Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

XS1100 Special to XJ1100 Maxim fork swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XS1100 Special to XJ1100 Maxim fork swap?

I was wondering, is it possible to swap either way the forks of the XS1100 Special and the ones from a XJ1100 Maxim? I know the seals are slightly different as well as the lower sliders, and the tubes on the Maxims have the crossover air bleed holes, where the Specials do not. But are the diameters of the top tubes close enough to fit into both triple trees? And also, could the tubes interchange with the other bikes sliders?

Max

They should both be 37mm inner tubes. Are you wanting to put the inner tubes from a Special into the lowers of an XJ? Or just swap the whole fork?

With the whole fork you may have to take the wheel and brakes as well.

If just the inner tubes, watch the length of the tubes as some are shorter but they are the same dia. which will lower the front about 2.5". Also the bolt at the bottom of the fork leg that screws into the dampner may be different sizes. And lastly, the diameter of the dampners may be close but may not fit (out by a mm) through the restricted part at the bottom of the inner fork tube.

So to sum it up I am not sure this has just been my experience, but then again I am not sure which year or model XS forks I have.

Good luck!

Comment

I THINK, not 100% sure though, that the XJ and the XS specials have the same forks and triple tree setup. You can't mix and match special and standard forks and triple trees but I don't think it matters between the specials and XJ. I know the wheel is the same size and the rotors and calipers are the same though.

If a mod sees this, should move it over to the tech forum.
      Nathan
      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
      K&N Filter
      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
      OEM Exhaust
      ATK Fork Brace
      LED Dash lights
      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
      SS Brake Lines
      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Never really owned an XJ, but I do know the brackets for the headlights are a different angle. This would lead me to think the rake is different, which would mean different triples and or forks.

Again, all I know for sure is the headlight brackets, but alot of the frame and front stuff on the XJ is different.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

xs to xj fork swap

Thanks for the feedback, guys. The triple trees are a little different as well as the mounting for the instrument cluster.

I'm going to investigate myself by tearing apart an XS 1100 special, and post what I discover. I was hoping I could NOT use the air crossover hose on the XJ tubes by using the tubes from a XS Special and lower the front of the bike an inch or so by sliding the tubes up through the triple clamps. Does anyone know a set of appropriate shocks that would lower the rear of the bike an inch?

I was even considering using two sets of headlight "ears" both shortened (hacked)and mounting one upside down under the other as to put two headlights on the bike. Yea, I know, it's a wacky idea. Not sure if the electrical system would be enough to power the set up, though.

Oh, I am not sure how to show my owned units, so, I'll post them here.

three 1980 XS1100 Specials
          two and one third(one is a rolling chassis) 1982 XJ1100 Maxims

I'm thinking of opening up a museum for abused and neglected(hey, I didn't do it!) large Yamaha's. LOL.

Comment

Working...
          X