I need info???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need info???

I just got a 82 XJ1100 that needs help,so this is my first time here,but I'll be here alot as I proceed.
    My first project is to paint the fairing, saddlebags and luggage carrier,using black spray can paint,could someone tell me step by step, the procedure to get this done, and do I need to do any prep work before rechroming,some of the metal has some rust where it got scrached.and where can I find a list of cleaners and waxes that works the best on M.C. parts.
    Thanks to anyone that could help me out.
    P.S. any one in the San Diego that could help me out with repairs?

For painting, the prep work is what you need to pay attention to. If the base isn't smooth, the paint won't be smooth.
    I would wet sand everything with 300 grit paper to begin with, and then go to 500grit. Use a good paint, and then use a clear coat over the black. If you wet sand with 800 to 1000 grit between coats, the paint should look 1" deep.
    You can look at the "Tech Tips" on the left side of the page. They will help you with LOT of questions you may have. You can also do a "search" for threads that probably will answer most of your questions.
    Welcome to the world of Xsives, and hang on, as the ride can be fast.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

As for the rechroming.... ask the chromers... Some like the material clean, smooth and polished, some do it for you...
      If they can do it for you, go for it. They arent usually that expencive.

LP
      If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
      (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

I have found Dupli-color spray paint to be easy to work with and lays a good finish. Lotsa colors to choose from. You hafta use there clear coat to get a good gloss, but there clear coat is gas proof after it dries. "Available at most automotive retailers"
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

"Say it, don't spray it!"

I have two cans of dupli-color here at the shop. One clear coat, and one engine enamel clear coat. (both mentioned here as being what I was looking for) I can assure you that neither of them are gas-proof. As for gas resistant... I wasn't impressed, either.
          Several phone calls later... was informed that anything coming from a gan really can't be gas proof due to the solvent mixed with it in order for it to atomize and come out of the nozzle.
          If someone can correct me, please do, as I'd love to find a gas proof clear in a spray can..
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Pro...If it cures for a week or so it should be gas proof or very highly gas resistant. Don't let gas just sit on it though. Todays gas has a lot of alcohol in it, getting closer to being hot fuel. Most well-cured rattlecan paint can hold up pretty well even so.
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
            XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I don't know how you run your life, Mike, but I don't have time to sit around and watch paint dry.
              HHmmm.. I was gonna add another smart a$$ comment.. but then 'membered... I painted an XS850 in Aug, had it in the shop in Dec, and got a little gas on the tank. Couldn't get it off quick enough. All of my quick paint jobs have been Dupli-color rattle can, and have had to always be careful when fueling. I shall experiment further, I 'spose.

Comment

Prom,

The Duplicolor high heat clear #1636 is gas proof after it dries (7 days). A few coats of good wax helps too.

Comment

"Clearly, I'm confused"

I looked months ago for High heat clear... but could just find .. Cant' recall exactly,, but was high heat engine clear, or something. Shall check the # on the can and then see if I can find any #1636 and toy with that fer a while.
                  Thanks, Randy

Comment

Last bike tank I painted with a rattle can I used good old Rustoleum. Slow curing stuff. Mounted tank on bike after 2 weeks. Impervious to fuel as far as I could tell. This was 20 years ago so maybe the formulations have changed. I also painted a tank with some hi-viz yellow pre-catalyzed urethane from the paint factory I worked at, we had some rattlecans made up for customers to use for touch up. That stuff was impervious to anything, straight MEK didn't touch it.
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                    X