fork seals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fork seals

79 xs1100 special front fork seals.how much of a b...ch is it to replace them parts only 12.00 bucks.

minimum:
    You'll have to remove the front axle and wheel.
    You'll have to remove the forks from the tripple tree.
    You'll have to remove the old seal and drive in the new one.

You'll probably have to remove the upper fork tube from the lower one in order to get the seal out. That means you'll have to remove the fork cap and spring, which means you'll probably have to remove the handle bars.

If you don't have to search for tools, and you're a somewhat competent shade tree mechanic it'll probably take you most of a good day to do both seals.

If yours are leaking its really something you must do, otherwise your brakes will get soaked with fork oil and then they don't work so good...
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Comment

I did mine last weekend. I got the Leak Proof brand forkseals from a PartsUnlimited dealer in my area. Seals were 22 bucks but they slid right in with no problems and not having to force them. To replace them you just remove your calipers, fender and wheel then just loosen the bolts on the triple tree clamping your tubes and they slide right out. Then just get the inner tube out and replace. Hardest part was prying the original 31 year old seals out of the outer tube.
      '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
      Green Coils
      SS Brake Lines

Comment

Forgot to mention. The whole process took me only 2 hours and this is the first time I tore apart any motorcycle forks.
        '79 XS11 Special

MikeXS Pods
        Green Coils
        SS Brake Lines

Comment

Working...
        X