Dad passed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dad passed

He was my go to guy, think he just wanted me to keep busy and at something I enjoyed.
    My dad was not a rider but got me started on mini bikes and go karts when I was seven. He helped me buy my first HD a 51 when I was 14, 1 year older than I. He marveled at all the work I did on bikes and encouraged me to do more of them, he liked how I took a turd and turned it into a jewel. When I told him I was selling my last two babies he said you need another to work on, I said I don't know. Then the MNS 11 became available he talked me into it. When it was riding and down to only some miner mods that were future extras he said you need another. That was 2 weeks ago I drove about 700 mi. to look at a number of bikes and found an SH 11. Called and told him last Fri. I bought another and it's nice looking but needs work he said good for you can't wait to see pics of it. He fell Sunday at home and was rushed into ICU and passed Sunday evening.

Done };-(
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.
    80 SG XS1100
    14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Done, it sounds like you and your dad had a good time together.

Help your family remember the good times and my condolences to you all!
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Sorry to hear that, at least you guys were close, that's something a lot of people cant say about their fathers.
        Jeff
        77 XS750 2D completely stock
        79 SF XS1100 "Picky" stock with harley mufflers

Comment

Sad news and yes sounded like a great Dad, my condolence's to you and the family.
          81 H

Comment

I'm so sorry for your loss.
            Sending positives and prayers for comfort and peace for your family and his friends during this time..
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

So sorry for your loss Don! Thoughts and prayers for you and your family!
              Nathan
              KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
              K&N Filter
              #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
              OEM Exhaust
              ATK Fork Brace
              LED Dash lights
              Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
              SS Brake Lines
              Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

Done,

My sincere sorrow and condolences. He raised a son to be proud of for sure, and sounds like he was just as good a man.

From experience I tell you it gets easier as time passes, and you will always want to pick up the phone and call to ask him something. Sounds like you had a great relationship and he will always be in you and with you.

Prayers and peace for you and yours.
                Don
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

Sorry to hear of your father’s passing. Sounds like you have many good memories of him. Prayers going up for you and family.

The Other Earl
                  80SG, 81SH, 80 standard parts bike, 81SH parts bike
                  and new to me 78 standard dresser

Comment

Losing a parent is hard, I found. I bet you have loads of great memories and how fortunate you are to have had such a relationship. And encouraging you with the bikes! God bless him
                    XS1100F 1980 European model. Standard. Dyna coils. Iridium plugs. XS750 final drive (sometimes). Micron fork brace. Progressive front springs. Geezer regulator/rectifier. Stainless 4 into 2 exhaust. Auto CCT (Venturer 1300) SOLD. New project now on the go. 1980 European model.

Comment

So sorry for your loss

It's always painful to lose a dad, but your sadness is made worse by how close you were with him. Of course, as others have said, that was a blessing in your life, and will continue to be as the years roll on.

Thank you for sharing your pain, and reminding us of how important and valuable it is to be the kind of encouraging father we all want and that you had.

Jon
                      Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
                      mods to come

Comment

Sorry to hear you lost your dad Don, only time can take the sharp edge off of losing a loved one. Been 10 yrs since I lost my dad, and I still dream about him.
                        Bone stock 1980 Special except for the exhaust and crashbars. Oh yeah, and the scabbard for the Winchester Defender.

Comment

So sorry to hear....prayers your way.

John
                          John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
                          '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
                          Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss. Chin up as life goes on even without those special loved ones. Sounds like your dad was a great guy.
                            2-79 XS1100 SF
                            2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                            80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                            Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Thank You All

Thank You Guys !!!!!

You all helped me to remember what we had and not what I lost !
                              He helped and encouraged me as much as any one could and more !
                              Sometimes had to kick me in the butt to keep me busy, something he had no trouble doing, he was always busy making furniture, fixing tractors and all things mechanical. I remember him telling me when I was about 12 to get him the 9/16 and I could not find it, I was frantically searching when I heard I've got it still holding the trans from our 59 Ford up with one hand.

Thanks Again ! Done };~)
                              76 XS650 C ROADSTER
                              80 XS650 G Special II
                              https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
                              80 XS 1100 SG
                              81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
                              https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
                              AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Working...
                              X