. It was a bit more money than online but I took your logical advice to try helmets for the best fit. On my own I would have gotten 1 size too large. I wasn't aware of how tightly they should fit.

Comment

Just in a general way...I buy what fits my head and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Walmart is now carrying some Bell helmets, shorty (in black and chrome) and full coverage in black. SWMBO and I tried some on, they fit our heads so we'll probably buy there when we replace ours. Price is right, $45-$80. DOT cert. Check this out... http://motorcyclistonline.com/gearbo...helmet_review/
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

This is a link to an MCN article discussing several Helmets. My Shoei x11 isn't reviewed, but I like it a lot. SWMBO has a Nolan flip face, whcih she likes. I will admit the flip face thing is nice.

The Roll-Off test is key, how to do it is explained in the article.

I always wear a helmet. Working in EMS here in HD town, you only need a couple of helmetless accidents to see the light.
                        I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

more helmet info

Here's a website that covers a ton of different helmets. Check it out. Click on the HS# all the way to the right of each model to see the entire report on that model. Hope the link works...

helmet test reports

-Erik
                          -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                          '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                          ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

No real biker has just one helmet
                            Ya gota have a regular lid for just every day protection
                            plus ya should show just a little individualism so I have my regular helmet for putting/cruseing

Then there’s the times you might just want to get Xsive and RP&P & P (rape, pillage and plunder & Party) so I wear an appropriate lid for that

Last, every now and then the world just goes to the dogs, I be prepared

mro

Comment

I've always been happy with Bell helmets but then again they're the only ones that make a bucket to fit me. bell helmets have gotten a bit hard to find these days and I've even had a couple misinformed (or stupid) sales clerks at bike shops say they're no longer made. Anyway it's worth the effort to seek out and try on a Bell...

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X