Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sailor's Plea: To ride his machine 1 more time, his story!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailor's Plea: To ride his machine 1 more time, his story!

I live at a marina on the loop near RIO Vista. I've a 79 xs1100 that I've dumped tons of cash into and no one can seem to figure out the problem. Motor was rebuilt as a high school auto shop project. Ran well for a bit, could still crank 130/140. Suddenly started miss firing almost to the point of running on 2 and popping on 2. Everyone wants to blame the carbs so they've been rebuilt like 5 or six times. Last shop repair, Jim's in Fairfield was a nightmare, bike was there all summer, just the way it happened. Someone onthis site suggested broken primary wires, jim agreed and found something there,he wasn't very clear as to what he did -- repaired the wires in some manner i guess. What he didn't do was replace the old unit with the one I bought here and had shipped to him.
    Now i'm dieing,throat cancer and scrambling to get all our boats up and running and sellable. No time to fix the old bitch but I'd sure love to go screaming down a delta road just one more time. There were a couple guys around the east bay area considering a weekend ride this way and seeing if they could "rescue" me.
    Didn't happen but I'm not too proud to beg.Anyone with the time, we can house you, feed you and take you out on the river to fish if you can get this beast tamed. Starts fine, runs fair till about 4000 then begins missing, loading,popping. Please I'm serious, I've maybe two more weeks, I'll take some pics of the bike tomorrow and display them. Doesn't say yamaha anywhere so with a harley rear fender, kawasaki front fender, custom tank to fork sheetmetal, I get a lot of what kind of bike is that. Feel free to call if you've suggestions, but it's someone with actual time and skill we need. I can'tspeak anymore so mywife will fill you in if you can help. ---- 19164719943

Very sorry to hear about your situation. Hope they can find a way to help you make it longer.

As to the bike, that is where the mains kick in IIRC. Have you looked at the plugs after riding it up at 4-5,000 try turning it off and looking at the plugs. See if they are white, or black and dry looking. Rich or lean. Do you get any black smoke when at those RPMs?

Electrically, could be weak coil? One coil feeds two cylinders. It should still be weak at idle and may show up doing the water test Prom has recommended to me in the past. warm it up and ride it, then spray water on the headers and see which ones are not as hot. Cabrs are fed fuel in two's paired 1&2 then 3&4. Coils are linked 1&4 then 2&3. So depending on which two are cold may give you some insite.

Do a search on here and I am sure you can find alot of info on this that can help you find the answer and test to check it out. Sorry I dont live closer or I would be happy to come help you out.
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

"That blows..."

Wish I were closer...
      You mention that someone has already done the pick-up coil wire fix.
      I'll assume for the moment that that's be done correctly.
      Now then... The pick-up wire assembly... is hooked to a vacuum advance unit. This is what advances the timing.
      It's possable that the vacuum hose to the unit has a hole in it, isn't connected, or may be connected incorrectly.
      If the hose is still good, ensure that it's connected to the ported tube sticking out of carb #2(second from the left) and not connected to the intake manifold, like the other vacuum lines.
      This would be the first thing I'd check if I could get down there.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I can't go today, but I CAN get up that way late Friday afternoon. I did speak with the mechanic when he was trying to fix it, so I think I can get it going. If you still have the "new" pick-up coils, that might save some time. Plan on me Friday, unless you have someone else step up.
        My cell number is 8312348721. Have your wife call if you still need the help Friday morning.
        VERY SORRY to hear about the medical.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Diver

I don't know enough to be of any technical help but if you need an extra set of hands I am 20 miles away. Make a fair go-fer.
          Rodger
          RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Thanks, I'll probably take you up on that. It looks as if it will be Saturday morning before I can leave, and I'll have most of the spares and some of the tools with me. My phone number is posted, so give me a call Friday evening and we'll try to set up a meeting time.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Sailor202, you are in good hands with these guys. Ray, Latexes, you're good guys for pitching in. Thank you for taking XSive care of a brother rider.
              1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Wish I was closer too. I'd be there to help as well. Hopefully DriverRay and latexeses can get together and get her going for you. Hope you get to enjoy just more then one more ride. Sorry to here about the Cancer. Enjoy the ride! It's well worth it.
                Chris

79 XS1100 Standard aka: Mutt
                87 Honda TRX350D 4X4: Old Blue!
                93 NewYorker Salon: Sleeper...
                71 RoadRunner 440 Magnum: Mean Green!
                69 Charger 440 Magnum: Pleasure Ride!

Gimme Fuel Gimme Fire!

Comment

Sorry to hear about the medical condition and wish i was closer to you.May God bless you!
                  1980 XS1100 SG
                  Inline fuel filters
                  New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
                  160 mph speedometer mod
                  Kerker Exhaust
                  xschop K & N air filter setup
                  Dynojet Recalibration kit
                  1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                  1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I would be more than happy to lend/let you barrow/sell you my '81 carbs. I am undertaking a fuel injection project and at some point will be getting rid of the carbs. If they were borrowed, I would just want to know that they would get back to me at some point. The carbs run great and I can jet them to fit however your bike is set up. Let me know if I can help.

My other tid-bit of info is that I helped a buddy get a KZ1000 going. We spent 3 years and at least a $1000 trying to get it going. We finally gave up and tore the engine down to bits. Turns out it had bent valves.
                    Last edited by 81xsproject; 01-14-2009, 10:42 PM.
                    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hi Sailor,
                      on reading the header I supposed it was your bike that was dieing. Reading the actual post to find that was yourself is sad news indeed. I hope and trust that those close enough to help can get the bike running for you to take on that last blast.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sailor, I can make a run to give you, Ray, and Roger some help this weekend - no problem.

Regards,

Scott
                        -- Scott
                        _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                        1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                        1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                        1979 XS1100F: parts
                        2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

79 test Carbs

Sailor, really is frustrating when the "mechanics" keep chasing their own tails and keep pulling the carbs on/off when the problem just might be elsewhere.

Here's a set of "test" carbs I cleaned/set up/synched for my 79 special.

They ran on my bike less than a month ago and helped me find the problem was not in my carbs but rather in my ignition system

If these can help out then I'll overnight ship them to you or any of the splendid gents with whom you are going to have some XS'llent face-to-face time with.

Lemme know if they're needed.

Comment

I really hope this works out for you Sailor... Unfortunate circumstances and my heart goes out to you and your family.

You guys who have offered (and are giving) help to this man in his time of need are to be congratulated for your efforts... Well done for taking the time to grant a dying man his last wish.

Good luck and I hope the ride is everything you wanted and more

Comment

bless you sailor

your dealing with more than body should have to ;;i,m along way from you but my thoughts are with you ride on!! slow mo
                              The Belfast Express {1980 xs11oo special/TC fuse box/mikes xs pods/bad boy horn!/mikes green coils/mac 4 into 2 exhaust/ standard bars/vetter fairing c/w ipod CD iphone am/fm radio/tkat fork brace ,,,tuned by tinman
                              moemcnally@hotmail.com
                              i AM THE KING OF NOTHING

the people here are great , doesn't matter about the bike really/hamjam ////

Comment

Working...
                              X