X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A good woman rides on

Shenandoah Daily Press

PA Woman killed in motorcycle crash I-81

WOODSTOCK — A Pennsylvania woman was killed Tuesday evening when the motorcycle on which she was a passenger was struck by a car, state Trooper D.A. Dean said.

At about 7:20 p.m. Tuesday, a 1990 Toyota Camry, driven by Wesley A. Newman, of Bridgewater, was traveling in the right lane of Interstate 81 south behind a 1996 Yamaha motorcycle, driven by Ralph N. Waltman, of Columbia, Pa., Dean said. Waltman's wife, Tracy, was also on the motorcycle, he said.

Newman, 24, moved to the left lane when he saw that the motorcycle was "having some difficulty," Dean said. Waltman was looking for his exit, he said.

The motorcycle then cut into the left lane and was struck by the car near I-81 mile marker 282, he said.

Both Waltman, 50, and his wife, 49, were thrown from the motorcycle, Dean said, and Mrs. Waltman was pronounced dead at the scene. Waltman was flown to Winchester Medical Center, Dean said, and his injuries were not life-threatening. She was wearing a helmet, police said.

When asked whether charges had been filed, Dean said the incident was still under investigation, but that excessive speed and alcohol were not factors. Both vehicles appeared to be destroyed, he said.

Traffic was "backed way up" as police handled the incident, he said, and I-81 north was shut down at one point so the helicopter could land in the median. On Wednesday, a Shenandoah County dispatcher said fire and rescue personnel from Shenandoah County, Woodstock, Edinburg and Mt. Jackson responded to the scene.
    Daily Staff Report

I talked briefly with Ralph from his hospital room, he was still sedated and difficult to understand, but managed to get a few words out. He thought he hit some speed bump or pothole that caused the bike to jump.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sally and I rode with Ralph and Tracy over many miles, in many parts of this country and Canada. You can see our ride report for this summer's 4,000 mile trek in the Ride Report forum.

Tracy was one of those patience-of-a-saint people. You know, never a bad word about anything or anybody, went with the flow, and had good ideas in challenging situations. While she was quiet most of the time, she did manage to get her point across when it was needed. She had a great sense of humor and loved her riding buddies, her husband, her children and adored her grandchildren (the "grandbabies"). On every long trip or rally, she shopped for special gifts for the grandkids and often carried these souvenirs in a backpack home to them.

Ralph and Tracy were looking foward to their first trip to the Vintage Rally and were traveling to join many close friends when the tragedy struck them and all of us who knew them.

Sally and I will miss a wonderful travelling companion and a dear friend. Tracy, please put a good word or two in to the Big Guy upstairs. We will meet you at the end of the ride.
    Marty in NW PA
    Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
    Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
    This IS my happy face.

Marty,
    Please offer my sincerest condolences to Ralph and his family. I had only met Ralph and Tracy in May at the 2008 East Rally. I envied their attitude towards life and their seemingly carefree lifestyle. I'm sure no one will miss Tracy more than Ralph. Such a tragic loss.

Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

No. I've read it over and over and I still can't believe it. I only met Ralph and Tracy a few years ago, but I have come to regard them as part of my extended family, as I do most of you here.

Tracy and I only exchanged a few words over the years, but she is one of those people that didn't need words to convey her toughts, her quick and constant smile told everyone who met her that she was right where she wanted to be doing what she loved.

Tracy, I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to know you better. Ralph, I cannot begin to imagine the magnitude of your loss.

I can think of no better tribute to Tracy's memory than to remember you both at your best:

Comment

Oh my.... so tragic...

Please let Ralph know we're thinking of him and keeping their family and friends in our prayers...
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Marty, please pass my condolonces and prayers on to Ralph and his family.

Ride on Tracy, may you only have sunshine and smooth twisty roads.

Brian
          Brian
          1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
          1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
          remembering the same thing!

Comment

Marty, Sally, Ralph,

Needless to say this is not a pleasant way to begin your morning. I'm shocked and deeply saddened by the loss of a kind and beautiful woman who was well known in the XSEast community.

If you know Ralph then you know Tracy was the love of his life. My heart goes out to him in this his darkest hour. Please add your prayers for Ralph to heal physically but also the most difficult emotional healing journey he has ahead of him. God bless Ralph. God speed Tracy.

Russ

Comment

There are no words that can truly express such a loss.
              Thank you, Randy, for such a wonderful photograph of a happier time for those of us who never had the pleasure of meeting Tracey. It gives a sense of two people sharing something that they obviously loved to do, and the joy they felt at heading out for the next adventure with their friends.
              I am so sorry for such a terrible tragedy for her children and grandchildren.
              And Ralph, having found my own 'riding partner for life' recently, I can't even begin to imagine your pain and loss. My heart just breaks for you.
              You both will be in my prayers, along with all of your friends and family. May God bless and keep you all.
              80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
              79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

This is the Ride Report post - our small group's good times this past summer. Those who don't know Tracy can see her here.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=18955
                Marty in NW PA
                This IS my happy face.

Comment

I am at a loss for words..this has just stunned me.Ralph...my heartfelt condolences.I had the pleassure of meeting you both at the XSEast rally.I've read this with total disbelief.How could something so bad happen to someone who was so good? Its not right.I am deeply saddened by this course of events.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Ralph and Tracy

Ralph

My deepest condolences to you and your family Ralph. I had the pleasure of first meeting Tracy in 2002 and at all rallies up until last year. I am and will be thinking of you both during your very difficult time.

I will say a prayer for Tracy and for Ralph's speedy recovery.

Your Friend,
                    Wayne Reddin
                    80 XS1100 SG "Phoenix"

"We are the type of band that if we moved in next door to you...Your lawn would die"
                    Lemmy from Motorhead

Comment

It will be difficult for most people to be there during the middle of the week, but here is the info on the viewing.

Viewing is 10-11 AM Wednesday, funeral immediately after.

Kraft -Workman Funeral Home
                      114 W Main Street
                      Mountville, Pennsylvania 17554
                      Phone: (717) 285-4513

"A" on this map
                      http://www.localcensus.com/listing/b_id/12041097.html
                      Marty in NW PA
                      This IS my happy face.

Comment

Marty...I lost Ralph's address...is there an address that we could send our condolences to?
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im
                          Marty...I lost Ralph's address...is there an address that we could send our condolences to?
                          Ben & others,

Ralph Waltman

3942 Marietta Ave Columbia Pa. 17512

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by MartyA
                            It will be difficult for most people to be there during the middle of the week, but here is the info on the viewing.

Viewing is 10-11 AM Wednesday, funeral immediately after.

Kraft -Workman Funeral Home
                            114 W Main Street
                            Mountville, Pennsylvania 17554
                            Phone: (717) 285-4513

"A" on this map
                            http://www.localcensus.com/listing/b_id/12041097.html
                            Marty,

For those that can't make the service is there an online 'Guest Book' associated with the Obituary?

Russ

Comment

"...is there an online 'Guest Book' ..."
                              Not that I am aware. I think everyone checking in here will let Ralph know we are all thinking of him and Tracy.

I'll be there Wednesday for the services.
                              Marty in NW PA
                              This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                              X