clear coat with rattle can?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clear coat with rattle can?

just painted tank with rattle can.doesnt look to bad.im debating using clearcoat from rattle can now.will it look like crap,do i have to use electric buffer if i do.ive never cleared anything and lot of people saying wiill probably look bad out of a can????any comments

Keep a couple cans on hand, as well as the main color...if you get fuel on it, it will come right off. AMHIK
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1278/...01bfdb21_b.jpg
    1978 XS11 Standard -- For Sale or Trade
    4 into 1 (brand?)
    Special Tank (really sucks for size)
    Special Side covers
    Winjammer 5 fairing with Vetter Hard cases

1979 XS11 Special (has a new home elsewhere)

1982 Yamaha XV920J Virago - My new daily rider.
    National Cycle Plexi-3
    Saddleman double bucket seat
    custom paint

Comment

If your going to rattle can clear coat it, I'd use the SprayMax 2k. Cost is about $18 a can.
      I used it a while back before I had water filters on my compressor. Tank and Fairings came out real nice.

Product info here: http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1
      Richard

Comment

Hi rpgoerlich,
        Nice paint job. However even I know that is not an XS1100
        From engine case Yamaha with YICS please fill in the blanks
        Phil

Originally posted by rpgoerlich View Post
        If your going to rattle can clear coat it, I'd use the SprayMax 2k. Cost is about $18 a can.
        I used it a while back before I had water filters on my compressor. Tank and Fairings came out real nice.

Product info here: http://www.spraymax.com/index.php?id=361&L=1
        1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
        1983 XJ 650 Maxim
        2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

For rattle can paint to look good, it takes thick coats and alot of wet sanding. I did a couple side covers and a tank for a Special model in rattle can. Wet sanded with 1000, 1500, and 2000 grit paper between color coats. Same for three coats of clear. When I finished it looked pretty dang good.

However, I found I needed to clean the tank after the paint process. It took about three seconds and a bit of acetone and gas to peel off most of my work!! So, that SprayMax stuff sounds AWFUL cheap compared to redoing all that work. Sinc eI have a compressor, I opted to by a spray gun at HF and went to the local Sherwin Williams for some tow part paint and clear. Turned out better and gas resistant.
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

Originally posted by MaximPhil View Post
            Hi rpgoerlich,
            Nice paint job. However even I know that is not an XS1100
            From engine case Yamaha with YICS please fill in the blanks
            Phil
            Hey Phil,
            It's an 82 Yamaha XJ650 Turbo, a winter project I restored a couple years ago. It had 19kmi on it and was used on a deer lease in East Texas. Rode from the camp to deer blind on an asphalt road, then tossed against a tree when they parked it . I give $300 for it. Hardest thing was sourcing all the fairing parts. It ran great, but I was glad to let it go in '08 for $1,650 and promptly picked up a second XS11 .
            Richard

Comment

http://www.kustomrides.com/supplies/...oat-spray.html

2 part clear finish in a custom spray can
              1979 XS1100SF.

"You know what makes me sad... YOU DO, Why dont we run over to mamby pamby land and get you some self confidence you jack wagon" Will go down as one of the great quotes LOL

Comment

definetly use something that is a 2 part mixture to clear coat. just a high gloss won't have the protection you are looking for against gas, as well as other things. it is a gloss and a hardener mixture, the hardener is the important part. you can get gloss anywhere, but look for at least a 2 part mixture, either out of rattle can or a spray gun.
                1980 XS 1100 Special (working to be my daily ride)

Comment

Working...
                X