Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you all feel about modular helmets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you all feel about modular helmets?

I found this Helmet that is modular, I've never really worn a modular helmet not necessarily due to its Non-Safety issues but more because of the extra Noise whistle that is heard while wearing it. How do you all feel about them? The Helmet i Found is a Hawk H-6607 Glossy Black Dual-Visor Modular Motorcycle Helmet with Bluetooth. The biggest reason I am looking at this as being my next helmet is because it has Bluetooth already installed, and costs no more...The helmet is only $190 and i'm pretty sure this is my next helmet. You can find it if you click on the picture.

Daily Driver - '04 Suzuki Marauder 1600
    Project Bike - '79 XS1100 Special

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

"MESS WITH THE BEST DIE LIKE THE REST" -Semper Fidelis!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

I love modular helmets - wouldn't go back, its so nice to be able to flip it up and talk, or take a drink, or whatever.

On the down side I've never heard of "hawk", it may be an ok helmet (it has to pass the same standards as every other helmet right?) but the problem I've had in the past with off brand helmets is that you can never get parts. Like shields if the get scratched or foggy.
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

helmet

I wear the hawk duel visor gloss black modular,and also have a visored half helmet . My hawk is the favorite, plug the I-pod in (born to be wild da da da) go down the road just fine. Seems to be a fairly well made helmet as helmets go, price and features got me.

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Duke View Post
        I wear the hawk duel visor gloss black modular,and also have a visored half helmet . My hawk is the favorite, plug the I-pod in (born to be wild da da da) go down the road just fine. Seems to be a fairly well made helmet as helmets go, price and features got me.
        How is the air flow in the helmet? does it get Hot when warm out? does it get cold when its cold out? or does it stay cool in the heat and keep you warmer when its colder...??

Hi my name is Nate and I'm am Addict...I quit riding every night before bed and can't help but start riding again the next morning...

Ride Till You Die!

“Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.”

"When in doubt, Gas it!. If it doesnt fix the problem, at least it will end the suspense!"

Comment

helmet

Close the vents on colder days, with bacavera its nice n toasty, open vents on hotter days works well with the shampra liner out on open road gets a little warm just tooling around town, but not bad. Bout normal for any FF helmet.

Comment

I have mixed opinions about modulars. Because I don't wear glasses, I don't have to deal with the struggle of that mess, so I stick to full face for the strength factor. The fact that the largest percentage of impacts hit the chin area makes me question the structural strength of the chin bar on a modular helmet. Since NONE of the regulatory tests do anything with the chin area, there's no real way to find out without actually crashing one.

If I had to wear glasses though, I might be persuaded to try a modular if I found one that seemed sturdy enough. I have to admit that the price on the Hawk with the inner visor and the bluetooth makes for a good deal.
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

Close the vents on colder days, with bacavera its nice n toasty, open vents on hotter days works well with the shampra liner out on open road gets a little warm just tooling around town, but not bad. Bout normal for any FF helmet.
              And is the front face/chin guard removable?

Ride Till You Die!

Comment

helmet

Only way it moves is to swing up after tapping the release, solid as a full face locked down,only way your chin is touched/hurt is from an up-ward movement from the chest area(same as with a FF)

Comment

Only way it moves is to swing up after tapping the release, solid as a full face locked down,only way your chin is touched/hurt is from an up-ward movement from the chest area(same as with a FF)
                  That's only if you trust the latch mechanism and the hinges. Some of them seem a bit weak to me, and a side impact could remove the chin piece from the helmet.
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                  -H. Ford

Comment

CB, modular has to be better than not. At least some protection is there.

As for noisy do your research in reviews. I dont think it has anything to do with being modular. They also make some chin thingy to cut down on noise. I suppose you could wear earplugs like recommended no matter how quiet the helmet.

I would never wear fullface on the street, to inconvienent.
                    Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas.

1980 XS1100G 1179 kit, Tkat brace, progressive springs & shocks, jardine spaghetti, Mikes coils, Geezer's rectifier

Comment

I wear glasses and I wear a solid, full-face helmet.
                      As previously mentioned, the waek point would be the 2 little pins used as a hinge and the (I assume) plastic latching mechanism.
                      The solution is to not use any helmet for it's intended purpose.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

As some one who has had the joy of testing the strength of the chin guard of a modular helmet. (a crash at roughly 40kph hit the road, not any vehicles) I can tell you that the the chin guard is sturdy, and for the speed I crashed at sustained no more than a few scratches. I have a Zox (middle ranged price for the modular helmets $149)

Comment

The only thing I see on the Hawk that would make me think, is the latch release looks as if it's in the front,the red triangle,which in turn,could(if crashed)unlock the face shield on impact. Usually the lock is under the chin bar so that can' happen.Looks to be a good deal though.
                          FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                          1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                          1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

My own two cents, just from an ALSE (Aviation Life Support Equipment) standpoint, A helmet only has to work once. Realistically, if you go all squishy with a helmet, its service life is over. Just from my own experiences and reports I have seen, I am not worried about the safety of a modular in a crash. I use a modular Nolan for cold weather, and my only complaint is looks wise( It makes my head look 8x bigger.)
                            Joab

"If nothing else, it will be interesting..."
                            Ozark, Alabama

Comment

solid as a full face locked down,only way your chin is touched/hurt is from an up-ward movement from the chest area(same as with a FF)
                              .......and has been proven to be true in 95+% percent of documented cases. Natural reaction is to duck chin downward. What CBug stated was also my concern, but has proven to be just another urban-myth. Pros and cons of both exist, even 3/4 coverage as opposed to full face. Any DIRECT impact of any helmet above 30-40mph is just gonna keep that bowling ball enclosed in one piece at best. The grey matter inside then becomes the issue, at which point the helmet of choice would become the last concern. Wearing glasses and now knowing the latch quality does what it's supposed to is leaning me more towards that direction even though I already have 6 different helmets for two people.
                              81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Working...
                              X