Dragon Tamer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dragon Tamer

It appears that The thread we started for Gary has been lost in cyber space.

Just can't let it go that easily. Those who posted here before please do so again.

Those who want to and haven't, please do,
    Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

I will miss him...I wish those with pics would repost please. I never got to meet in person, only on the internet, but his stories live on.

John
    John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
    '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
    Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Ha ha.......you would have really liked him John. Gary could tell a story and have you rolling on the floor.....................the crazy thing is................they were TRUE!
      Greg

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”

― Albert Einstein

80 SG Ol' Okie;79 engine & carbs w/pods, 45 pilots, 140 mains, Custom Mac 4 into 2 exhaust, ACCT,XS850 final drive,110/90/19 front tire,TKat fork brace, XS750 140 MPH speedometer, Vetter IV fairing, aftermarket hard bags and trunk, LG high back seat, XJ rear shocks.

The list changes.

Comment

Gary's memory will live on. The first Rally I hosted in 2010 Gary helped by bringing the first of many bags of cheese curds. I think those curds were more of a hit that anything else, well besides the beer

As BA80 said, Gary was a man of many stories and here he is in the middle of one. He had a way of drawing people in to hear them because his manner of explaining always drew laughter.

I will miss you friend
        XJ1100 Ruby Red
        XS1100LH "Midnight"
        1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

The stool in my garage was Gary's favorite place to park himself. He sat and told me stories while I kept bringing him beer.
          He cornered Bob Falters ear for a while here.

XJ1100 Ruby Red
          XS1100LH "Midnight"
          1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

A couple from the last Wisconsin ride.

Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
            '06 Suzuki DR650
            *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
            '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
            '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
            '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
            '81 XS1100 Special
            '81 YZ250
            '80 XS850 Special
            '80 XR100
            *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Gary hosted the "Lost Rally 2012"

He was a great cook and prepared Prime Rib on a spit. It was delicious.

And the trimmings with assistance of his pal Papa Smurf (sorry no picture of him)

Cooked in this milk can.

XJ1100 Ruby Red
              XS1100LH "Midnight"
              1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

Obituary

http://http://maurinaschilling.com/m...user_id=996089
                XJ1100 Ruby Red
                XS1100LH "Midnight"
                1972 MGB Roadster "sold"

Comment

That link didn't work Arlen, let's try this one.....

http://www.maurinaschilling.com/site...r=996089Isaacs
                  Greg

― Albert Einstein

The list changes.

Comment

Never got to meet the man. Only know him form his post on this forum. I will miss his wit.
                    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                    93 GSX600F
                    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                    81 XS1100 Special
                    81 CB750 C
                    80 CB750 C
                    78 XS750

Comment

Gary will be missed! Glad I was lucky enough to have met and ridden with him!

RIP Gary
                      Nathan
                      KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
                      K&N Filter
                      #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
                      OEM Exhaust
                      ATK Fork Brace
                      LED Dash lights
                      Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
                      SS Brake Lines
                      Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

So sad . . .

My condolences go out to Gary's family. Obviously it was a life cut short too soon.

Greg, good for you for putting this thread back up.

RIP.

Jon
                        Hill? What hill? I didn't see any hill! Why wasn't there a sign? And where are my keys?

80sg
                        mods to come

Comment

Having met and rode with him once You could tell he had a sense of humor and just a good guy, we had been emailing about the rally at my place and he was looking forward to it. I'm still planning on the get together and the ride will be in his honer and memory on Saturday. Again my deepest condolences to his family and friends. You will be missed Sir.
                          81 H

Comment

Gary

I met Gary here on .com, i had issues with my 1100, we had many online discusions about things and finally he said, it'll just be easier to show you.

he came over and we had a blast, he was a very good teacher and i learned many things about repairing bikes and it made repairing these old bikes fun.

since then i have worked on many different bikes and would call him over from time to time when i was confuzed or just needed some beer emptied out of my fridge.

i was confuzed last summer by him... he came over on the dragon (normal for him) and he asked me to take it for a drive to see if i could figure out why the front end was acting up in the corners. normally this is a simple thing for people to ask, untill you realize that there ARE only 3 people that have ever ridden the dragon (Gary, papa smurf(also the PO) and now me) i was honered by this and it was the turning point where the teacher had become the student, which was one of the greatest things to learn. it doesn't matter who you are, you can alway's learn and help others.

i was on rides with gary many times and the man was an excelent rider and pushed it to the limits, i wish i could be as good a rider, but i could only stay with him, i could never quite pass him.

i wish i could tell all the stories i know about him, but it takes a style of writing that only he had, and his stories were amazing to listen to, many of them were from a time gone by, there were less cops, less laws and rules just meant guidelines. a far cry from the days we live in now.

I am so fortunate to have been friends with this man, if you needed something he was there and i tryed my best to return his kindness and generosity. a better friend i have not found.

I will miss you gary
                            We will miss you gary.

Rest in Peace old friend

MindWebs
                            1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
                            1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

By the write-ups about Gary,I was very unfortunate not to have known him.I have both learned and laughed from his write-ups on here though. Condolences go to his family and friends.RIP Gary
                              FOXS-XS11SG

2009 Suzuki V Strom 650,Adventure in Touring,I call her "Smooth" SW Motech engine guard,Coocase top case w/ LED brake and tail lights,20" MRA touring screen w/adjusable bracket,Grip heaters,fender ex-tender,Givi hard sidebags

1980 XS11SG-sold
                              1999 Vulcan classic-sold
                              1982 XJ 650-sold

Old is only a state of mind......John

Comment

Working...
                              X