DIY Bike Workbench

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Bike Workbench

I thought this is a great idea... and works well with my inner tightwad...

http://www.bbcracing.com/old/box/

From this website:

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194592
    When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

lmao ... "inner tightwad" that's the funniest thing I heard all day. With my luck that **** would fall apart with me AND my bike on it. Looks cool though - I might have to go find my Tim Taylor hat ....
    ~Jay
    Guilty Ones M.C.
    Manassas, Va.

1980 Standard G
    2001 CBR 929RR

Comment

Not me!

I am not riding 900 lbs of bike and rider up on that. Those little sport bikes dont even weigh 400 lbs.

John
      John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
      '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
      Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

It's a great idea, but not a great design. I agree with John regarding the weight, but I feel like any half decent woodworker/ carpenter could come up with a design that would safely hold more weight, and still be easily pulled apart and stored in a few minutes.
        The two jobs that I most want a stand for is changing tires, and doing transmission repairs. This stand doesn't really help with either.
        Pat K

80 XS11 "Special" Standard
        (80G chassis & engine w/ 79 SG lights and cluster)

79 XS650 (engine currently squeals like a stuck pig.)

72 Plymouth Satellite (met an unpaved manhole collar, which it managed to tear out of the street, currently has some "issues")

04 Current Designs Solstice GT XL Kayak (I like it because it doesn't have carbs, or any other moving parts)

Comment

Originally posted by jwhughes3 View Post
          I am not riding 900 lbs of bike and rider up on that. Those little sport bikes dont even weigh 400 lbs.

John
          Oh Ye of little faith. Look at the design again. 3/4" or 19mm ply on its edge will support weight in the tons range, not just pounds. If you read the story with it you'll see that his beemer setup is in excess of 800lbs. Those of you that had a waterbed back in the day will know very well what held all that water off the ground. Same principle.

That thing is plenty strong enough to support an XS11 and rider, the only thing that would worry me is the top. There doesnt seem to be too much holding it there and it could easily slip while loading. I think i'd be adding a little more to hold it on, but apart from that I'd have no problem putting my bike on it.
          1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
          2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

Originally posted by b.walker5 View Post
            That thing is plenty strong enough to support an XS11 and rider, the only thing that would worry me is the top. There doesnt seem to be too much holding it there and it could easily slip while loading. I think i'd be adding a little more to hold it on, but apart from that I'd have no problem putting my bike on it.
            Even the store-bought lifts need tie-downs to keep things from falling over. Then it seems that these tie straps are going to get in the way while you try to work. One of the pictures of this lift shows a hook in the rafters above the work table - that's a great idea. You could hook safety lines to the frame. It would not need to support the whole weight - just enough to keep it from falling over.
            When the horse is dead, dismount.

Bagapotomus - '80G Attempted Rescue, '78 Engine, Vetter Bags and Trunk.

Comment

I know this is an old thread. Good idea, just need to know your primary surface is level.

On the other hand. Looking to build a good solid bench? Easily assembled within welding. Can reconfigure as needs arise. Are you okay with a plywood top?

Look at 80/20 Inc or the other iterations of the adult version
              of an erector set.
              '82 XJ11
              '02 Triumph Trophy
              '97 Buell S1 Lightning
              '92 Buell RS1200 (WestWind)
              '82 KZ750R1 (GPz)

Comment

Working...
              X