Fix for warpage of brake rotors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for warpage of brake rotors?

If you search on e bay for xs1100 brake rotors you will find a company from Portland OR that does surface grinding for $49.99. They claim their process corrects warpage. They also drill the rotors with different patterns and amount of holes.
    Another company advertises glazing, which I believe just cleans/polishes them up.
    79 XS1100F.
    SuperTrapp 4-1 w/center stand.
    TC's fuse box.
    SOFA filter.
    Venture cam chain adjuster.
    Tkat fork brace.
    Progressive fork springs.

They might can grind a very small bit of warpage out.But not much .You can only grind the rotors down to a certain thickness.Not sure what that is, but i'm sure yama has a spec for it

Comment

By the spec the rotors cannot be ground down at all as the factory thickness is also the minimum spec. Basically if their worn or warped they are supposed to be thrown away and replaced. That said, EBC does have replacement rotors for these bikes (actually for pretty much the whole XS line which apparently all use the same rotors). I would consider them just for the reduction in unsprung weight, but I don't think they are maintainable either. Of course as many XS's as there are out there may keep them available for a while (650's for sure use the same rotor, and there are LOTS of them out there). The 650's even use the same front caliper as the left front on a standard.
      Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
      Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
      Vetter Windjammer IV
      Vetter hard bags & Trunk
      OEM Luggage Rack
      Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
      Spade Fuse Box
      Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
      750 FD Mod
      TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
      XJ1100 Front Footpegs
      XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

brakes are over rated just put your feet down. or tie a rock to the bike and throw it off when you want to stop. J/K.
        1979 xs1100sf
        custom exhaust
        dragbars
        POD filters
        re-jetted carbs

http://s903.photobucket.com/albums/a...drvs/?newest=1

Comment

That would take a really big rock with these bikes. I think I would rather depend on good brakes.
          Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
          Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
          Vetter Windjammer IV
          Vetter hard bags & Trunk
          OEM Luggage Rack
          Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
          Spade Fuse Box
          Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
          750 FD Mod
          TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
          XJ1100 Front Footpegs
          XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
          X