oil compatibility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil compatibility

The manual says to use 20w 40 for my climate. Castrol offers 20w 50 any one give that a try or should I find the correct viscosity.

IF you do a search on this topic, you will find ALOT of info. Just search on oil or 20W50 and I am sure you will find more threads than you can vie win one day.

I have only been here on this site for 6 months or so, and I can assure you I asked the same kind of question once myself. This is one of those every body ask it questiosn that anyone who has been here more than 3 months get tired of discussing, so do not take anything you get on this subject personally. What type of oil to use and what type of tire is best really boils down to opinion and there are ALOT of differing opinions on those subjects.

What I will say is that 20W50 gets PLENTY of support from folks I respect alot. and non motorcycle oil also gets PLENTY of support from the same folks.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

I use a valvoline 20w50 motorcycle oil. Claims to be good for wet clutches. I don't think that brand makes that big of difference and have also used non motorcycle oil 20w50 with no problems. Most say not to use synthetics as they may make the clutch slip but I am sure there are some that would disagree.
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
      X