Frame Woes!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Woes!!

Project has reared ugly head! Tree off, tank off, etc..... Looking at IGN. coil area, something just didn't seem right?? Black elec. tape around lower support tube, the ones that make-up the tri-angle behind steering head to back bone tubes. Removed tape to find crappy welds!! Looked closer, tubes show stress/bend towards rear. Welds around st. head seem OK, and appear to be factory.
    Did not ride much after purchase, went to the garrage for TLC. So not sure how it tracks/rides? My question is for any Engineer gurus out there, what ref. points can I check for steering head angle, down tubes, etc. to be sure straight? May try to save, if not may be in the market for '80 mid. sp. frame!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We'll see? Thanks for any coments and suggestions, have to head to work now( wonder what I'll be thinking about ALL NIGHT!)
    "Elvira"
    '80 XS1100LG

Well guys, Looks like I got burnt! Have contacted p.o., says he was unaware of frame prob. States he had it over 100 mph, 200 ml. + trips etc., with no prob. After several heated e-mails, initial shock(i.e. P***** O**) I believe I have gone deeper into this bike than he did. Sent him pics with no response, previeous message was something to the effect of SOLD AS IS!!!
    I don't know about you guys, but if I sold something and unaware of a problem of this magnatude, I would try to make it right! After studing/ pondering prob. ( I couldn't look at it for two days!) with location and quality of repair, have decided to go from ground-up project!! Looks like not much ridn' this year. Between home projects, roof and etc. really bumed about this.
    Oh well, I guess I will get to know every nut & bolt on this bike personally. Which is the way it should be anyway. If you want to throw your'e leg over a powerfull/quick good handln' bike, try an XS11!!!!

Jim
    "Elvira"
    '80 XS1100LG

Comment

Hi, Jim, sorry to hear about your problem with the frame. I have an UNTITLED 80 MSN frame here. I live in central WI, but make trips to the north side of Chicago about every 6 or so weeks. If this frame would help you, I could bring it to Sis-in-laws house on W. Dempster, if you would pick it up there. Remember, NO TITLE, the previous owner died about 8 years ago, and when I bought it, the title was nowhere to be found, and I think his family has long since moved away. You could PM or email me if you want this frame. As far as I know, it is a good frame. Jerry
      put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
      79 F (Blueballs)
      79 SF (Redbutt)
      81 LH (organ donor)
      79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
      76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
      rover has spoken

Comment

I know it would be illegal and nobody would personally do it, but I was wondering if anyone has ever "Heard" of anyone taking the plate off of one frame and puting it somehow on another? Ever heard of a way to do this to make a "Legal" bike? Not like anyone will ever check the numbers way under there anyway.

Tod
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

really bumed about this

That sucks

Flat out dangerous ride dude
          Bike weighs in almost 600 pounds, and sounds like it was not welded by a pro. Tubing welds even when they look great, if not done at the right heat range can be weak.

mro

Comment

Thanks for the offer Jerry. Have located another frame, also without title. Checking into lost title red-tape for the state of IL. If it dosen't (the frame) check out OK, will keep your's in mind.

Jim
            "Elvira"
            '80 XS1100LG

Comment

http://www.its-titles.com/

I have never used them. I have a frame from an 80 SG that I was considering trying to get retitled though. Maybe worth a look.
              80 XS1100SG
              81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

trbig, the numbers are stamped into the neck that holds the front fork, if it were only the plate, that would be easy. I have heard of altering the numbers, but with the tests that can be used, the stamped number can be made to show, even if it were ground off. The numbers are stamped in deep enough that if all traces were removed, the neck would be much to thin to be used. In my entire long life, I have NEVER had a frame checked by the authorities, but not saying they would never check. That is a risk that you would take.
                put something smooooth betwen your legs, XS eleven
                79 F (Blueballs)
                79 SF (Redbutt)
                81 LH (organ donor)
                79 XS 650S (gone to MC heaven)
                76 CB 750 (gone to MC heaven)
                rover has spoken

Comment

On my new frame I just welded over the original vin, ground it down, and restamped my serial number in. Here in Texas, they aren't real sticklers on checking 26 year old Japanese bikes for matching numbers. If they ask, I'll just say I had a wreck, (which is true) and replaced the steering head. I usually use the same place for inspections for all of our vehicles for a few years now, and they never look for the VIN.

Comment

Or you can get another frame cut off the steering head and replace it with the one you have a title for. A Professsioal welder should be able to fix it for not a lot of money and you would have a legal frame.

Marc

Comment

Hmmm... OK.

Is there another place that it is stamped besdies this paper tag looking thing on the column? Is it actually stamped THROUGH the paper to the steel underneath? This just looks typed is all... not stamped. This tag is all I have ever seen on mine, so .......sorry.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

If you look on the triangular peice on back of the headstock you will see the VIN welded onto it. Opposite side of the head from the VIN plate. As far as I know, the VIN plate is just a sticker.
                        80 XS1100SG
                        81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

The vin is stamped on the right side of the steering head. Turn the handlebars to the full left, and you will see it on the steering head. There, and on the engine is the only place that I know of that has the vin.

Comment

Working...
                          X